Folding Bikes

BeNNy

Hi Guys,

It's been a while since I've been on this forum!

Does anyone on here own a folding bike? What are your thoughts on them?

I'm considering getting one for commuting/short distances. The one I have my eye on from Decathlon - the brand is BTWIN, I think they are made by Dahon (the slightly more expensive range).

The Brompton bikes look awesome but out of my budget unfortunately :(

Cheers,

Benny

folding bikes are ace! just make sure you like the folding mechanism on the one you choose.

the carrera ones from halfords are worth looking at; if you join british cycling you get 10% off the rrp...

the proper dahons are excellent bits of kit, and should last very well, as will the bromptons. be critical about how long you plan on owning/using it, and how often your going to use it too. if your only using it lightly and occasionally just go as cheap as you can. you should know from trials bikes that if you want it more reliable and be longer lasting you'll have to pony up more cash...

If your planning on owning/using this bike for a long time, then I'd say you really are worth trying (if possible) to stretch your budget to a Brompton.

They fold smaller and faster than other comparable models, and ALL the spares are available. If you damage any folding bike specific part on a Dahon, Tern, Carrera etc and it isn't covered by warranty - you'll have a hell of a job getting hold of the bits.

Every part of a Brompton is available after market as a spare - right down to the tiny bits you wouldn't even think of.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-shopbrompton_pg1/

They are also a proper riot to ride once you're used to them.

Edited by J.KYDD

Bromptons are f**king fun to ride too, there's no flex like in normal folding bikes. They're surprisingly fun to wheelie too although that's not what we're here to discuss.

Most folding bikes take half a minute or more to fold, Bromptons take like ten seconds, if you're quick it's more like 4.

Another thing is there seems to be a Brompton owners club, like similar to classic Volkswagens, Harley Davidsons etc. They have exclusive races and competitions. Seriously it's definitely worth getting a Brompton I've not known a single person to dislike or regret buying one.

If your planning on owning/using this bike for a long time, then I'd say you really are worth trying (if possible) to stretch your budget to a Brompton.

They fold smaller and faster than other comparable models, and ALL the spares are available. If you damage any folding bike specific part on a Dahon, Tern, Carrera etc and it isn't covered by warranty - you'll have a hell of a job getting hold of the bits.

Every part of a Brompton is available after market as a spare - right down to the tiny bits you wouldn't even think of.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-shopbrompton_pg1/

They are also a proper riot to ride once you're used to them.

I'm gonna be the bloke to ask if Dr Drei was riding one of those in his Berroca ad?

Haha, cheers for the replies guys. Yeah I've heard really good things about Brompton and they do look awesome. Though it's definitely out of my price range since I'm only planning to use it for short-term! I want to invest in a decent Road Bike at some point so that will replace the folding bike.. it's just that work makes it a bit inconvenient to own a Road Bike right now.

I think I'm going to look into Tern / Dahon actually, they seem pretty reasonable and there are quite a few on Gumtree/eBay.