101 Ways to Torch a Rotor

Swoofty

I often ride with a very talented 14 year old who always manages to break things in interesting ways. His latest feat was breaking a support from inside a disc rotor. I've tried to limit his exposure to bad habits from the start, but this one came from a locked rear brake on landing a sizeable 180 drop. It sounded just like a spoke breaking so we searched for a missing spoke and only checked the rotor much later in the ride. That was a new one for me. It was definitely time for a new rotor anyway.

IMG_20200606_105715.jpg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Swoofty said:

I often ride with a very talented 14 year old who always manages to break things in interesting ways. His latest feat was breaking a support from inside a disc rotor. I've tried to limit his exposure to bad habits from the start, but this one came from a locked rear brake on landing a sizeable 180 drop. It sounded just like a spoke breaking so we searched for a missing spoke and only checked the rotor much later in the ride. That was a new one for me. It was definitely time for a new rotor anyway.

IMG_20200606_105715.jpg

Now that is interesting. Never seen a rotor break that way. I have bent a few but never imagined this could happen...

49 minutes ago, aener said:

That's a ridiculous breakage! :lol:

Does it still function completely as normal, or has it kinked a bit resulting in a massive snag when that part gets touched?

And most importantly, how much weight was saved in the operation?

The old Montys had silly little notches cut in them that were stress risers and lead to lots of cracking, eventually the try-alls would do similar things. That said looks like pad contact is a little high, is that a 200 and it should be a 203 or something?

On 6/15/2020 at 3:38 PM, PeterH said:

The old Montys had silly little notches cut in them that were stress risers and lead to lots of cracking, eventually the try-alls would do similar things. That said looks like pad contact is a little high, is that a 200 and it should be a 203 or something?

It's a 180 rotor and I mentioned the pad contact thing to him, but he doesn't want to file the adapter. I guess that could have played a part, maybe.