Marino Moth XL 2016

LEON

I think these subrosa evos have been my worst wheel builds, tyre moves a lot on these rims, 30mm is too thin, my 34mm octane ones, felt better but too heavy. The 33mm ones sound better. Out of my last 4 sets of wheels these are the only ones ive had spokes come loose, 4 on the rear and now needs straightening.

I sometimes find the Spank rims can be harder to stress the spokes because the rims are so stiff, did you do it by hand or did you stamp on them (my preferred method)?

I liked my SLX's, never snapped a pair and I had to do plenty of 10/11ft drops for shows. I did find that they'd bend or spin on the axle after a while which wasn't totally noticable until I went on other peoples bikes.

I'm now riding raceface cranks and they are pretty good! a little heavier than the Shimano but no bending and they feel incredibly stiff. They are sharp though and I keep cutting my ankle on them. 

I cant build wheels, tartys have done all my builds, including another set of spank stiffys which were fine. Not saying its tartys fault, just had most problems with these builds, tyre movement on the rim is the main one.

Tyre movement is going to be pretty independent from the build.  Sucks you've had issues though, not sure why that would be - we do plenty of builds here without anyone seeming to experience issues so I'm not sure what the deal is with that.

Yes its the rim with the tyre movement, the tyre goes on and off the spanks so easy, the octane ones were so tight it was unreal, really hard to get tyre on and off, i dreaded getting a puncture but tyre never moved when seated right. Maybe why the newer ones have bead bite? Also with the contis a couple of mine have started ripping on the beads in different places, anyone had that?

I know what you mean with the loose tyres, it seems as if some of the 6 ish pairs of Spank rims I've had are 1 or 2mm smaller than usual 24" rims, making tyres fall on and off.

Out of interest, are these made exclusively for Tarty/Danny/street trials? Now that no one else uses 24" wheels.

Edited by LEON

34 minutes ago, Dman said:

Yes its the rim with the tyre movement, the tyre goes on and off the spanks so easy, the octane ones were so tight it was unreal, really hard to get tyre on and off, i dreaded getting a puncture but tyre never moved when seated right. Maybe why the newer ones have bead bite? Also with the contis a couple of mine have started ripping on the beads in different places, anyone had that?

Could be - I haven't used the Subrosas much as when I first tried them ages ago (circa 2011, before they were cool ;)) they just seemed too needledick so I went for the Stiffys.  I've never really had an issue with tyres not seating properly on any of my Spank rims though really, just do the same "up to 60psi-ish until they bang then lower it to normal" technique and it seems to be OK.  Have seen Cap have some issues with getting a perfect seating with the Subrosas in the past though.  

I think I saw Ali start to get a tear in a Conti after a pretty hard sideways tyre folding landing, and I've seen it happen to a few other people too.  It was generally just some hefty tyre roll action that caused it.

29 minutes ago, LEON said:

I know what you mean with the loose tyres, it seems as if some of the 6 ish pairs of Spank rims I've had are 1 or 2mm smaller than usual 24" rims, making tyres fall on and off.

Out of interest, are these made exclusively for Tarty/Danny/street trials? Now that no one else uses 24" wheels.

Yeah, the Subrosa Evo rims and the new Spike Race 33s seem to be primarily for Inspired as far as I'm aware.  They don't really get used for anything else so I'd assume they just do batches of 24" rims for them.  We buy ours from Inspired, as can/do any of Inspired's other dealers.

• Like 1