Mac Mini

dirtbiker

I'm thinking about getting myself one of the new Mac Minis. The one i'll be going for is the 1.25ghz one with an upgraded 80gb hdd and the airport wirless upgrade.

Basically i'm looking for other peoples experiences with OSX:

I've got a Centrino based laptop, how easy will it be to have the Mac wired into my lan and use an ad hoc wireless connection to get the net on my laptop?

I've also got a 20gb plug and play (in xp, anyway) mp3 player. Will i be able to use this as a portable hard drive like i can on my laptop (without any software)

Are there any good bittorent clients for osx?

Think thats about it for the moment...

Thanks in advance. Info about the Mac Mini can be found here

Edited by dirtbiker

I've got a Centrino based laptop, how easy will it be to have the Mac wired into my lan and use an ad hoc wireless connection to get the net on my laptop? Very easy, with the right equipment, If the Mini is going to be the main computer, you would need an airport extreme station, if it will use a previously set up WiFi LAN, then all you need is the Airport card, which I think is standard.

I've also got a 20gb plug and play (in xp, anyway) mp3 player. Will i be able to use this as a portable hard drive like i can on my laptop (without any software) What make, most are, so long as they are set up as a portable storag device, I'm not 100% about conpatability between iTunes and Mp3 players other than iPods, it may be ok.

Are there any good bittorent clients for osx? Not sure, as I don't use them, but I know for definate there are loads of different clients. Jon M could probably advise you on that.

:blink:

I've used OSX at uni, and it's simple to use. I'd never used a Mac before and I'm not too techy with computers, but I didn't have any problems...

Apparently they're very reliable - the eMac I used at Uni had the animation projects (Photoshop files, FinalCutPro files and iDVD) of around 15people on it and it never stalled. Personally I prefer it to Windows, although it was annoying having no right-click for cutting and pasting, but the way you can drag-and-drop almost anything is handy.

About the removable storage- Mates of mine were using iPods as removable storage for project pieces. If yours only came with a Windows install disk, it may only support the file types which XP and OSX both use (Can't remember them off the top of my head, but I think word docs will be fine...)

Not that helpful I know, but hey, I've done my bit :blink: :(

Edited by Lunja

Apparently they're very reliable - the eMac I used at Uni had the animation projects (Photoshop files, FinalCutPro files and iDVD) of around 15people on it and it never stalled. Personally I prefer it to Windows, although it was annoying having no right-click for cutting and pasting, but the way you can drag-and-drop almost anything is handy.

*Ctrl+click* :blink:

I Couldn't be bothered to learn the shortcuts! :blink:

Would a two-button mouse work with a Mac, so the right button would bring up a cut/paste/copy menu?

BTW, have a look round Mac user sites, especially US ones. There's been comments made that Mac Mini's might be prone to overheating because of the small case. I haven't heard of this actually happening though.

Would a two-button mouse work with a Mac, so the right button would bring up a cut/paste/copy menu?

There are millions of cheap third party mice for Macs, they have to be USB though.

That'll be because everything is speculation - Nobody posting on the forums will actually have used one yet.

Indeed it is, but unless they have got a fan somewhere that I can't see it, I think it will cook itself. In fact, you could probaly cook an egg on the top of it if needs be... :blink:

*Goes on quest to find fan*

Edit2: *Ends quest to find fan*

The Noise. True to Apple’s recent hardware-design history, the Mac mini has an independently-controlled fan that turns on and off and adjusts its speed based on the Mac mini’s cooling needs. According to Apple, the fan runs at 22 decibels, essentially whisper-quiet. We had a hard time hearing any noise coming from the Mac mini’s fan, but then, no room at Macworld Expo is quiet in the way that a truly quiet home or office setting would be. We’ll have more on the Mac mini’s noise when we get one into the Macworld Lab.

I was wrong then...

Edited by Haz

The HDD player is the novatech one. I've never used the CD so i dont know about the compatability...

My house has a wired lan at the moment so i was reallly asking about having the Mac plugged in with the ethernet port and using the wirless between that and the laptop.

I'm going to be using my MS Wireless Desktop with it so i should have right click.

Cheers for the help guys!

The HDD player is the novatech one. I've never used the CD so i dont know about the compatability...

My house has a wired lan at the moment so i was reallly asking about having the Mac plugged in with the ethernet port and using the wirless between that and the laptop.

Cheers for the help guys!

The port in the Mini is really just a receiver rather than a broadcaster, you would need a station to broadcast. I think it would be easier to keep your laptop on the main network rather than branch it from your Mac.

As for the Mp3 player I will have a looksee...

Feel free to add me to MSN, jonmackinnon@gmail.com if you have any more questions... but...

Just listen to what Haz said. About the Bittorent clients, there are 3, Bit Torrent, Tomato Torrent, and Azureus. They are all good, with the latter probably being the best.

