Tarty build a bike

AlexClare94

Right so I'm doing this build a bike thing with tarty to get the GU 26" cheaper and better than the complete bike that they provide.. Now I know that some of the parts may either be known for breaking easily or whether they don't last very long, gunna put a list of he parts I've set up so if there's anything rubbish or worth changing on it please let me know :)

Cheers Alex

Frame - GU 26" Orange

Forks - Echo Urban 2013 4bolt w/disc

Front Hub - Echo TR non disc 32h

Rear Hub - Echo TR Rear non disc 32h

Front Wheel - Inspired Team 26" CNC Sidewall

Rear Wheel - Inspired Team 26" Rear CNC Sidewall

Front Tyre - Try-All Shift 26"

Rear Tyre - Try-All Stiky Lite Rear 26"

Brakes - Both Magura HS33 2014 2 Finger Blade

Brake Pads - Heatsink CNC Yellows

Cranks - Trialtech SL Forged ISIS 165mm

Freewheel - Rockman 72 click (18t)

Rear Sprocket - Echo Splined 15t

Chain - ZMC Z610 HX 3/32"

Pedals - Echo TR Caged

Bottom Bracket is fitted with the frame - Echo Urban ISIS

Bash ring - Trial Symmetric Drilled Version

Headset - Echo SL

Stem - Echo TR 165mm x 25 degrees

Grips - Try-All Foam

Bars - Try-All Carbon Riser

That's pretty much the bike I've built.. To my standard it seems pretty sick but I've heard that allot of parts aren't as good as they make out when it comes to physically riding, so let me know whether there is anything I should definitely change

Cheers Alex

According to Tarty this bike will weigh in at 8.95kg and cost around £1452.54 which is £100 cheaper than the full bike on tarty... And it's my own custom, to be honest I like the sound of this bike.

so let me know whether there is anything I should definitely change

Cheers Alex

Your profile picture?

I would go to a hope pro 3 front hub ( 30g gramm heavier and extremely durable, designed for DH)

About the rims: wait for someone for a single wall vs double wall rim on trials

You want 4 finger lever maggie, I had them and duuuuude, yeah

everything else is fine I guess :)

• Like 3

If he went for a Pro 3, he'd also have to get a front QR - I'd much prefer to run a bolt-in hub.

That rear sprocket wouldn't work with that hub (splined vs. screw-on). The rear rim would probably make setting your brake up at best inconvenient and at worst impossible due to it being pretty narrow and that frame being designed to run a much wider rim. I'd probably spend the extra and go for a better freewheel too. Only other thing would be that the cranks seem a bit on the short side to me, but I know some people seem to like running short cranks on stock now.

If he went for a Pro 3, he'd also have to get a front QR - I'd much prefer to run a bolt-in hub.

Yeah, but after I saw that he chose a double wall rim on the front for trials I thought that he is making a bombproof front wheel, and for that a hope would be the best option

What is wrong with QR? for rear wheel I like the bolts that is correct, but for the front, QR is fine for me

That rear sprocket wouldn't work with that hub (splined vs. screw-on). The rear rim would probably make setting your brake up at best inconvenient and at worst impossible due to it being pretty narrow and that frame being designed to run a much wider rim. I'd probably spend the extra and go for a better freewheel too. Only other thing would be that the cranks seem a bit on the short side to me, but I know some people seem to like running short cranks on stock now.

Yeah I was tempted to put the 175mm cranks on, and I was thinking the trialtech sport lite rear? Would that work? If so with what sprocket and free wheel would you advise?

Your profile picture?

I would go to a hope pro 3 front hub ( 30g gramm heavier and extremely durable, designed for DH)

I don't really like the 4 finger blades always seem to get in the way, I've always preferred the 2 finger blade as I only use 1 finger when riding

I don't really like the 4 finger blades always seem to get in the way, I've always preferred the 2 finger blade as I only use 1 finger when riding

the 4 finger blade does not mean that you must use the brake with 4/2 fingers, it means it is longer, I used mine with 1 finger as well :)

(and you cannot get the 2 finger from tarty :/)

• Like 1

Hahaha Hippy you lad

Your profile picture?

Happy now lads? Haha probably not but it's the first bike I ever built from scratch

• Like 1

Frame - GU 26" blue

Forks - Echo Urban 2013 4bolt w/disc

Front Hub - Echo TR non disc 32h

Rear Hub - Echo TR Rear non disc 32h

Front Wheel - rockman single wall

Rear Wheel - trialtech sport light. (the rockmans' are out of stock)

Front Tyre - Try-All Shift 26"

Rear Tyre - Try-All Stiky Lite Rear 26"

Brakes - Both Magura HS33 2014 4 Finger Blade

Brake Pads - Heatsink CNC Yellows

Cranks - Trialtech SL Forged ISIS 165mm

Freewheel - jitsie

Rear Sprocket - Echo Splined 15t

Chain - ZMC Z610 HX 3/32"

Pedals - Echo TR platform

Bottom Bracket is fitted with the frame - Echo Urban ISIS

Bash ring - Trial Symmetric Drilled Version

Headset - Echo SL

Stem - trialtech 165 x 35

Grips - jitsie foam

Bars - trialtech high riser

ive edited to what i thing it should be

Edited by jack dickinson
  • Like 1

Yeah I was tempted to put the 175mm cranks on, and I was thinking the trialtech sport lite rear? Would that work? If so with what sprocket and free wheel would you advise?

