Outer Bearing Race Stuck

Brian Bleech

The bearing race on the drive side of my rear hub stuck. The bearing race collapsed inside the hub. 

Any ideas of getting it out without damaging the hub? Would prefer to leave the Dremel as a last resort. 

78B95D4F-716F-4B5C-85C3-09FAF8D193EB.thumb.jpeg.e21ae40f9d6ff45f5ff5831de147c08a.jpeg

Have a blind bearing puller like this and tried to hammer it out with it but no luck. 

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oes-27059?seid=srese1&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5MLrBRClARIsAPG0WGx8LKfpKKzICI8bJau-6ElONuPRYCzJkBeGV9L0o6UM7FktDscc_0kaAnyPEALw_wcB

Maybe a little bit of heat from a blowtorch before using the bearing puller?

I managed to just about wedge a bit of bar with a very square edge in from the other side and just smacked it. Took some [careful] doing and there's a couple of marks on the inside of the hubshell, but none where the bearings sit.
Just be sure to do a couple of hits at 12'o'clock, then at 6, then at 3, then at 9 on the rim and repeat. The wonkier it gets the less likely it is to come out without doing damage/at all, and that'll keep it pretty flat.

Edit: My bar was 10mm round stock. When the edge folded over I just nipped it back with a file. Going slightly past square might help, but I was getting results with how it was and didn't want to change :lol: 

Edited by aener

18 minutes ago, aener said:

I managed to just about wedge a bit of bar with a very square edge in from the other side and just smacked it. Took some [careful] doing and there's a couple of marks on the inside of the hubshell, but none where the bearings sit.
Just be sure to do a couple of hits at 12'o'clock, then at 6, then at 3, then at 9 on the rim and repeat. The wonkier it gets the less likely it is to come out without doing damage/at all, and that'll keep it pretty flat.

Edit: My bar was 10mm round stock. When the edge folded over I just nipped it back with a file. Going slightly past square might help, but I was getting results with how it was and didn't want to change :lol: 

Tried that with a screwdriver but no luck, maybe I should give it more welly! 

I had a similar issue with a driver bearing shitting the bed and managed to pry it out using a flat head screw-driver and just working my way around opposing sides.  It was ball ache but it gradually worked.  Can appreciate that that bearing is a little deeper in the body though so might be trickier.

2 hours ago, Mark W said:

I had a similar issue with a driver bearing shitting the bed and managed to pry it out using a flat head screw-driver and just working my way around opposing sides.  It was ball ache but it gradually worked.  Can appreciate that that bearing is a little deeper in the body though so might be trickier.

Yeah I think it be a case of just taking more time with it