Custom Frame Builders

Brettoll

1 hour ago, cwtrials said:

Bumping this thread.  I've had three Marino's built in the past, and still have one.  I'm looking to have a new frame made up.  In the past it took about 3-7 months to get a frame from Marino and communication was dreadful.  I've actually tried emailing, but am yet to get a response.  Looking to have a steel pure trials frame made up.  I'm a bit nervous to use a builder that hasn't made a trials frame before.

Any new recommendations on builders?  This is going to be a pretty drastic change in geo, so I'm not wanting to spend a ton of money on what could be a gamble.

Just make sure you know exactly which tube thickness at the butts the builder is using. Double butted 0.9 / 0.6 / 0.9mm is pretty good all around on the 2.1kg mark roughly depending on the addons. You can also go for a straight gauge 0.8 downtube for extra dent proof. Just stay away from 0.4, 0.6 and 0.7mm butted tubing. The bigger the diameter the stiffer it the frame gets. 35mm downtube / 28mm or 32mm toptube is plenty. Theres also 42mm DT available. Mtb S bend chainstays are usually in the 0.8 to 1.0mm. If the builder bends his own tubes you can ask to make straight gauge 22mm chromoly 1.0 or 1.2mm thickness walls (bmx type).

Check these links out:
https://www.ceeway.com/ZONA.htm
https://www.ceeway.com/Thron.htm

Edited by 31511_1442861986

Some good advice there ^^ Anyone can make you a frame, doesn't have to be trials specific.

I just got a set of tubes from Ceeway, good service and decent prices too.

Would probably get plain gauge 4130 for your experiment. That said, I have put nearly a year on an MTB frame I built from super cheap 1.2mm mild steel, and Flipp has built frames from it in the past too. Works fine if a bit heavy and dead-feeling.

21 hours ago, Adam@TartyBikes said:

Some good advice there ^^ Anyone can make you a frame, doesn't have to be trials specific.

I just got a set of tubes from Ceeway, good service and decent prices too.

Would probably get plain gauge 4130 for your experiment. That said, I have put nearly a year on an MTB frame I built from super cheap 1.2mm mild steel, and Flipp has built frames from it in the past too. Works fine if a bit heavy and dead-feeling.

Nice to read you guys are trying things out. Is there any pics somewhere? 

For what kind of frame these new tubes are going for?

Yeah, service is really good and Peter Evans is a really sound guy. Really helpfull finding specific frame bits in europe. Stuff that is not in the catalog like through axle dropouts and tappered headtubes. 

@cwtrials
A quick  "UK frame Builders" google search will get you in the right direction. There's plenty of good UK frame builders. 

If you want to get a bit more nerdy about it check:
https://www.velocipedesalon.com/forum/f11/

It's mainly US but you can find amazing framebuilders from all over the world, UK included.

1 hour ago, 31511_1442861986 said:

It's mainly US but you can find amazing framebuilders from all over the world, UK included.

1 hour ago, 31511_1442861986 said:

I'm actually US based . So that works nicely