Help! - Broken Headset!

Zog

Hi,

I purchased an onza ska a few weeks ago and I recently went away, I had to take of the headset at the front so it was just the bike frame and rear wheel.

When re-assembling the front I believe I put 3 rings back around the pole to attach the headset to. Now when I move the bike there is about a 1cm movement of the handlebars forwards or backwards before the actual bike part moves. I think the word would be its "Loose" If you are looking down on to the handlebars from being on the bike the alan key screw going down just spins when I try and tighten or loosen but the two alen key screws from the side do tighten and loosen.

Please see the video:

I don't know how to embed a youtube video,

Thanks,

Alex,

Sounds like you've stripped the thread in the starnut maybe? Did you definitely put it back together correctly so there was a 5mm or so gap between the top of the forks steerer tube and the top of the stem?

The setup should be something along these lines

post-24247-0-72885500-1401460889_thumb.j

undo pinch bolts on stem, tighten the one in the center of the top cap. it should be tight enough to stop the wobble when you have your front brake on, but loose enough that the forks can still rotate freely. get to this point then tighten the stem pinch bolts.

if the bolt in the top cap goes solid, you are probably missing a spacer

cheers, ash

Hi thanks for all the comments, When re-assembling the headset I think I put some of the "rings" or spaces back in the wrong order causing the problem I think I will get a shop to look at it as I carnt even get it off the bike to replace,

Thanks Alex