Favourite Gaming Console....

Dai the Socket

Whats your favourite gaming console.....  

91 members have voted

1. 1. Whats your favourite gaming console.....

• Playstation 2
    • Playstation 1
    • Xbox
    • Gamecube
    • N64
    • Super Nintendo
    • PC (Pc's and Macs :p)

Actually, you are wrong. It is a known fact that PS2 is better.

naaaa

in no way does it 'beat' xbox ever.

its only use it for me, to balance my mug on when watching tv or playing xbox.

Even dreamcast is better than PS2, infact, those pocket games you get free with happymeals are better than ps2.

naaaa

in no way does it 'beat' xbox ever.

its only use it for me, to balance my mug on when watching tv or playing xbox.

Even dreamcast is better than PS2, infact, those pocket games you get free with happymeals are better than ps2.

going too far rich, but i do kinda agree the xbox is better!

what i do is.......use ps2 for racing games

and xbox for fps's

LOL, seriously, the 1 button gameplay on the free toys is far batter than any exclusive PS2 game.

That's just a stupid thing to say. It obviously isn't true. This argument is a bit retarded, everyone is allowed their own preference. I had both but I sold the XBOX because I prefered the PS2.

LOL, seriously, the 1 button gameplay on the free toys is far batter than any exclusive PS2 game.

And just wait till FORZA is out on xbox, i don't think you'll need another racing game ever again.  (Y)  (Y)

waiting for gran turismo......only racing game i want.......bloody keeps gettin put back though

Im swaying towards the xbox a fair bit now i've looked into the Xbox Live too. £40 and you're set up. Might get an Xbox off Ebay then get Halo and N4S underground 2 and another game in abit.

Not really sure yet but most probably the Xbox even though I think Microsoft are incompetant (Y)

Online gaming looks really good and the '10 reasons to buy an Xbox' on their website is really well done and I've got to agree with just about every one of them.

Dunno how far i'll get with £150 though.... 2nd hand stuff obv....

Some of my favourite games were on my PC. About 15 years ago I used to play monkey Island I and II (favourite game ever)

I used to love Monkey Island as well. I remember having the old 11 disk version of monkey island 2 and having to swap disks all the time while playing! Crazily I now have all the Monkey Island games running on my PDA, which is quite possible the coolest thing ever.

Re: Linux on the Xbox. I have to say I'm not really sure there's much point to installing Linux on your xbox. You can do pretty much anything you might want to do with it, generally easier and better than with xbox linux, but using xbox media center. This is what I have on mine and coupled with a few other programs my xbox serves to play video, music, classic games (I have a PS1, Megadrive, N64 and several other emulators as well as accompanying games stored on my harddrive) as well as the standard DVD + Gaming functions of the xbox. XBMC is pretty incredible actually, it's based on mplayer, yet it's often able to play video files that mplayer on my desktop can't handle. I've only ever found one or two video files it couldn't handle.

Because of the ease with which the Xbox can be made to do all these things I have to say it easily wins over the PS2. It's a really worthwhile investment, I mean just try building a HTPC with RGB video and digital 5.1 audio out that is also capable of playing up to date games for £100. Even better is that they're sold at a loss to Microsoft, so every time someone buys an Xbox Microsoft lose a little money (especially if you never buy any games and only use it for HTPC type duties).

I think in terms of the native games there's not that much to choose between the xbox and ps2, it really just comes down to personal choice. But for everything else the xbox far outstrips the ps2. Sure you can install Linux on the ps2, but that involves buying a special kit, whereas the xbox can be modded for nothing. Plus the ability to put a bigger hdd in the xbox means you can, errr, backup your games to your hdd - so you don't damage your DVD's :)

Check out xbox-scene for more info, lots of links, tutorials and all sorts of cool xbox related stuff.

the consle that i had the most fun with was the sega dreamcast :P did any one else actually ever have one? They were pioneers in a way as they were the first next gen consal out after PS1 and were amazing compared to it. they were also the first consal to have online gaming (N). But due to lack of intrest it was a short lived consle (N)

my fave consle at the mo is PS2 as i feel for me it is the best one as i wouldnt cout myself as a serious gamer as i only use it in the evenings ect when not at work, college, riding ect and it is good just to pick up and play. I also think the games are top notch too with classics such as metal gear 2 GTA series and grand tourismo (new one is going to be amazing :- ) need for speed underground 2 is good too. anther plus is that the PS2 is small so fits on top of my tv where as an x box would probably flatten it lol. The only downside to PS2 is the reliablity as my origanle one broke after 2 years so im now on my second but these new slim ones are suposed to have better lenses so this should no longer be an issue + they now include all the hardware for online play in them (dont quite know how they got it all in there (N) lol.

so i vote PS2

my brother has an Xbox though and they are also good espesially if you are a more serious gamer

i supose i have the best of both worlds :P

The reason why the Playstation and PS2 are obviously better is the sheer volume of games released on it. If I recall there were about 1500 playstation games compared to maybe 200 on other consoles such as the Dreamcast and the N64. I think the same can be said for the PS2 which has loads of games exclusive to it as opposed to the Xbox which has a lot less.

