Rear brake problems.

Julius Czar

I have a hs33 on the back of an echo lite. 

Ive been toying around recently with my brake setup and I can’t seem to get it right. I’m running cnc rock blues on a fairly sharp grind with standard magura clamps. I’ve recently fitted a booster as I was getting a good bite but no hold, but now it’s lackluster again! 

It seems like every time I get it working well, it’s amazing, but then something always ends up changing and I’m back to square one again.

Am I doing something wrong? I’m setting it up to the best of my ability but it never seems to work well, and I normally have to re grind the rim to get it working properly again.

any advice would be great!

I had a 2011 echo lite

wheel out, brake off, 

file across the brake mounts, to flatten off/square them up. Across and diagonally

echo washerless clamps work the best, in my experience. Use a fresh thin cutting disk and get the grind reasonable sharp. I used real cousts on an old echo tr rim and the brake was immense. Didn't need a booster. To me it sounds like your grind is losing its sharpness, what rim are you running?

Edited by bing
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, bing said:

I had a 2011 echo lite

wheel out, brake off, 

file across the brake mounts, to flatten off/square them up. Across and diagonally

echo washerless clamps work the best, in my experience. Use a fresh thin cutting disk and get the grind reasonable sharp. I used real cousts on an old echo tr rim and the brake was immense. Didn't need a booster. To me it sounds like your grind is losing its sharpness, what rim are you running?

Yeah that sounds like a good idea, I did have washerless clamps on there but they didn’t line up well so that should sort it. And I’m using an echo sl rim, it’s alright but the grind does seem to go dull fairly quickly!

9 hours ago, robkerly said:

make sure its spotlessly clean. oil from the chain or tiny amounts of weepage from the brakes or even off the tyres if youve ridden across a damp road spreads everywhere.  brake cleaner is good. personally i find meths and a clean rag is great on rims.  

I’ll get hold of some and go over it. Could’ve contaminated it with the tyre as I’ve had to repair a puncture recently. 

Thanks for the advice guys! I’ll have a go and see if it sorts it out.

When you get a puncture pop one bead/side of the tyre off the rim fix or replace tube then when you put the bead back on make sure you can get most of it on without it catching against the grind then the last bit just pop it on like normal then use a light sand paper to take off any dirt/rubber, much easier than having to regrind the rim

Edited by gage-mann
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, ogre said:

replace the c clips that goes round your caliper. they deform over time and guide your magura back to the 'old' position. this is probably contributing.

I have replaced them recently as they did exactly that, and I always make sure the opening lines up with the gap between the clamps too to ensure I don’t deform them again. 

Ive re-ground the rim and set everything up square again and it seems okay for now. I’m guessing it’ll go wrong again soon, then I’ll file the mounts and get hold of some washerless clamps to try and resolve it permanently!