Chains

Daan

Broke my KMC Z1EHX last week with a loud bang, luckily without much damage to myself. Good reminder to change my chain more often. Found some KMC K1 chains (the regular, not the SL) on sale, thinking I'd stock up for future replacements. Are they any worse than the Z1EHX you reckon? Tensile strength not much difference, only missing the 'stretch proof treatment', that worth anything?

Worthless thread without pics (red paint is where I joined it back together, I tend to keep an eye on that, but then it breaks somewhere else of course :)

20240302_152719.jpg

Hi,

Good to hear you did not get bad injured.

Did you notice some scuffs on the chain?

Months ago my chain broke regularly and I then understood it was related to some hits on the chain (I had no bash at that time).

I just swapped my chain and bought two Z1HEX.

I run one of my cleep 26 for many months no, but I don't ride it currently as much (somehow it is refreshing to ride 20" )

I also tried a Izumi 410 chain, used in track racing and black on my street trial.

No problem with it neither.

I noticed there are now a  KMC e101 and z101.

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, La Bourde said:

Hi,

Good to hear you did not get bad injured.

Did you notice some scuffs on the chain?

Months ago my chain broke regularly and I then understood it was related to some hits on the chain (I had no bash at that time).

I just swapped my chain and bought two Z1HEX.

I run one of my cleep 26 for many months no, but I don't ride it currently as much (somehow it is refreshing to ride 20" )

I also tried a Izumi 410 chain, used in track racing and black on my street trial.

No problem with it neither.

I noticed there are now a  KMC e101 and z101.

Thanks! Thankfully it happened on landing a rolling bunny hop, not even touching the brakes! Must have been almost broken, and I've been very lucky, as the move I did before that was a drop gap off a meter high wall.

No scuffs on the chain that I can see, have always been riding with a bash guard too. I did destroy my rear cog last week (AbsoluteBlack aluminium, broke off some teeth, and cracked in many places, not really trials proof) but I can't image that can have anything to do with it. Just a bad luck week. 

I see the E101 has those cutouts, not trusting that :D Maybe I just best get some z1ehx's, theoretically slightly stronger than the K1, plus this is the first time I broke one ever in the 5 years I've been using them (and I should've replaced it earlier). Too bad you can only get the EPT ones now, I like the shiny silver more :) 

38 minutes ago, Szymon said:

Mine has the same amount of time and I also ride twice a week.🙄

I'd put a new one on!

Edited by Daan

7 hours ago, Daan said:

only missing the 'stretch proof treatment', that worth anything?

Quite significant for trials, IME.

A year out of a chain is quite exceptional I would say, for how often you ride and how good you are at destroying stuff 😁 suggest 3-6 months before changing, in future.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AdamR28 said:

how good you are at destroying stuff 😁

Huh, I just experience the occasional breakage :D 

Alright, dull grey Z1EHX it is. Maybe I should just order a 50 meter roll haha.

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...