Fort William and Loch Lomond info

Duncy H

Hello folks,

Might be a long shot but I'm competing in Loch Lomond at the weekend and will have an afternoon/evening to myself on Friday, is there anywhere people can reccomend to spend some time? I was thinking something along the lines of a bit of sightseeing with the 7d camera.

After the weekend I'm going up to fort bill with some mates on the mtbs. Is there anything particularly worth doing/visiting while we are up there? Plan is a couple of days riding the Nevis range and a couple of days doing whatever in the area.

Cheers.

If you're traveling up Loch Lomond side to get to Fort William, then stop at the Drovers Inn for lunch, or at least a drink (its a must!!) I recommend the mince and tatties. It’s a 100 odd year old pub with some delights inside. Make sure and explore and have a good look round. It’s pretty much the top of the loch on the west side

You could also climb Conic Hill (piss easy) on the east side near the bottom of the loch. It won’t take you long (an hour tops) and it gives great views of the loch from the top.

As for Fort William. Have you got anywhere booked for accommodation yet? I could recommend a few places including MacBagpackers for a Hostel and Glen Nevis Camp site. Every time I go to FW I go to ride trials, so I don’t know what else you could do up there but its got the status of outdoor capitol of the Uk so im sure you could find something to do.

There’s loads of pubs and all are friendly, so don’t be scared to walk down any wee alley ways to get to one... :- The Grog and Gruel is pretty good for food and beer selection. There's always a bit of night life at the weekend with live bands playing in the Ben Nevis bar, so don’t be surprised how busy it gets for a small town.

Could go on but that'll do you for now. Just ask if you have any specific questions.

ps. im f**king jealous you're riding the Nevis range on the mtbs. Ive been told the red route down from the gondola is immense!

The DROVERS!

You'll get your ars hole reemed in the Drivers Inn ;)

Good man. You could also climb Ben Nevis if the weather was decent. Theres probably still snow at the top so that could be quite epic.

Oh, on the way up too, you could stop at the Kings House hotel. It gives perfect views of Buachaille Etive Mor. You'll know what that is when you see it. :P Look out for the jar of midges (all caught in one night by the midgey machine)

If the weathers crap then you could walk up the Glen Nevis valley from the top carpark (just keep going past your camp site) Big waterfall at the end! Ice climbing at the climbing centre in Kinlochleven. Good food and beer at the end/start of the footpath up Ben nevis (other side of river from camp site) great fun cycling pished back down to Fort William in the dark with no lights! Sorry cant remember its name but its not hard to find. All the mamore tracks above Kinlochleven even one goes to Fort William (part of the west Highland way. long cycle back to get cars but you can just go and have aplay.) Have fun