Strongest crank/bb?

Jake.

Nobody mentioned Middleburn cranks? They're supposed to be unbreakable.

I have snapped one before. But they were ancient, not dangerous snapping either fortunately. However... Lifetime Warranty

Not ffw compatible unless there is an adapter available

Not strictly true. they were something like 6 pairs with FFW threads on them.

The biggest issue with middleburn cranks nowadays is the offset. If you have +40bb on stock, even with a 128mm BB, the cranks come very close to calipers, so unless you are rear disc it isn't really worth it.

Jake, I would go TT Race of Reset Steel BB. With try-all ISIS cranks.

I have the cranks and rate them highly. I also have the Ti version of the BB which has been zero issues so far, but I know you are fat, so go steel axle.

Edited by Ash-Kennard
  • Like 2

Middleburns are brilliant, I snapped one arm after exactly one year of constant abuse and big drops (Race face Turbines lasted me 6 weeks from new)

I saw one of the threaded sets for sale, but I read on here that there wasn't quite enough thread or something so they weren't really an option for trials.

Middleburns are brilliant, I snapped one arm after exactly one year of constant abuse and big drops (Race face Turbines lasted me 6 weeks from new)

I saw one of the threaded sets for sale, but I read on here that there wasn't quite enough thread or something so they weren't really an option for trials.

They were fine for FFW, but not fine for FFW and Bash

Yeah I read up about the less than 10 limited FFW middleburns, square taper too unfortunately. Had just enough thread for a FFW, shame would have loved one of those.

Think I'm getting Alex Darks old truvativ, I also do kinda want the reset steel.

Reset: 251g

Trialtech race: 361g

Gigapipe team dh: 319g.

This makes me kinda lean towards the trialtech bb, maybe I'm being silly but I do believe heavier is stronger. I currently use the tryall cranks ash, I do have trialtech 170mm ones I may stick on, wonder how much of a difference 5mm will make to how it rides haha probably f**k all.

Yeah what I don't understand is TRIALS specific parts are becoming more and more designed to be as light as possible... Compromising strength too.

Stuff can be strong AND light when designed well. Trialtech Sport Lite BB and SL cranks, for example.

I've shagged 2 reset ti so kinda puts me off reset a tad, steel sounds more appealing though..

Personally I really wouldn't bet on it - read on...

Reset is the same / very similar as the standard Try-All BBs, non?

This. Thought they were identical personally, due to the amount of try-all parts (seemingly) coming out of a catalogue.

And I put in a try-all in a stock once, did some normal kind of TGS stuff, all <40in, then bent the axle to an unusable state like it was warm chocolate within about two months from new, from memory.

Also blew the drive bearing(s) on a like new 2nd hand try-all (thought I'd give them a fair chance, it was a tenner), can't remember whether it was the 14mm wide OE one or two 7mm wide ones like tarty's found was an upgrade, but either way it didn't take long at all.

As such, I wouldn't think that a reset steel would be any more suitable for your needs over a Ti, in any case.

Trialtech lite in steel or Ti seem to be a good shout if you've the ££, or use disposable onza ones if like me you don't.

Edited by CC12345678910