For wifi surely you can just set up an adhoc connection like you can with PCs.

Yeah, your Mac will just find the network straight away.

i've read all of this thread and understood none of it so in plain (computer illiterate) english acbn someone please answer:

1 - can i buy a minimac and use it like i'm currently using my pc?

2 - will the minimac be able to do word type stuff or is it music + video only

3 - what are the main problems with only having a minimac likely to be?

4 - should i just go buy a pc/laptop or wait and get a minimac???

(oh yeah i don't need it til oct when i go to uni...

i've read all of this thread and understood none of it so in plain (computer illiterate) english acbn someone please answer:

1 - can i buy a minimac and use it like i'm currently using my pc?

2 - will the minimac be able to do word type stuff or is it music + video only

3 - what are the main problems with only having a minimac likely to be?

4 - should i just go buy a pc/laptop or wait and get a minimac???

(oh yeah i don't need it til oct when i go to uni...

Yes.

It can do everything your PC can (Word, Photoshop, Play videos, burn dvds/cds/etc.).

None that I can really think of, although I'm not going to say bad stuff to try and put you off getting one cos I'm a Mac user.

Wait and get a MiniMac

To Spunky-Monkey: Macs are so great that you can install Windows on them! (Using Virtual PC7 I believe...)

There's even versions of Microsoft Office for them called Office X...

If you're looking for a monitor for the macMini, you could get on of their 30in Cinema displays... :(" :blink:

If you're looking for a monitor for the macMini, you could get on of their 30in Cinema displays... :("  :blink:

No you couldnt :S Needs a G5 and a f**k-off good graphics card to run it... or is that if you are running dual...

I dunno, but yeah, Chris, and Spunkey, get one (each)!

To Spunky-Monkey: Macs are so great that you can install Windows on them! (Using Virtual PC7 I believe...)

There's even versions of Microsoft Office for them called Office X...

If you're looking for a monitor for the macMini, you could get on of their 30in Cinema displays... :("  :blink:

All wrong, except Office.

To install windows, you have to pull the thing to pieces, put in a completewly different set-up.

VP7 is a Windows Emulator, it does not instal windows, all that happens is a window pops up with an XP setup inside it, like a boot up partition thing, but not. It's for running windows only software.

For the 30" screen you need a MUCH larger graphics card than the Mini can carry, there is no way in hell you can fit a 30" screen.

Ahh..... :(

Well sorry people - I stand corrected.

I've been on eBay trying to buy a PowerBook, and people have been saying that it runs WindowsXP using VirtualPC, and showing a screen-shot of Windows running.

And the thing about the Cinema Displays is kind of annoying - was going to get one to sit at home and plug in to my PowerBook when I win the Lotto tomorrow! :blink:

Ahh..... :(

Well sorry people - I stand corrected.

I've been on eBay trying to buy a PowerBook, and people have been saying that it runs WindowsXP using VirtualPC, and showing a screen-shot of Windows running.

And the thing about the Cinema Displays is kind of annoying - was going to get one to sit at home and plug in to my PowerBook when I win the Lotto tomorrow!  :blink:

The 20 or 23 will run fine.

Good luck with the lotto :) Give me some of your winnings and I'll be your best friend!

Oh and VPC runs slow as shit, took me yonks to install XP (about 2 hours) then I couldnt even do anything with it as it ran so slow, but I've yet to try it on my G5, that will be tomorrows project :S .

Edited by MonsterJ

cool, are they much more expensive? if i bought the minimac would i have trouble transfering word etc documents over onto a pc using a usb flash card? i really don't know much about computers :blink:

i do have an old pc upstairs but its got milenium on it and i can't work out how it works, how difficult is it to completely wipe my hard drive and start over? how much does a copy of xp cost and do you have to get an original or can you pirate it?

cheers all

Mac programs DO NOT work on Windowz

Windowz programs DO NOT work on Macs

UNLESS they have been ported over.

Like trying to run deseil in a petrol car......

Or Stock wheels on a Mod...

Here's a list of ports I know of...

Windowz - Mac

Office - Office X (But use OpenOffice.org instead - they have a free MacOSX port)

Internet Explorer - IE for Mac

All Macromedia products

Java

cool, are they much more expensive? if i bought the minimac would i have trouble transfering word etc documents over onto a pc using a usb flash card? i really don't know much about computers  :P

i do have an old pc upstairs but its got milenium on it and i can't work out how it works, how difficult is it to completely wipe my hard drive and start over? how much does a copy of xp cost and do you have to get an original or can you pirate it?

cheers all

Same price if not cheaper, or I can burn you a DVD with a lot of software on :S .

It will be very easy to transfer documents using a USB flash stick.

Not difficult if you know what to do (look for "formatting hard drive" on google and print out the instructions so you know what to do) It costs about £99 I think and its best to get an original IMO.

No you dont need a "normal PC" with XP on it. The file types are universal.