My quite unattractive build

marshole82

Alright there you lot!

Had the trials bug for a while and have been mooching on here a bit, getting info and the like!

Wanted to buy a full bike but can't justify the outlay so I've decided to Frankenstein a bike together from what's in my garage and eBay/pinkbike/forums.

It'll take a while, and it'll be shit, but if I'm just as shit then I won't have lost much!

So, today I have taken my first steps....and bought a frame. Its aluminium with a small dent. Nothing major for a beginner, if I end up being any good then I'll upgrade. The paint job on it is (I'm told) terrible in finish, although I quite like the design in a weird way.

post-36575-0-24440000-1391380980_thumb.j

That's right, Planet X Zebdi if what I've been told is correct.

135mm and vee only. Perfect. I'll get a better pic up when its delivered, but if anyone has any ideas on a colour scheme I'm open to ideas :-)

Oli

• Like 1

i'm doing the same with an orange air-o frame and old tat...but i did have a f and r avid juicy3 and 203 disc. it doesn't matter if this stuff breaks...i forgot i had it and found most of it in old carrier bags in my shed!

1418947_361554327275420_2090784762_o.jpg

1780534_540547666042751_453698950_o_zpsb

i can help with paint if you're local to gatwick...i own a classic car restoration business....we can paint frames too!!

How much did you pay out of interest?

Pretty neutral geometry which is great for learning the basics, just get that paint stripped off!

Yeah i'm happy with it for £20 posted :)

and was thinking satin black but can i be bothered to paint it? i'm not sure. might just hoon it together and not give a monkeys....

More to the point how did you get hold of the guy on pinkbike's ? He messed me about over 4 weeks trying get it. in the end I just gave up. I got a mk5 and I love it .great bike get it set up right and you will have loads of fun on it.

took him about 3 days to reply but then i noticed his mobile on the ad so text him. he used whatsapp to get back to me. although now you have me worried that it'll actually turn up....

i'm doing the same with an orange air-o frame and old tat...but i did have a f and r avid juicy3 and 203 disc. it doesn't matter if this stuff breaks...i forgot i had it and found most of it in old carrier bags in my shed!

i can help with paint if you're local to gatwick...i own a classic car restoration business....we can paint frames too!!

You'll want to shorten that stem by about 3 feet!

• Like 1

Cheers dude, i'm about 3 hours from you so might not be cost effective lol. as it has a dent and its aluminium i'm not expecting it to last past my beginner stage, and i'm pretty handy with an aerosol (i painted my old car with £30 of cans from our local cheap paint place).

sticker bombing?

Couldn't see the orange on my work PC so just checked it and its ace :-) really good to heme for the bike!

You'll want to shorten that stem by about 3 feet!

Was thinking of running a long stem due to my height - would that mess the geometry too much?

Yeah i'm happy with it for £20 posted :)

and was thinking satin black but can i be bothered to paint it? i'm not sure. might just hoon it together and not give a monkeys....

took him about 3 days to reply but then i noticed his mobile on the ad so text him. he used whatsapp to get back to me. although now you have me worried that it'll actually turn up....

I am sure it will dude Edited by old boy chez
  • Like 1

not yet! Sent Friday with MyHermes but i'm struggling to get a tracking number from him.

May have to withdraw my paypal gift if i can. if it's not here by tomorrow then i'll be looking to do something about it. would be a shame for 1 guy to spoil the trust people have on forums.

Cheers! Glad it arrived. Sometimes you have to trust people. I wouldn't gift big money, £20 is an amount I wouldn't miss, although I'd be narked off obv.

It'll be a while before its finished but I'll put my progress up on the thread that will hopefully end with me doing some actual trials lol