My first 20"...

Hello all. Haven't ridden trials for about 15 years, but lots of MTB/Fatbike/BMX since then.

I'm kinda set on treating myself to a new mod. I had a 2005 Norco Evolve stock bike 15 years or more ago. Was doing great until I tried sticking a bar end through my sternum. LOL.

Anyways, I'm in Northern Canada. Currently Yellowknife, but moving to Whitehorse this May. Graduating college late in life, and starting a new career. Pretty much nobody rides bicycle trials here, but a few moto riders.

So, no test rides. I want to ride natural obstacles, and some urban stuff. Love watching UCI Worlds and other comps. That's the style I like. I love my 20" Race BMX's. Small but long. Twitchy but nimble and responsive.

I'm likely looking at ordering from tartybikes, as I've been binge-watching Ali-C, and The Shin Dig, and both seem to like them. They look like a decent lot to me, too. The two I'm currently deciding between are the Extention Rise 20 and the Comas 1008 Entry Pro. Which would you suggest, and why? I'll add, I was a paid bike wrench for over a decade, and still have a healthy pile of tools. Both bikes are probably close to my max budget. 

I've considered used, but the well is dry over here, it seems. At least on the common sites. Maybe I'll poke around here a bit, too.

Thanks for letting me ramble on. I'm pretty stoked to get back into trials, and getting better than I was.

Aaron

Hi and welcome,

The extention seems to use a more modern conception (tapered headtube, 24mm axle cranks), but these parts seems to be proprietary.

The comas uses older parts, but they will be easier to replace.

So maybe the Comas will be better for you.

You can have a look at the crewkerz desire.

Webcyclery used to sell Crewkerz...

You are right.

I don't know whether the frame uses a specific tapered headtube or not. It looks for me like the Jitsie frame, which uses a non standard size (1"⅛- 1"¼ instead of 1"⅛ - 1"½). This forces one to buy a Jitsie (or in this case Extention) fork. (Or maybe you can build yourself an adapter for a straight fork tube)

If the frame uses this non standard size, I think the Comas is a better choice.

Extention is also quite new in the trial scene and even in the street trials one. Will they pursue the development of trials bikes? 

I guess both bikes are good enough.

They both have a modern geometry.

Maybe you will have to swap the brakes at a point of time.

I recommend Tartybikes too, they are great.

Or maybe a Clean X1? At least has a nice and normal 1.5" to 1.125" tapered headtube, and uses a chain tensioner instead of horizontal style dropouts, which is nice. They have a 15% sale going on their site too now.

• Like 1

On 1/27/2024 at 6:28 PM, La Bourde said:

You are right.

I don't know whether the frame uses a specific tapered headtube or not. It looks for me like the Jitsie frame, which uses a non standard size (1"⅛- 1"¼ instead of 1"⅛ - 1"½). This forces one to buy a Jitsie (or in this case Extention) fork. (Or maybe you can build yourself an adapter for a straight fork tube)

If the frame uses this non standard size, I think the Comas is a better choice.

Extention is also quite new in the trial scene and even in the street trials one. Will they pursue the development of trials bikes?

The Extention Rise uses a 'standard' tapered head tube, in the sense the frame will technically work with any standard tapered fork. The headset bearings are fully integrated (no internal cups here), so are straight forward to replace and widely available. Now you mention it, I will measure and update the listing to include info and links to relevant bearing sizes 🙂. As for frame standards, the Rise uses a 116mm 'closed' rear drop out. It looks like a thorough axle, but it is in fact a standard M6 116mm hub. The front fork is also a standard M6 fitment with 100mm OLD, and again, closed drop-outs. The wheels fit by removing the hub bolts, and there are machined slots on the inside of the drop-outs to guide the hub into place in the frame and fork. It's a neat way of doing things, and reduces stress from having an open-ended drop out. This does, however, mean you will have to use a roller tensioner with the Extention, regardless of the hub that you fit. 

Lastly, at Tarty, we stock the common spares for the Rise including cranks, hubs, sprockets and bearings. If you do need a spare, we should have you covered! We have sold through the tensioners, but have a few kept to one side for emergencies. More will be landing on the next order.

@Yukon Hopper as for which bike, personally I prefer the Rise. You get much more for your money (tapered fork, stiffer cranks, better pedals etc). The finish quality over all is a little nicer than the Comas, too. We purposely specified Magura MT Sport brakes on the Rise to keep the price down, but they still work great, and are really easy to set up. The BB is a standard external 24mm (Shimano Hollowtech II standard), so easy to replace should it be needed.

@La Bourde Extention seem pretty keen to continue with the Rise, and they're still making a good selection of trials parts alongside their street, and newer dirt jump products. We'll be looking to re-stock the bikes and spares on the next order.

Hopefully that helps answer some questions!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Maintenance Justice said:

The Extention Rise uses a 'standard' tapered head tube, in the sense the frame will technically work with any standard tapered fork. The headset bearings are fully integrated (no internal cups here), so are straight forward to replace and widely available. Now you mention it, I will measure and update the listing to include info and links to relevant bearing sizes 🙂. As for frame standards, the Rise uses a 116mm 'closed' rear drop out. It looks like a thorough axle, but it is in fact a standard M6 116mm hub. The front fork is also a standard M6 fitment with 100mm OLD, and again, closed drop-outs. The wheels fit by removing the hub bolts, and there are machined slots on the inside of the drop-outs to guide the hub into place in the frame and fork. It's a neat way of doing things, and reduces stress from having an open-ended drop out. This does, however, mean you will have to use a roller tensioner with the Extention, regardless of the hub that you fit. 

Lastly, at Tarty, we stock the common spares for the Rise including cranks, hubs, sprockets and bearings. If you do need a spare, we should have you covered! We have sold through the tensioners, but have a few kept to one side for emergencies. More will be landing on the next order.

@Yukon Hopper as for which bike, personally I prefer the Rise. You get much more for your money (tapered fork, stiffer cranks, better pedals etc). The finish quality over all is a little nicer than the Comas, too. We purposely specified Magura MT Sport brakes on the Rise to keep the price down, but they still work great, and are really easy to set up. The BB is a standard external 24mm (Shimano Hollowtech II standard), so easy to replace should it be needed.

@La Bourde Extention seem pretty keen to continue with the Rise, and they're still making a good selection of trials parts alongside their street, and newer dirt jump products. We'll be looking to re-stock the bikes and spares on the next order.

Thanks for the answer.

With these information, I guess the Extention is the way to go.

(Even if I hate IS headset in an aluminium frame)

Do you know who are the guys behind Extention?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Maintenance Justice said:

Ah! Thanks a bunch. Good to get some clarification, too. Looking forward to making an order at some point. The Rise is at the top of my short list now. (No pun intended!)

• Like 1

12 hours ago, La Bourde said:

Thanks for the answer.

With these information, I guess the Extention is the way to go.

(Even if I hate IS headset in an aluminium frame)

Do you know who are the guys behind Extention?

I believe it's one of the employees from Echo who runs Extention (happy to be corrected if I'm wrong!)

• Like 1