Front wheel spatial awareness drills? Especially for taps

cwtrials

Hey guys, I'm not normally too into doing drills or special training techniques.  Normally I just ride.  But I'm really wanting to improve my front wheel use and I know I'm going to need to spend some time working on it specifically.  I know taps and up to fronts are different, but I feel generally getting the front wheel to hit exactly where you want on the wall is kind of similar.  However I may be completely mistaken, so feel free to correct me.

On taps, I can on good days do them consistently, but never on anything higher than a normal up to rear.  Typically however, I tend to pull up too much and avoid the wall entirely or just barely touch it.  Similarly on ups to front I tend to way over shoot, instead of hitting it like I should.

Anyone have any drills / techniques / or ways of rethinking things that helped them?  For sake of conversation, it doesn't need to be specifically for my skill level, since I'm sure other people need to work on this too.

-Cheers

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Remember seeing that tutorial by James Barton doing taps on a rock and he’s making it look so easy. Also, pick any old school video by Phil Williams, James Porter, Neil Tunnicliffe and the likes.. they all used to smash their front wheels way under the edge. I’ve only proper tried once and I ended up mid air in a superman position nearly smashing my face in the wall.

Having said all that, I’ve noticed that whoever does touch ups are always riding 26” bikes and walls seem pretty high too.

Following........

A few weeks ago I was having a really good day and managed to consistently tap something a wall that was about the highest I've ever got up, a few inches above bar height, and even managed to get in a messy but legit hook.  It felt awesome.  Next ride was more normal and I couldn't tap much of anything. 

Honestly, I don't think I'm putting enough time on the bike these days to really learn new things.

• Like 2

On 12/30/2020 at 11:00 AM, cwtrials said:

A few weeks ago I was having a really good day and managed to consistently tap something a wall that was about the highest I've ever got up, a few inches above bar height, and even managed to get in a messy but legit hook.  It felt awesome.  Next ride was more normal and I couldn't tap much of anything. 

Honestly, I don't think I'm putting enough time on the bike these days to really learn new things.

nonsense.  I hope to learn things into my 50s, unsure about backflip but id like to learn how to roll fakie front wheel and proper g turn... 

As for taps/ find a non 90 deg flat rigid wall, something w a round slope on the edge or a little angle to it. Put your front wheel at the tap spot, with your chocolate foot at max power position... then roll bike back keeping rear wheel on ground, go till you are a full pedal stroke back- put a stick at this point. 

Then line up w the stick, and try it for a few hours a week! You’ve got it

• Like 1