Jump to content

Best way to bleed a Hope Trial Zone brake


Canardweb
 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi,

I am wanting to use an old Trial Zone disc brake on my mod. I have a feeling it will give better braking performance than the EVO 3 I have used until now, but maybe I am wrong. So is the Trial Zone better than the EVO3 lever? What do people think?

Also I have to bleed it and I have seen a ton of topics about it but no topic stated clearly what method works best for bleeding these. I usually just bleed it from the caliper to lever using a syringe full of DOT 5.1 and connecting it to the bleed port on the caliper. Then I open the lever oil tank and watch for all the air bubbles to go out. Once it's full I just close the tank and call it a day. Is that the best way? Or is there another method that works better?

 

Cheers

Edited by Canardweb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

30 minutes ago, Canardweb said:

I need some kind of bleed kit for this. I only have a tiny hose and a syringe so...

You don't need a special bleed kit at all for Hope, only a small hose. The funnel on top is just nice to have. Pop your tiny hose over the caliper bleed nipple, and to catch the fluid, either put a cup or bucket or something underneath the end of the hose, or just connect your syringe to it. If you go for the latter, keep the syringe supported, or the hose will pop off the nipple by itself when it starts to fill with fluid. I usually stick it between the spokes with my wheel on the floor so it can't rotate. Then remove the reservoir cap, fill it to the brim, start squeezing and opening the bleed port like in the clip above. Just keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir. When it gets low, pour in some more from the bottle.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Daan said:

You don't need a special bleed kit at all for Hope, only a small hose. The funnel on top is just nice to have. Pop your tiny hose over the caliper bleed nipple, and to catch the fluid, either put a cup or bucket or something underneath the end of the hose, or just connect your syringe to it. If you go for the latter, keep the syringe supported, or the hose will pop off the nipple by itself when it starts to fill with fluid. I usually stick it between the spokes with my wheel on the floor so it can't rotate. Then remove the reservoir cap, fill it to the brim, start squeezing and opening the bleed port like in the clip above. Just keep an eye on the fluid level in the reservoir. When it gets low, pour in some more from the bottle.

Thanks a lot. I will have to try that method since it seems to work great. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

No worries, good luck! About your brake lever question: the Tech 3 lever is a lot sturdier than the Trial Zone lever (which is a Race lever with a slightly longer lever blade). T3 lever blade feels a bit thicker, and the return spring feels stronger too. It is also more adjustable, but it is heavier. I have both, and the TZ feels fragile by comparison. I wore out the pivot bushing and hole of the TZ lever quite quickly, which gave a lot of unwanted play. Master cylinders are the same size, and I reckon leverage of T3 and TZ lever is about the same too, so not much difference in it power wise. I would personally always go for the T3 lever if I had the choice.

Edit: if you're comparing the TZ lever to the older Tech Evo lever, the TZ should give your more power, as the Tech Evo has a larger master cylinder, so less hydraulic leverage.

Edited by Daan
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Daan said:

About your brake lever question: the Tech 3 lever is a lot sturdier than the Trial Zone lever

Something else to consider with that is the slight dislocate feature you have with the Tech 3 blade. It means if you crash, there's that bit of 'give' to stop damaging the brake. The Trial Zone doesn't really have that. I've seen a few riders use them for street and end up breaking the lever due to the lever getting pushed or pulled the wrong way in the event of a crash. Typically it's just a case of replacing the pushrod and/or brass barrel, but it's at least a ride ruiner whereas the Tech 3 would generally be fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Daan said:

No worries, good luck! About your brake lever question: the Tech 3 lever is a lot sturdier than the Trial Zone lever (which is a Race lever with a slightly longer lever blade). T3 lever blade feels a bit thicker, and the return spring feels stronger too. It is also more adjustable, but it is heavier. I have both, and the TZ feels fragile by comparison. I wore out the pivot bushing and hole of the TZ lever quite quickly, which gave a lot of unwanted play. Master cylinders are the same size, and I reckon leverage of T3 and TZ lever is about the same too, so not much difference in it power wise. I would personally always go for the T3 lever if I had the choice.

Edit: if you're comparing the TZ lever to the older Tech Evo lever, the TZ should give your more power, as the Tech Evo has a larger master cylinder, so less hydraulic leverage.

I own both of these brakes and have actually two of each. I just wanted to know if there was any general consensus abouth which brake of the two was actually the best. I know about the differences about each but thanks for making them stand out more. Especially about the lever play developping on the TZ. That is indeed something to remember.

Edited by Canardweb
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, Mark W said:

Something else to consider with that is the slight dislocate feature you have with the Tech 3 blade. It means if you crash, there's that bit of 'give' to stop damaging the brake. The Trial Zone doesn't really have that. I've seen a few riders use them for street and end up breaking the lever due to the lever getting pushed or pulled the wrong way in the event of a crash. Typically it's just a case of replacing the pushrod and/or brass barrel, but it's at least a ride ruiner whereas the Tech 3 would generally be fine.

That is something I had never taken into account.

 

Seems the new Hope brake lever is best then...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...