Frame Cracks

Village Idiot

Just fitted my new cranks, and found a small crack where the right hand side chainstay meets the bb. (will try and upload a pic soon).

I'm not too sure what to do about this. I've heard of people drilling a hole to stop the crack from getting any bigger but don't really know how to do this.

Also, could overtightening the bb when fitting it have caused this, as I didn't notice it until after fitting the cranks, or it is just likely to have happened due to use - (my frames a t-raptor and I've had it 18 months).

Hey, if you now a good welder or any of your friends do then get it welded :(.

However, i took my bike with a small crack in to somebody out of the paper :(

and the frame gave way within 2 days.

I think if you heat the frame up to much whilst your welding the frame it weakens the metal causing it to last no where near as long as it would if you just left the crack (i could be wrong).

So try and get some one who has been recomended by some one.

cheers andy

To be honest you cant really be moaning about a frame beign cracked after riding with it for 18 months,that is a heck off along time for a frame to last.Especially when the t-raptors are prone to snapping there anyway u shud be glad yours has lasted you that long,never heard about the drilling a hole thing in the crack??Does it actually work ?

Lee (Y)

never heard about the drilling a hole thing in the crack??Does it actually work ?

Yup.

Cracks form at stress risers. A stress riser is where theres a sharp corner.

The end of a crack (theoretically) has a radius of zero, therefore theres an infinite stress at that point. If you drill a small hole at the end of the crack, that 'zero radius' area is then turned into a 1.5mm radius (if you used a 3mm drill bit, say), and the stress is reduced (Y)

Its also advisable to do this before welding over a crack too.

Theoretically, yes. 'cos cracks are generally formed where pressure's built up on a fault in the frame, and it expands from there to the next fault where pressure builds up, and so on. If you drill it, there's no obvious route for it to choose, so it tends to slow it down.

That's a brutally, brutally simplified version of it, but you get the point?

My housemate had his raptor rewelded, still in one piece now :( wasn't heat treated either, dunno how much longer that will be thou :(

Pete

he's only ridden it once or twice since then though :P

yeah, it was a good weld though.

i've heard that aluminium gains strength after time just sitting about because it reacts with the air or something :-

You drill a small hole at each end of the crack, as it stops there being a focussed pressure point for the crack to extend down, just so you know...

ok, cheers.

just a few questions:

what size hole is best - its just a hairline crack that goes from the top of the chainstay to the underside?

also, is it ok to use just any drill and is there a preferred speed to drill at?

i've heard that aluminium gains strength after time just sitting about because it reacts with the air or something :blink:

no, aluminium becomes more brittle during it's life, and once a frame has been sprayed or lacquered the oxidation reaction between the aluminium and the air is stopped.

just a few questions:

what size hole is best - its just a hairline crack that goes from the top of the chainstay to the underside?

also, is it ok to use just any drill and is there a preferred speed to drill at?

Use something small - 2-3mm diameter is about right.

Any drill will do, drill at approx 30m/minute... so... basically, as fast as you like.