Spank Spike Race 33 tubeless

LEON

I've got them front and rear tubeless and they've been spot on the whole time. All the older clips of Danny and Duncan (and Ali when he was on 24") when they were on Spank rims were using those rims, and I think they were all tubeless for the most part.

That was on 24" obviously, but it seems most 24" tyres work out being wider than the typical 26" tyres people are using these days, so if there were tyre roll issues they would be more noticeable. The only other caveat is I used/use inserts with them so that would give the tyre more support, but I do know of other people running them without.

I went to them from the Spank Stiffy 40mm rims and was concerned about going to narrower rims. They do feel different simply because the tyre profile changes dropping the inner width that much, but that was just a case of getting used to the feel of the tyre rather than a problem to overcome. I think I added a couple of psi just to get them feeling 'right' to me, but it really wasn't a huge change in pressure at all. As far as everything else goes though they're great. Stiff, strong, durable, really easy to build, etc. - couldn't really ask for much more.

• Like 1

Cheers. I've used them for a while but only with tubes, and I have my tyres a bit softer than most who ride similar things. I've also got the Light Bicycle carbon rims and they're so good I was just worried The Spike 33s would be a bit skinny, mainly with 90 degree gaps etc. Sounds like it'll work though. I use inserts on the back. 

I used to Love a Stiffy 40al on the rear but I just can't justify the weight. Hope's Wider rim looks good but again, too heavy. 

I'm about a decade behind the trends and advancements so I'm just trying to get things as light as possible. 

Edited by LEON
  • Like 1

Yeah, it's a bit on the soft side and I'm not sure how absorbent it would be - most inserts are keen to specify they're closed-cell foam. You can just buy closed-cell foam and cut and ziptie it to suit. I got some from eBay ages ago for some DIY ones, but ended up switching to Rimpacts and I've been happy with them. They're £50-ish for a pair, but come with some really nice valves (that work way better than normal valves do with inserts) so you're getting a bit more value for money with them at least.

I think you can get Nukeproof ARD inserts for a bit less, but you have to cut and shut them to suit your own setup so for the difference in price, I'd just get the nicely made Rimpact ones instead. I've had them in my trials bike for ages and have had them in my mountain bike wheels for the past 2 years and they're all good. Some chunks taken out courtesy of some unorthodox line choice, but despite the fact I once had to ride quite a long distance with my tyre completely flat, just relying on the insert in the rear they're in good condition overall.

Inspired have a tubeless kit out for £59 - it's more than the Rimpacts and ARDs, but it comes with the inserts (which you need to cut to length), some nice valves and tubeless rim tape too. If you've already got a tubeless setup ready to go, appreciate that that's probably less of interest to you...

• Thanks 1

The Spike Race 33 rims are very impressive. I've been using Light carbon rims for a while now, but recently built a back-up bike and put Spikes on it. I had forgotten how nice they are. Really well made with all the bells and whistles honestly. I'm still old school with tubes, but they've been 100% every time.

• Thanks 1

On 4/6/2023 at 11:24 PM, LEON said:

Was it ideal on the rear though? Guessing you changed for a reason. 

Only reason was pimpness 😁 Had issues with my rear Hope hub, bought an Industry Nine and thought I might as well go all in with a carbon rim. But of a waste of money but hey, bike sits in my office so I'm looking at it all day long.

As for the inserts, I've been using the Nukeproof ARD for a few years now, and they're ok. Not great, because they stretch enormously. I've had to remove them and cut them down some more I think 3 times already, otherwise they rattle around in your tyre, which I find really annoying. But protection must be alright, as they look pretty beat up and my rim doesn't. And they're not too expensive compared to other inserts and come with valves. Though for a piece of foam it's still rediculous of course 😋

• Thanks 1

Cheers all. I do already have new valves, tape and sealant so it'll just be one insert, I'll try and get some closed-cell foam first and make my own.

I did have a stretched, rattly insert inside my other wheel and it was killing me to know it was just banging about sounding like crap, so I had to take it straight out and cut it down. So I'd rather avoid one that's prone to stretching.