Black Friday Deals - What's the gist behind it all?

Rusevelt

Out of the Red and into the Black.

Personally over thanksgiving weekend I picked up a fattire bike (Mongoose Dolomite) for $200, a Chromecast for $25, and a Samsung Tab 4 (8") for $180.

Here black Friday has evolved from opening a little earlier on Friday to being open all of Thanksgiving and the Friday after (Thanksgiving is always on a Thursday).

I've worked 3 of these doorbusters now at one of the biggest retailers in the world.

2012 was by far the worse for me. We Re-opened the store at 8pm Thanksgiving after being close since 4pm. We opened that morning at 8am and there was a few people in line outside waiting to get in by nothing major. However, when we opened the door we realized after about 10 mins the people entering hadn't stopped yet. We got around 300 people in 20 mins. This was the first time we'd been open thanksgiving apparently and were not prepared for it at all. I got hurried back to layaway and did those for 2-3 hours missing all the shit that was going on in the rest of the store. Luckily our store has a system where they give numbers to the people in line that will correspond to the item. So before the doors open the item is already there so there was no major rushing to electronics.

Since 2012 we've been open from 7am Thanksgiving morning till 10:30pm Black Friday. We don't really have major pricebreaks like $80 TV's so there's a lot less insanity and more good old fashioned shopping for good deals.

Edited by JT!

In New Zealand we have Friday....

I suppose it doesn't help that we don't have Thanksgiving (We weren't invited to that dinner).

So New Zealand folk just do what they normally do on a Friday, go party away their paycheck instead of buying things that they might actually need like, quite commonly, food for their children.

• 3 weeks later...