Help chosing bike!

williams

I know some good Avids that will last many winters and have some incredible hold - BB7. Also bite is pretty good (not like maguras of course) and there are even not bad modulation. I liked it more than vee's and hopes race. Can't compare to trials hopes because I don't want to buy this shitty trial zones with standard hose (Tech lever + stainless hose FТW! but it's impossible to buy brand new now unfortunately). But I liked hope rather for cool and "armored" look and the fact they are pretty resistant to impacts and more reliable than many other hydraulic brakes (all the maggies and echos obscenely fast starts to leak because of it's stupid construction and bad dust/dirt resistance). Shimano brakes are not an option if you have some -5 deg and colder weather, because it may cause leakage.

Edited by TriаlsRider

Shimano brakes are not an option if you have some -5 deg and colder weather, because it may cause leakage.

what did you try,a m485?:)

i got a bicycle workshop and we had no problems with shimanos in cold weather,only the 485 and they sucked even under the best conditions haha

Thanks for the tips everyone!

Not going to get bb5-bb7's. Don't want mechanic brakes on my inspired. Saints is the shit!

I will just have the avids on under the winter so I don't break the saints. Winters here can be as cold as -25 so I'd much rather let the avids suffer ;)

-20°,but that question isnt fair,only a fraction of all hydro brake users ever experience colder temps on their bike...

Experience of Russian riders tells us that Saints and other shimano brakes not the best option for cold winter riding. The problem was in seals that freezes and became non-elastic that causes damage to them. The same problem was with my echo tr brakes but in temperatures closer to -25 and colder. So the fact I'm sometimes ride outdoors in cold winter forces me to be pretty picky in choosing of brakes.

Also one more good thing about my BB7 (that have HORRIBLE sound, lol. it was because of condensate) that they are pretty irrelevant to conditions they used in(wet/dry/sandy/dirty/cold/dirty half-melted snow/slop/whatever) with standard pads (or other Sintered(metallic) pads).

Edited by TriаlsRider

Experience of Russian riders tells us that Saints and other shimano brakes not the best option for cold winter riding. The problem was in seals that freezes and became non-elastic that causes damage to them. The same problem was with my echo tr brakes but in temperatures closer to -25 and colder.

That might actually be true! My saint died after the winter and the seals started leaking in the lever. That might be a true thoery since we did have temperatures as cold as -27 a few days. :)

Yes, I wanted to buy one but when I heard about problems people having with them I changed my mind. Buy it to throw them in trashcan after few days of riding in winter? Not a smart move. If brakes costs as much - they MUST be good and reliable in all conditions. if they're not - this is a bad product, no matter how good it's breaking abilities. So for all who lives in places with cold winter shimano=shit.

Edited by TriаlsRider

Yes, I wanted to buy one but when I heard about problems people having with them I changed my mind. Buy it to throw them in trashcan after few days of riding in winter? Not a smart move. If brakes costs as much - they MUST be good and reliable in all conditions. if they're not - this is a bad product, no matter how good it's breaking abilities. So for all who lives in places with cold winter shimano=shit.

No brake is designed to be used or stand in -25 dude. And it's not the brakes fault if they break because your riding them in so cold conditions, just don't use them when it's that cold and you wont have any problems.

Why would you even want to go outside when it's that cold?

Yeah but we don't live in a real winter. Ours is obviously a crap one where shimano saints work AMAZINGLY well. This is why I owned a pair. Best brakes on the market, since gustav m's. no question

Bing knows it :)

No brake is designed to be used or stand in -25 dude.

What a lie, dude. Hopes feels good in really cold, at least they survived a week on my bike. Also what about cars? There are many car brakes in the world that works well in -25.. -30 and even -60 and more.

Why would you even want to go outside when it's that cold?

Because even -30 may be not so cold. Depends on air humidity, precipitation(snow) and wind. Because it's not only about temperature, it's about thermal conductivity of environment.

This may be pretty fun in winter outside. But, I love summer very much and hate winter, but this is our climate..

And there are a lot of Russians that rides in -20. And not so much, but there are people who rides down to -30 and even colder. I'm about biking generally(road bikes, XC, DH/FR), not only trials.

Edited by TriаlsRider

Also what about cars? There are many car brakes in the world that works well in -25.. -30 and even -60 and more.

thought about fluid volumes and piston diameters?the parts on our bikes are microscopic in comparison

also a floating piston cant get that cold,as it always drags a tiny bit

Edited by FamilyBiker

What a lie, dude. Hopes feels good in really cold, at least they survived a week on my bike. Also what about cars? There are many car brakes in the world that works well in -25.. -30 and even -60 and more.

Because even -30 may be not so cold. Depends on air humidity, precipitation(snow) and wind. Because it's not only about temperature, it's about thermal conductivity of environment.

Well that's a good test! (Y)

Plus, cars brakes get a loooot warmer than our disc brakes, and FamilyBiker covers the rest

I remember riding euan's element, and not being able to anything very TGS at all on it.

His fourplay on the other hand (not sure which model,must of been the better one as it had hopes?) was pretty awesome for gapping and sidehopping, it had trialtech high risers which made it ride awesomely.

I know some good Avids that will last many winters and have some incredible hold - BB7. Also bite is pretty good (not like maguras of course) and there are even not bad modulation. I liked it more than vee's and hopes race. Can't compare to trials hopes because I don't want to buy this shitty trial zones with standard hose (Tech lever + stainless hose FТW! but it's impossible to buy brand new now unfortunately). But I liked hope rather for cool and "armored" look and the fact they are pretty resistant to impacts and more reliable than many other hydraulic brakes (all the maggies and echos obscenely fast starts to leak because of it's stupid construction and bad dust/dirt resistance). Shimano brakes are not an option if you have some -5 deg and colder weather, because it may cause leakage.

You can buy the hope brakes that come on the arcade, tech 3 levers, braided hoses with trial zone calipers, just bought a set £145 each brake and £28 each disc, got them through tartys.

• 2 weeks later...

I remember riding euan's element, and not being able to anything very TGS at all on it.

His fourplay on the other hand (not sure which model,must of been the better one as it had hopes?) was pretty awesome for gapping and sidehopping, it had trialtech high risers which made it ride awesomely.

Haven't seen that this thread has gone on haha. But the funny thing is that Euan told me that the Element was best for static trials stuff... And some friends have said the same thing.

bear in mind euan is shit at static stuff.

So who should I trust now? :$

Geometry - Wheelbase: 1025mm - Chainstay: 385mm - BB Height: +20mm - Head Angle: 73˚ - Reach: 660mm

Geometry - Wheelbase: 1020mm - Chainstay: 375mm - BB Height: +25mm - Head Angle: 73˚ - Reach: 665mm

So basically: What geo would be best for pure trial moves? Like gaps and things like that. I was quite sure that the fourplay was what I was after, but after having some chats now it seems like the element is better for what I'm after. Help me decide please!