Swollen piston in '14 HS33

forteh

Having fitted my '14 HS33 lever back in late summer I haven't had much chance to get out on the bike so it was stored in the back of the cupboard for another time. Got it out yesterday to find that the piston in the lever had swollen in the water bleed and was wedged firmly down in the bore.

Took the lever blade off and managed to blow it out with my track pump (took 140psi mind) using the presta side of the head on an old section of hose with an olive attached and connected with the shroud nut. I mounted the piston on my drill and used a needle file and 1500 emery paper to machine it down till it's a snug sliding fit in the lever body.

Question is, having now machined it down will it be safe to use with water again? In my mind it will be ok because the nylon has already swollen and has now been machined to suit the tighter fit. Anyone able to confirm that it won't swell again?

I'm tempted to pick up a bottle of royal blood anyway as the '14 levers are supposed to be very good with it but it's always simpler and less messy with water :)

Good stuff, thought you might have the answer on this one :)

Ought to get some more olives as well, I've reused them in the past without any issues but there is only so many times you're going to be able to flare the lip out! Nowhere local to get them from though :(

Good stuff, thought you might have the answer on this one :)

Ought to get some more olives as well, I've reused them in the past without any issues but there is only so many times you're going to be able to flare the lip out! Nowhere local to get them from though :(

http://www.tartybikes.co.uk/rim_brake_spares/magura_hs33_olives_2/c5p28.html

I know where to get them from, I'm just a tightfist engineer and with postage it's going to cost £1.50 per olive - I have loads of old ones that have been cut off and with some careful persuasion with a tapered punch they can be reused :D