Mountain bike on a budget.

How Original

I quite fancy getting riding again, down the canal, fields that kind of thing, just pretty general riding and wondered what people would suggest?

Strictly speaking if I really wanted I could spend £1,000+ but don't really want to, so just wondering what about £250 would get me on the second hand market?

I've been using a Giant (quite an oldish one) but it rides really good, downside is now theirs no suspension and I'd like some on the front, the seats rock hard and the gears are twist grip.

So I'd just like to update a bit, I'm not really sure what size I'd need, but I'm 5'10" and a bit overweight (hence wanting to start riding again)

Anyone got any suggestions I could at least have a look into? :)

Pretty amazing what around £300 gets you secondhand, I wouldn't look at spending any less though unless you don't mind investing a load into replacing drive trains and stuff. If you are only doing smooth stuff then do you really need suspension? Fatter tyres may be more suitable for the terrain you are describing

Which Giant do you have? It may be that you can upgrade it for very little to make it more into what you want it to be

I fancy front suspension at least just because it's not exactly smooth ground, if I was rding just on roads thenn yeah but it can be a bit gravelly and pot holey as well so front suspension would be nice.

I did think about just looking at upgrading the current bike but I think for what I'd have to spend on new parts, or wait for the right second hand parts to become available, it'd make more sense to just buy something else.

I can't remember what model it is, but it was bought about 12 years ago, despite still being in very good condition, it's only done about 500 miles, most of those being done by me.

I know I'm not going to get anything particularly amazing, but for now I just want something that will do the job, a friend of mine had a nice Carrera which I think he paid about £450 new for, I can't imagine they'd be much over £250/300 second hand now, just can't remember the model though lol.

Edited by How Original

Yeah the Carreras and Voodoos are very good value for money, also worth checking out Rockriders (from Decathlon) too. Try and avoid FS bikes at that price, they will either be low spec or fairly worn out although there will occasionally be some way under priced bikes that need snapping up!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...