One thing that I am certain about is that the Playstation was far better than the Dreamcast and the N64. I remember having arguments in French when I was about 15 with idiots who actually believed that the N64 was better than the playstation. The Playstation had the advantage of a catalogue containing hundreds and hundreds of games whereas the N64 had Zelda and Goldeneye. The downfall of the N64 is that all the games seemed to be really childish with cutesy graphics. The downfall of the dreamcast is that it was shit.

Although I'm too old to really care about modern consoles I know that I like the PS2. I have one, and although I only have about 3 games (I need some more) I'm not too bothered about it, I have better stuff to do, but I see the PS2 as the natural progression from the Playstation. Its best feature has to be the volume of games that you can buy.

As for arguments about online gaming - I don't care about that stuff. I've never tried it and I doubt I ever will. The most adventurous I get is playing Internet darts and backgammon on the Internet with my girlfriend.

Another point that people keep using is the size of the CPU or whatever it is. The Playstation was 32bit, and the N64 was 64bit (I don't know about the modern consoles) but what I do know is that all consoles use about 10% of the possibilities, so it doesn't really matter what size it is.

I think there's a point in there somewhere - if you look hard enough you might find it.

Stephen.

As for arguments about online gaming - I don't care about that stuff. I've never tried it and I doubt I ever will. The most adventurous I get is playing Internet darts and backgammon on the Internet with my girlfriend.

Stephen.

this is where xbox kicks ass, and most would probably agree....microsoft spent so much money into desgining it and getting it running, and its much better than net play gaming from ps2

which sounds better too

ps2...."net play"

or

xbox......"xbox live" (N) .....xbox of course

In our house we have a number of ps2's an xbox a dreamcast and pc's on an inhouse network...

At the moment it's the pc's that are getting the gaming use (considering this term, the xbox and dreamcast are still in their boxes and the ps2 haven't been switched on). This thread however seems to be focussing on the rivalry between the xbox and ps2 and having plyed both of these quite extensively I feel I can make a reasonable comment.

There is no doubt that there are games on both platforms which are worth buying each console for, and your preference really depends on what games you like to play. Myself, I prefer FPS and driving games. While the xbox certainly has the pick of the bunch when it comes to FPS, there aren't that many that can't be found on the pc (and those that aren't generally get ported over in the end anyway), plus the fact that I simply cannot stand using a pad to play FPS. Nothing beats a mouse and keyboard (imo) for shear reaction speed and accuracy. So although the xbox is possibly better than the ps2 in this respect, the fact that I own a decently specced pc means I don't really see the point. "But what about Halo 2?" I hear everyone cry. Well I didn't really like the first one, it was far too repetitive for my liking (which is also a gripe I have with Doom3) and from what I've seen the second one is not that much better. The online side of things may be what saves it in the eye of the xbox gamer, but there are better online games available for the pc...

So for FPS I'll stick to my pc. What about driving games? This I feel is where the ps2 suits me better. The entire GT series has kept me occupied the most out of any games I've every played and imo are the best driving games on any platform. PGR2 was ok, but it didn't really hold my attention. The only reason we put PGR2 on now is to play Geometry Wars (the hidden game within PGR2) which is classic gaming at its best.

So for me ps2 is the best and no-one can change that.

amiga commodore 1200  :mellow:  amazing console/system.....pushover/zool/putty  so many aweosme games, dont forget the dizzy range! :ermm:

i had an amiga 500, i still got it actually, it was the dogs at the time, i got zool too, thats a good game. IMo i think the megadrive s one of the best consoles, so mny good games.

One thing that I am certain about is that the Playstation was far better than the Dreamcast and the N64. I remember having arguments in French when I was about 15 with idiots who actually believed that the N64 was better than the playstation. The Playstation had the advantage of a catalogue containing hundreds and hundreds of games whereas the N64 had Zelda and Goldeneye. The downfall of the N64 is that all the games seemed to be really childish with cutesy graphics. The downfall of the dreamcast is that it was shit.

Goldeneye, Zelda, Mario 64.

Better than any playstation game, in fact better than all 1500 of them put together :mellow: