Flat Screen Moniters + Tv Cards...

Dai the Socket

I was wondering weather it would be possible to buy an quite nice 15 - 19" or so TFT flat computer screen, then wack a TV card into it, and use it as a TV and for a Playstation two.

Would save lots of money buying one all in one at the same size.

Was thinking about getting the Screen and maybe card off Ebuyer since they seem very popular amongst the Flat Screen Windows people these days'.

Wouldn't mind your suggestions of if any of you have done it before.

Thanks loads :ermm:

Nick Carter :mellow:

Or if any of you know of any good deals on normal depth TV's but have flat screens :(

Edited by mod661

hey dude, how about this....

buy a flat screen tv for 200£ yes i know a bit steep but i got one in christmas sale at currys for £130 which was amazing, i then used a S-video cable to connect my laptop to the tv (extended desktop etc) , the laptop audio is connected to my stereo for better sound quality.

Then from the tv i have a dvd player running which then has a freeview box running from that, im taking my playstation up to uni so i can just wack that in to the back of the tv antenna.

So in short.. you could have everything running from just buying the flat screen tv instead of having to buy a tv card and screen etc

Edited by Spacemunkee

hey dude, how about this....

buy a flat screen tv for 200£ yes i know a bit steep but i got one in christmas sale at currys for £130 which was amazing, i then used a S-video cable to connect my laptop to the tv (extended desktop etc) , the laptop audio is connected to my stereo for better sound quality.

Then from the tv i have a dvd player running which then has a freeview box running from that, im taking my playstation up to uni so i can just wack that in to the back of the tv antenna.

So in short.. you could have everything running from just buying the flat screen tv instead of having to buy a tv card and screen etc

Yeh that sounds cool. Depends weather I can get a cheap flat screen TV though :mellow:

Might go to my asian friend at Empire Electrical who will beat just about ever price, including on-line ones and ask them about some TV's.

What Tv is yours? What size etc?

Cheers - Anyone got any reccomendations for really good value, not bad size + defo flat screen'd Tv's?

Yeh that sounds cool. Depends weather I can get a cheap flat screen TV though :(

Might go to my asian friend at Empire Electrical who will beat just about ever price, including on-line ones and ask them about some TV's.

What Tv is yours? What size etc?

Cheers - Anyone got any reccomendations for really good value, not bad size + defo flat screen'd Tv's?

Don't buy a TV for use as a monitor! They generally have awful resolutions and refresh rates and will certainly give you a headache if you use them as a monitor for too long.

You were heading the right way with getting a monitor and using that for both instead. Something designed as a monitor is much better suited to watching TV than a TV is for use as a monitor.

I'm not completely clear on what you want, but there are products that you can plug directly into a monitor that function as TV tuners. This has the advantage that you don't need your computer on when you want to watch TV. There's often loads of these going really cheap on eBay.

:ermm: :mellow:

I'm not planning on using a TV as a moniter. I'm planning on using a TV as a TV and a for a playstation.

Or a moniter for a TV and a playstation screen. It's nothing to do with computers. I dont have a PC, i've got macs, and my new G5 iMac's perfectly happy with its built-in 20" screen :-.

I'm wanting a Screen of some sort, flat screen preforably which is either a Computer moniter with a TV card (if it's cheaper that way) or just a normal TV but cheap and flat screen.

Was thinking about a tv like these:

Currys

28" Flat screen, but £343!

'Techwood 28 pureflat widescreen' - £219

Empire Direct (Empire Electrical)

a Jvc 19:9, 28" (i think) widescreen tv

Tv's at Empire...

:(

admittedly the resolution is bad if you dont adjust the monitors res, the laptop i got runs at 1064 * 1050? anyway thats pretty high so of course things wont look scaled properly on the flat screen tv when i drag them from one setup to the other unless i reduce the laptop to 1024*768 and have them both running the same res but if you watch a movie from your pc it looks just as if you were watching it from a tv/dvd player as long as the quality of the film is good ( when you full screen it fills the whole screen all proper etc) but really i was just thinking about all the connections in the back of my flat screen its got everything you need (scart, s video, antenna,audio etc) where as most flat screen monitors i've come across dont

crap sentence

bollox .... ignore the start of that i thought u wanted to use it partially for a monitor too

Edited by Spacemunkee

free view needs a scart cable to work and antenna

the S video only works from pc to tv and on my sony freeview box it only has scart connectors so no s video.

All i have is a s video cable running from pc to the tv monitory, you then just get your remote press source and it changes from scart/antenna to s-video which then shows up your windows desktop. If you want to watch a film i just open up media player ( dependent if you use extended desktop) drag it over to the monitor screen and just double click to open full screen and it looks just like its tv.

i dont know much about the tv cards.. if it has a scart then yea itll work but i dont think they do ? its all confusing me now haha

I was gonna post pretty much the same topic.. does that mean I can get a TV card and put my freeview in through the s-video, and play it on my computer at full screen/decent quality? What software do you use to play the video from the s-video in?

Yeah, i've got a Pinnacle PCTV card that does that :mellow:

Basically the card has a TV aerial port on the back and also a composite port, and an S-Video. You plug in the aerial to the aerial one (duh!) and you can watch TV in a window, or go full screen :ermm: Tis good. As my I have a TV plugged into the TV out I can watch TV on the TV or one of my flat screens woo :(

The composite in lets you plug in a VCR or Playstation if you like too :- Oh and the cards got an audio out that you plug into the line-in on your sound card so you get sounds from the TV input woo :P

You don't even need a TV card, you can just get a capture card without a tuner. Last time I looked, they were £15 on eBuyer, and this handily gets round the license fee thing (If you're only using it for playstation) :mellow:

:ermm:  :unsure:

I'm not planning on using a TV as a moniter. I'm planning on using a TV as a TV and a for a playstation.

Or a moniter for a TV and a playstation screen. It's nothing to do with computers. I dont have a PC, i've got macs, and my new G5 iMac's perfectly happy with its built-in 20" screen :P.

I'm wanting a Screen of some sort, flat screen preforably which is either a Computer moniter with a TV card (if it's cheaper that way) or just a normal TV but cheap and flat screen.

Ah, I see. Sorry, I misunderstood somewhat.

Oh yes, just because something uses a scart plug doesn't mean it's not s-video :) Also, most s-video stuff will down-grade to composite (the standard/bottom level connection type for scart) so to connect an s-video device to something which only has a scart input you just need to get the appropriate cable.

Basically scart is just the name for the plug configuration, scart can carry (from lowest to highest quality) composite, s-video or RGB signals (it may be able to handle others, but those are the most popular). Confusingly s-video is both a connection type and a signal type. Component is the highest quality signal type, but it uses a different connection method than all the others :)

Yeah, i've got a Pinnacle PCTV card that does that :cheers:

Basically the card has a TV aerial port on the back and also a composite port, and an S-Video.  You plug in the aerial to the aerial one (duh!) and you can watch TV in a window, or go full screen :) Tis good.  As my I have a TV plugged into the TV out I can watch TV on the TV or one of my flat screens woo :)

The composite in lets you plug in a VCR or Playstation if you like too :)  Oh and the cards got an audio out that you plug into the line-in on your sound card so you get sounds from the TV input woo :P

Ah cool, cheers :S

Ive got the ariel and everything going into the freeview box already. The sound is already connected up to my amp. Now I just need to use a scart to s-video lead and plug it into a capture/tv card. Thanks for clearing that up, I assume someone would have warned me about the image being crap if it was gonna be :cheers: