New (ish) to Trials - few brake questions

duncanp

Hi all,

Good forum you have here!

I used to ride trials 10/15 years ago and recently have had a hankering to get back into it.

Back in the day I always wanted a Pashley 26Mhz, but couldnt afford one. I found one last week and snapped it up as my new ride. Attached photo.

I intend to restore it to its former glory, but its in pretty good nick any way.

The rear rim is heavily ground and no matter how much i adjust it, the brake howls like mad and resonates through the steel frame. I swear you could hear it a mile away!!

Anyway, its no good for me, and a shame as it was a really nice mavic ceramic rim.

Is there any tricks to reducing this noise (different pads/sand off the grind), or am i going to have to get new a rim?

Duncan

post-37134-0-23031600-1404803470_thumb.j

Grinding a rim is a pretty common thing in trials, especially if you want a brake that works! The only thing you can do is replace the rim but if you do make sure you get a set of pads that work well on a smooth rim like Heatsink Yellows or you'll be in for some pain!

If I want to be honest, enjoy it. you will get stockholm syndrome about it and start like the sound and when you go for a different brake you will miss the power, sharpness and the sound of a good maggie

• Like 1

Interesting! Back when i started in trials, we used to use road tar (which I see some people still do) but I'd not come across rim grinding until last weekend.

Do you guys just put up with that noise as a sacrifice for decent bite? Its like when i pull the brake lever im sounding of an air horn!

I will try some other pad types like those TNNs before switch for a standard rim finish. Fingers crossed!

I did try some standard black magura pads on the ground rim, 10 pulls on the lever and the pads were completely toasted!

the noise doesn't concern me at all to be honest if anything it lets me know my pads work :P it depends on what rim your using too, ive got this shitty onza one and some tnn lgm pads and it doesn't make noise till I put tar on it anyway

black maggies are to forget

Actually when I had it I used it as a horn, as it wous loud enough, but at proper braking you could see people faces :D

I had a maggie, the pads worn in an angle, they were good green rockmans, the mounts were fcuked, the rim was actually properly grinded

For commuting I could not use it to slow me down, as the wheel locked immediately, otherwise it was just noisy

For trials use, they bit, and there was no god that could move the wheel

I would say give it a go, have a good feel with good pads and mounts, with a fresh grind, and see how does it perform :)

This is partially why front disc is the way forward! To be fair you get used to the noise, it doesn't bother me at all anymore and you kind of get accustomed to what your brake sounds like when it's working and how the noise changes when it's not performing like it should. People still use tar but that's all down to personal preference, the one thing that a grind dominates over tar is when it's wet a brake with a grind still works!

Could try sanding the rim and seeing how it is before you fork out on anything. Often a completely smooth rim is louder and has more bite than a sanded down grind. Could also try running one 'good' pad and one 'shit' pad on a sanded rim. Sounds like you're not too bothered about out and out hold and bite but want to actually drag and modulate your brake?

Thanks guys,

Could try sanding the rim and seeing how it is before you fork out on anything. Often a completely smooth rim is louder and has more bite than a sanded down grind. Could also try running one 'good' pad and one 'shit' pad on a sanded rim. Sounds like you're not too bothered about out and out hold and bite but want to actually drag and modulate your brake?

Good call, I'll try sanding before I give up on the ground rim.

Yes your right, hold and bite are not that important to me. A little bit of slip is ok. Im a big fan of manuals so brake modulation is a must whilst i re-learn the balance point.

• 2 weeks later...

nice bike you got there, reminds me of the bikes i used to see while growing up. I find that using heatsink blues on a smooth rim works for me, but was thinking of getting a rim grind at some point. I also find that using a front disc is so much better imo.

Hi, I also rode trials 13 odd years ago and got back into it over the last year or so.

I too had never heard of rim grinding til then either!

I rode a kona 16" with v's and never really struggled at all you dont need magura's just some good v brake pads.

Ive just bought a 20" bike thats got v's and ground rims I changed the pads and there is plenty of bite!

Racks me off when people tell people you need this you need that when you dont, I learnt the basics on a 18" gt timberline with rst forks!