1st bike

pete1871

Being bled with water is perfectly normal for a trials bike, gives a better lever response and a firmer feel. They just need a rebleed every so often. It is a miles better feel than a royal blood bleed

So....my magura...it was filled,ish, with what looked like a mixture of oil and water, proper gunk, so I syringed it through in both directions, a good litre each way, until it looked as clear going in as it did coming out, I then had to take the lever apart as the tps (tpa?) Was seized, sorted that and lubed it, took the piston out while I had it apart and gave it a clean along with thw spring, reassembled and then bled it as the instructions on here, now I have 2 problems, I had to wind the adjuster out to get the right kind of bite on the lever which I understand is wrong because you are putting to much pressure on the winder also the lever now takes ages, even needs help, to return, like its sticking, possibly in the absence of the goopy mess that was lubricating it, so, I have a really good brake but its not set correctly and doesnt return properly....help! I just wanna ride :(

Oh and thanks to everyone so far for your help, I appreciate noobs just tend to ask stupid questions but I have done plenty of searching and googling and cant seem to find a definitive answer

Sounds like the previous owner made a shit job of bleeding the brake, occasionally the pistons can soak up some of the water and swell up causing them to stick which sounds like the problem you are having. You can either take the rubber seal off the piston and lightly sand it (the piston that is) or buy a replacement. As for the bite problem, what's stopping you getting the pads setup near the rim, are they really worn?

First of all, purchase racing line alloy piston from tartys or trials addict. Then remove plastic piston, throw it in the bin, and replace with alloy piston, lubed with Vaseline. Then do a water bleed. It should be fine after that. Then buy a set of coust pads, put a harsh grind on your rim, and set it up. Your brake should now bite and hold like a granny who's not had a brew for ages

So...sanded the piston and put a water/antifreeze mix in....bite is good, adjusted well, piston still sticking and lever not returning, yet it'll go into the master cylinder nicely without any fluid in it, can I flush the whole system with something to get rid of any oil goop that may be left? Brake cleaner or something? Or anyone want to swap a mechanical disc setup for this bloody thing? I have bled, cleaned,refurbished and rebuilt motorbike brakes for years and never had problems like this!

does it have the return spring in position?

Sorry for the really dumb question, but t happened to me once, that t should work perfectly and with pressure the piston went back,but it was sticking.

Then I found he spring laying around... :D

So...sanded the piston and put a water/antifreeze mix in....bite is good, adjusted well, piston still sticking and lever not returning, yet it'll go into the master cylinder nicely without any fluid in it, can I flush the whole system with something to get rid of any oil goop that may be left? Brake cleaner or something? Or anyone want to swap a mechanical disc setup for this bloody thing? I have bled, cleaned,refurbished and rebuilt motorbike brakes for years and never had problems like this!

Like I did, Order a new spring and alloy piston, for the sake of a tenner its really a no brainer. Flush the whole thing out with isopropyl alcohol until its clean. Then water/antifreeze bleed like before and it should be fine? Where are you based by the way? Maybe I can help if it somewhere near Doncaster