Electric Guitars

Ash-Kennard

Hello everyone,

I am looking for a new guitar, not too sure what I want, been out of the scene for a few years, quite a few brands I have never heard of before out there.

I played for about 7 years before I went to Uni about 5 years ago, took my guitar somewhere and lost it. (Devo!) Previously owned a mahogany wood Yamaha Pacifica, very basic guitar, but sounded alright. Is it worth going to the expense of a Gibson Les Paul or can I get away with something a little less pricey?

I enjoyed playing back in the day, but never had the time, finally I do, but no guitar :( I used to enjoy playing the rock school songs, so around grade 6 level. so that means a guitar that is nice for pissing about with and quickly flicking the strings but can also take a thrashing. My Pacifica had a double humbucker and I did like that, but never really knew if it was essential.

I'm sure there are some Guru's on this forum. Some advice required please, I am open to budget, but would prefer to spend about £500 considering i'm not sure how much I will use in the future.

Any of the ones here worth considering?

Any others please give me a point the right direction.

Cheers, Ash

PS Also Vaguely considering Bass guitars, but I have no idea where to start with that, so again some advice would be nice.

Edited by Ash-Kennard

Probably don't want to spend that much on a LP if you're not sure how long you'll be playing for. Probably don't even want to spend £500 straight away.

Fender or Fender Squire strats seems to be what a lot of (semi?)newbies go for. I started on a strat type guitar.

Do you have a particular style of guitar you like? Les Paul shape? Strat shape? Tele shape? Colours? Hard to recommend a guitar as there's so many options!

I like the look of the Warlocks, never had one but they seem to get decent reviews. I only have pointy rock/metal guitars so I don't know much about Fenders & the more classic stuff. Depends what you wanna play. I paid £140 for my Ibanez RG370DX and it's brilliant. £500 is way overkill unless you want brand new.

post-1701-0-64070100-1420126522_thumb.jp

Edited by LEON

I bought the BC Rich Warlock bass. Ordering it in from the USofA

The missus is a music teacher, so if I don't get on with it i'm sure I can flog it.

Actually getting pretty excited now. Haven't been excited about music for a very long time. Should be good.

Cheers, Ash

Edit: Also, was only £203 pre shipping and tax (~£100 :o ) so in a way I have gained £200 in the weirdest of logics. Should have budgeted 1000 haha.

Edited by Ash-Kennard

Any ideas is Agathis is okay as a body wood? The version with the widow head is made from mahogany and every fibre of me is thinking that mahogany is a better wood. but the better looking version IMO has the Agathis body. I'm all about function over fashion though so what is the better wood type you reckon?

Agathis is a cheap body wood. I've read tonally they're okay, unless you plan to do some body work it'll be fine. But of course a proper mahogany body will be better, but still there's good mahogany and bad mahogany. I won't get into the guitar tone wood side of things, it never ends haha.