Green t rider asks: What would be the standard grip width to not kill forearms?

javimic

Hello everyone,

There is a personal factor but: What is the standard width grip to avoid killing forearms in trials? 30mm? My forearms are like rocks since I changed the grips. I had been using the odi longneck grips 🥰 for a year with no problem. No gloves. I changed them for a pair of Synchros dh lock on grips because they were the same ones I had on my DJ but the compound is different and the new ones gave me blisters the first time. So I wear gloves and now my forearms are like rocks as I said before. It seems that the gloves could be the truly reason because I am not used to wearing them. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Hi!

As you wrote, grips are something quite personal.

I cannot ride with grip too thin. 32mm suits me well. I tried 30mm may times but I got sore hands every time.

I think if you are not confident in your setup, you will get troubles with forearms (grips, gloves, brakes, etc.). Confidence might be even more important that the grips themselves.

One thing I notice too was, that the same grips but with lockon can be harsher, cause the compound is thinner. I went back from lockon and ride push-on grips hold by some wires (like in mx).

Do you feel well with the gloves?

100% personal sadly. I prefer the thin foam grips (Comas, push on). I tried bar tape, but it was never cushy enough. I also wear gloves, but they are the thinnest full finger available just to mitigate sweat. I'm currently searching for new grips for my BMX and sadly I haven't found any I like yet, lock-on or rubber. I can't use foam on the BMX because it doesn't stand up to the abuse of hitting the ground often.

I tried many different types of grips, including bar tape, Lizard skin DSP, ODI F1 vapor, etc.

As Swoofty said, bar tape is not cushy, I don't know how people can ride with.

Lizard skin DSP were quite good the first weeks but then they loose in comfort. They were too fragile too. The ODI vapor had a really good feeling, but they did not last two months sadly.

Now I ride some basic PRO push on grips (the brand of Shimano) that cost me 6€ and with some wire, I am really happy with. Lot of grip and rubber, quite comfy.

I've always been an advocate for single side lock on grips. I run the outside of my palm on the end of the bars, so having a double lock on grip would mean leaning on a harsh feeling bar clamp. I used to be a fan of the longnecks too but eventually found that the mushroom style had a little too much squish and my hands were working hard to compress the grip to find the core leading to arm pump. So a happy medium for me is the Burgtec Bartender or the DMR Deathgrip both in soft compound and thick (Deathgrip).

• Like 3

On 7/9/2023 at 7:32 PM, La Bourde said:

Hi!

As you wrote, grips are something quite personal.

I cannot ride with grip too thin. 32mm suits me well. I tried 30mm may times but I got sore hands every time.

I think if you are not confident in your setup, you will get troubles with forearms (grips, gloves, brakes, etc.). Confidence might be even more important that the grips themselves.

One thing I notice too was, that the same grips but with lockon can be harsher, cause the compound is thinner. I went back from lockon and ride push-on grips hold by some wires (like in mx).

Do you feel well with the gloves?

Good point! I don't feel good wearing gloves and I tend to over-squeeze  thinking I might loosen the bars. As a result, my forearms tire faster. If the odi longneck flangeless are not accordionized next to the lever, they will be perfect. I saw that Ali C put them lock on version  in his last Hex built. I hope they have the same compound.  🙏 

To prevent my grip to move, I do the same as described in this article with wire, but I do not glue my push on grips:

https://nsmb.com/articles/ditch-your-lock-grips/

I was sceptical first, I thought the wire will interfere, but it is not the case.

I agree with Ross too: I went back from double side lock on on almost all my bikes.

I used some Pro grips (again), the lock on trails ones, on my enduro and DH bike. 32mm.

• Thanks 2

On 7/9/2023 at 11:53 PM, Swoofty said:

100% personal sadly. I prefer the thin foam grips (Comas, push on). I tried bar tape, but it was never cushy enough. I also wear gloves, but they are the thinnest full finger available just to mitigate sweat. I'm currently searching for new grips for my BMX and sadly I haven't found any I like yet, lock-on or rubber. I can't use foam on the BMX because it doesn't stand up to the abuse of hitting the ground often.

Looks like I'm getting used to wearing gloves. However, I prefer hands free because I have to put less pressure on the grips. Maybe it's some insecurity of the rookie. I have never tried the foam grips (comas) but I would like to. My girlfriend has Salt Plus grips (with ribs) in her bmx and they’re awesome. 🤙🏻

Thank you all for the experiences and alternatives you gave me. I take note of many models. Unlike Ross I grip the handlebars in the middle of the grip and the double clamps don't bother me (by now). I read the article and it seemed contentious at first, but I'll give it a try if I ever use push grips again. Because I've suffered enough with some of them!

🍻

0FDA8695-30ED-4CB6-A2C6-151F357D9DE8.jpeg

EDAF5EF7-C5A8-4C68-AE50-5540EDF65AE1.jpeg

IMG_0859.jpeg