Compatible Shimano Zee brake pads? (an alternative to the EBC cfa493r)

javimic

hi everyone,

I would like to inquire about brake pads compatible with shimano zee. I wanted to get the ebc cfa493r (red), highly recommended by john Shrewsbury, but they are impossible to find here in Argentina, even very difficult on the Internet (out of stock). so if anyone can give any good alternative, it will be welcome! I'm running  the standard pads and they suck for trials (zero power)... Thanks in advance

Zero power? Really? Might be worth looking at your set up. Disc size for example. Bigger the better for more powerer.

The Zee, if set up correctly, bled well, centred, bedded in properly etc, should be decent enough. The red EBC, as good as they are, will only give a little extra bite. Don't just think running the EBC will dramatically up the braking performance. 

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, La Bourde said:

Trickstuff power.

The Tricksuff brakes have a really good call in MTB and I can tell you from experience that these brake pads are amazing! I never used EBC red unfortunately, but you won't be disappointed with the Trickstuff power.

Thank you very much for your recommendation. I always check their website. I love the trixer and maxima levers for example...  this products are top-notch!

13 hours ago, Ross McArthur said:

Zero power? Really? Might be worth looking at your set up. Disc size for example. Bigger the better for more powerer.

The Zee, if set up correctly, bled well, centred, bedded in properly etc, should be decent enough. The red EBC, as good as they are, will only give a little extra bite. Don't just think running the EBC will dramatically up the braking performance. 

I am running 180mm shimano rt76 rotors. I could honestly bleed them and try again. These brakes are for my dirt jump (26") that I'm giving a trial touch to. It happens that compared to the standard of the hope trials zone it seems underpowered. But you're right, I overdid it a bit with zero power. I was thinking about the red ebc pads because I read that an experienced rider like Jhon Shrewsbury used them for at least 4 years and said that (for him) it would make a big difference... But I will start bleeding the Zees and then I will see what to do. Thank you Ross!

8 hours ago, javimic said:

I am running 180mm shimano rt76 rotors. I could honestly bleed them and try again. These brakes are for my dirt jump (26") that I'm giving a trial touch to. It happens that compared to the standard of the hope trials zone it seems underpowered. But you're right, I overdid it a bit with zero power. I was thinking about the red ebc pads because I read that an experienced rider like Jhon Shrewsbury used them for at least 4 years and said that (for him) it would make a big difference... But I will start bleeding the Zees and then I will see what to do. Thank you Ross!

Yeh at least give the brakes a good bleed straight through.

Best other places for the pads is possibly eBay, here’s a link for shimano saint/Zee are the same shape/fitting. https://www.ebay.com/itm/373836292282?epid=1837122529&_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item570a6120ba:g:j20AAOSwGKthw6oi&amdata=enc%3AAQAGAAAA4P%2B6va2zRfxSanakyZixyMYQKNNbaFIqSWzq5BCNaoMfLQhnZMA4EI7P%2FjLGSKXZGJz0DLMlyPzDFP%2BRXhC84tslPiSbYCVSyghbpHxT3qNieS7LJ78r%2FoU5nYmg%2BRMWqoyTh8ZFdRjPFdYloF%2FnwmZ4L2qLdjuTZzOxdzhyo5FNYajHpYFN7rZ40UIAYY6q8rR2obPWgO4tlTIIz5RrvvkJMph8J4kLOT5qWL2BhCu%2F7kLgp2Rr6fmSabtpC1J9s%2B6ZUt%2Bqq2EK29W4naMxcUy2NZ7MEMBKmUxt33CP5kQj|tkp%3ABFBM0O_OmI9g

Edited by John Shrewsbury
  • Like 1