Music In Motion: On The Wire

Dobbie

Hey guys I thought I would share this with you because as fellow trials riders you might find this interesting. This is my final year project that I have been working on this year...and yes I managed to make it involve trials riding ;) It is attempting to bridge the audiovisual divide between music and sport in live entertainment performance.

All the music in this edit has been created and manipulated live by the movements of the rider and bike using various emergent technologies. No external editing or mastering has been used in this production. This is the pure soundscape created by the rider himself, using the bike as an instrument and the terrain to create the music.

If you are interested in how the bike is physically creating the composition then check out the short walkthrough video linked at the end of this edit.(Link only works if you are on a desktop sorry) I will also include on this page the behind the scenes edit from the filming at Southerndown in South West Wales so you can check out some of what when on.

If you want more information on this project head over to www.musicinmotion.co or follow us on Facebook: Music In Motion

• Like 2

Hey Aener

No I don't actually have any sensors in the wheels, what you are spotting is the small battery packs that are powering the EL wire that is in the wheel itself. The Xbox Kinect is tracking my movements around the performance area and then Max is using that data to manipulate elements in Ableton Live (Pan, Volume, Overdrive, Reverb ect.. depending on what part of the composition I am in)

I was beginning to suspect something like that :P

I got the rest - watched the info video ;)

Did you write the tracking patch, or base it off something else?
I found Jitter to be a complete and total bitch with the Kinect, but then I was only fooling around and had no vested interest in actually making it work. Haha. Did you use an XBox or Windows one?

It could've been cool to put a sensor of some sort in the wheels - I'd wager you could even route a speedo in - and patch the speed/accel of each wheel through to an LFO or delay or something.

Or maybe stick some piezo's on brake levers and feed that to MIDI events. Stick a ratchet strip on up against a pot for an analoge signal, and then combine that with the wheel speed signal could be really interesting. Wheels on FM and levers on Mod or something. Probably want dual disc for that I guess.

Man, this actually sounds really fun.

Stick another pot on the topcap and patch that to Pan, and you/bike could basically become a synth voice! Haha.

Awesome, glad the walkthrough video is getting some use and not just me looking like a dick...and saying obviously a million times ;)

The tracking patch was based of the KVL patch that was released a while ago but i had to make a good few adaptations for it to work with my project. Yea it is hard to get get jitter to work but you can find a few cheeky ways to get it to do what you want, it just takes bloody ages!

I was thinking of using sensors in the wheels and actually attaching flex sensors to the brake levers then interlinking the two. Unfortunately it would have taken too long to figure it all out and i was confined by time and assessments :( I have also done tests with free runners and BMX riders and its really cool what different sports can bring to the performance.

Hahah yea man it is really fun but you know what its like working with Max sometimes it can really drag.