Sport Lite rear rim (and hub, to be fair) is a good shout. Just remember you won't be able to use clamps like the Echo TRs with them without having to spend a while bedding the pads to the angle of the rim. One other problem I just thought of would potentially be the cranks - I seem to remember hearing the SLs don't clear brake cylinders on the GU frames too well so might be worth asking the guys at TartyBikes about that to make sure.

Apart from that, any screw-on 15t sprocket would be fine really, and the Echo SL or Jitsie freewheels would be an improvement over the RockMan.

With the 4-finger blades, you'd just put them further in-board on your bars. You get quite a bit more power from them (on the '05s it was something like 16%) so it's worth going for them realistically.

32h front hub, 28h front rim...

I've spent allot of today chopping and changing bits and bobs.

Got an Echo TR on an Echo TR Disc Hub

Trialtech sport lite rear rim

Monty M5 Freewheel

Echo TR HYD Disc with Jitsie pads

Rear Jitsie screw on sprocket

And yes I did the platforms in this edit as well :)

Gone for a higher Stem Echo TR 170/30

And the grips?? Are they better for lasting and feel or?

One other problem I just thought of would potentially be the cranks - I seem to remember hearing the SLs don't clear brake cylinders on the GU frames too well so might be worth asking the guys at TartyBikes about that to make sure.

Apart from that, any screw-on 15t sprocket would be fine really, and the Echo SL or Jitsie freewheels would be an improvement over the RockMan.

Yeah that would be a bummer, thanks for the advice I'll get onto speak to tarty ASAP. Would you recommend any other form of Cranks? Wanna keep this bike nice and light haha even though adding a disc has increased the weight to 9.1kg

I've spent allot of today chopping and changing bits and bobs.

Got an Echo TR on an Echo TR Disc Hub

Trialtech sport lite rear rim

jitsie freewheel

front maggie, or a bb7 or saint.

Rear Jitsie screw on sprocket

And yes I did the platforms in this edit as well :)

trialtech 150 x 35!!!!!

And the grips?? Are they better for lasting and feel or?

I'd not bother with any form of echo brake. Even with jitsie pads. 100% vote for an sl freewheel, I can't comment on the jitsie but have heard good things. I ran try all cranks on my gu with no issues. I'd be going for a 150x30 stem as well. Mine came in at 7.7kg so it's fully possible to get that weight down... tubes is a good place to start, but that depends on how harsh you are haha

trial tech foam everytime.

Go for a jitsie freewheel or echo SL

I've always used grip tape around my bars and always found them to be a nice grip until sweaty haha, but would you be on about the thin grips or the normal ones?

I'd not bother with any form of echo brake. Even with jitsie pads. 100% vote for an sl freewheel, I can't comment on the jitsie but have heard good things. I ran try all cranks on my gu with no issues. I'd be going for a 150x30 stem as well. Mine came in at 7.7kg so it's fully possible to get that weight down... tubes is a good place to start, but that depends on how harsh you are haha

I did at first want the Maggie's on the front but I dunno Maggie's are a pain in the arse...but if I did would having the Heatsink pads throw me over?? If so that's good ;)

Coust/adm pads all the way. No harm in a front disc though, just don't go for an echo. Personally I'd be getting different forks but that's more of a preference thing.

I've gone and added the Try-All Karbon forks now :) and hmm to go front Maggie with what pads?? What are coust/adm pads? Can't find anything on tarty haha

I've gone and added the Try-All Karbon forks now :) and hmm to go front Maggie with what pads?? What are coust/adm pads? Can't find anything on tarty haha

Ahh tell a lie I know what you meant by it haha they seem pretty top spec :)

Come to Leeds tomorrow there are a few of us riding we can show and tell you what's best :) also get a feel for different bikes and set ups. Add me on Facebook if you're game search for Daniel James cox

See I moved to France literally 5days ago :// sure as hell am missing the riding around Leeds, that's why I'm getting a decent bike setup so when I order to France I don't realise I've missed something haha

Coust/adm pads all the way. No harm in a front disc though, just don't go for an echo. Personally I'd be getting different forks but that's more of a preference thing.

Them Karbon forks bumped up the price to abit over my budget haha will stick with Echo Urbans 2013 for now