Internal routing - cable rattling in the frame

DYAKOV

So I’ve got this issue and it’s not the end of the world but it’s pretty annoying plus any time the brake cable hits off the top tube I get a fright thinking that I’ve snapped the frame. I’ve tried to put a “stopper” made of a zip tie where the wee plastic insert is and it still allows some slack.

Are there any hacks to fix the cable so it’s nice and tight inside the frame?

See photo below

Cheers,

Nas

3BA35370-9D08-4CF7-97A7-7008718D497B.jpeg

Was about to suggest the same thing. My MTB is internally routed, and when I switched my gear cable over I didn't add a foam sleeve back on (I didn't realise it had one initially, when I pulled the cable out of the port the frame slid the foam sleeve off inside it, so to me it just looked like it had been a bare outer hose). As soon as I rode it it was abundantly clear it had had something on before. 

I picked up some of the same stuff as that Jagwire foam and it worked a treat. If you want, to avoid having to take the hose fully out of your frame you can just slice the foam lengthways then slide it on that way. I taped it up in intervals as I fed it in to avoid it splaying off the hose, and it seemed to work fine.

It was on offer pretty cheap from Wiggle. Just make sure you get the right diameter for your hose (they're either 5mm or 6mm from memory, you'll most likely need 5mm).

• Like 1

Cheers guys, didn’t realise there was a product off the shelf. Also my concern would be that in the case of me pulling my brake hose at some point I don’t want to have shit left inside the frame which would obstruct running a cable through it again but if it comes out with the hose, then that’s not a worry.

Thanks,

Nas

If your hoses/cables run through the frame smoothly you should be all good. They didn't on my Commencal, so even just running bare hoses/cables through sucked. 

Those foam outers are fairly slim and soft so even if you lost one in the frame it'd just push/squeeze out the way when the new hose went in.