The Green Mile

MrMonkey

Nothing to do with the film really, just what the film made me think about.

Nothing to do with Jesus or any other religion either. Something much more real than that.

In the film John Coffee (I know it isn't spelt like that) is a Jesus type figure for those who don't know. He tries to save 2 little girls who have been killed and raped by a person unknown at the start of the film, but he is found holding the 2 girls (It's the big guy who plays Bear in Armageddon) so obviously people think he did it. He gets sent to Death Row with Tom Hanks etc etc. In the process of being on Death Row he helps Tom Hanks by removing his bladder infection, Dale who is another inmate and slightly simple keeps shouting for help but Tom Hanks then stands up and goes to the toilet to find he can piss without the razorblade like pain he had before. The story goes on and their's an evil type guard in their called Percy who kills Dale's mouse (if you think that's bad see what else the fanny hat does) then John brings it back to life. Then there's a bit of dilly dallying and it's time for Dale's execution, Percy has said he will move to a different prison if they let him do the speech type part before the execution and a few other things, they agree just to get rid of him. When it comes to he does not wet the sponge that helps the electricity kill Dale quicker therefore there is about 5 minutes of a man been electrified and he sets on fire, Percy tries to turn away but Tom Hanks makes sure he watches. After this, Hal's wife (Hal being one of Tom Hank's friends) who has a brain tumor is visited by John, Tom Hanks and 2 other guards take him to see her. He performs another miracle, and removes the brain tumor. They take him back to his cell where after a few minutes he grabs Percy and sends the bad stuff (best way to describe it) into him, this causes him to kill another inmate who was the one who originally killed the 2 little girls. He also shows Tom Hanks what the man did to the little girls. Tom Hanks is willing to let John go, but he won't have it. He says people in the world (who he can hear all the time and he can feel their pain in some circumstances) are basically driving him mad, or as he says like little pieces of glass in his head. They then take him to the electric chair, he won't let them put the bag over his head as he is scared of the dark, by this time I was crying. For those who think that makes me gay well that's nice for you but I don't give a flying f**k. They then continue to kill him with most of the guards crying including Brutal who by his name you can tell he isn't the softest of folk.

Anyway that's how the film goes onto my story now.

After the film I was thinking someone who had such a special power was allowed to be killed, yet some of the ignorant f**ks on this planet who truly are a waste of air, no not just the useful parts of air all of it. Such as the dirty chavs who just create more and more of their own kind who just like fighting and drinking and being a general pain drain on society's energy. These people do not realise 8 children will not bring them more happiness nor will it bring anybody else happiness as their children will go out and see that as normal, swearing fighting etc etc. Then you come to think of the Nazi's ok they were extreme with their removing of people from the gene pool. But they were onto some very good ideas. They didn't want Jewish people (this will not get racist) so they killed them, they only wanted fit blue eyed blonde haired people. So these people were the last sent to war, so more people would have the chance of been the same. This needs to be done in this country, certain people should be either A- Steralised in whatever way or B- Killed. Crimes should come with a real punishment none of this fannying about with 1 year long court cases, if the evidence says you're guilty you are. You cannot appeal your sentence unless the circumstances are extremely worthy. I know some of you are going to say how extreme this is. But I see it everyday when kids who have been sent out of their classes and into one of mine because there are less 6th formers so more room for them. And they constantly interupt MY f**king lesson where I want to learn. You also know you can't do anything about it as it will be you who gets punished not them.

This country needs corporal punishment and the death penalty back. Why won't they put a referendum out on it, because they will both go through, and a government does not need that pressure if they kill someone unfairly. But they also don't realise how much good it would do.

I'll put this into a more familiar context, DJ, think how much he deserves to live compared to the people in that car. Think how much it'd be so much better to trade their lives for just his.

Very interesting My Monkey, very interesting.

I wish I'd watched that film now, it sounds really good.

I agree with some of your points; such as bringing back corporal punishment, and the thing about students getting sent out of their classes and put into the 6th formers' class.

However, I'm not so sure about the death sentance. Although it's very rare into today's age, mistakes can happen with the judicial system, and people do (although very rarely) get put away for something they did not actually do.

Take this scenario for example: Person A is framed by person B for murdering person C. Person B makes sure all the evidence points towards person A. The jury conclude that person A is guilty of murder, and is ordered to be executed. This then means the person A has been needlessly killed.

As I said, I know this is very rare...and somebody is probably going to mention DNA analysis. However, DNA is not completely unique, somewhere in the world, there will be somebody with matching DNA to you. What's to stop this person framing you for a crime they commited?

I also think the giving somebody a death sentance is the easy way out. I'd much rather see criminals really suffer inside a prison for the rest of their lives, than suffer pain for a couple of seconds, and never have to face the world again.

You've also got to take into account the person performing the death-provoking punishment; be it electrocution, lethal injection or whatever. What is that going to do to them? Going home at the end of the day, knowing that they have killed somebody. Would that not mess with your head a little bit? I know it would certinally make me feel a bit wierd.

In my eyes, life should mean life...none of this "half sentence if you're a good girl/boy" crap.

However, this does cause problems. Keeping criminals costs money. It costs tax payers money. Money that could be better spent elsewhere.

What is the answer to this? Simple, make prison a prison, not a holiday camp.

Get rid of the tv, get rid of the pool tables, get rid of anything that gives them something pleasurable to do.

Only give the inmates the bare minimum to survive. Bread, water and room to exercise.

This would, no doubt, make prison a lot cheaper, and would make the public less concerned about where there money was actually going when it came to prisons.

Prisoners should be kept under constant watch, so they are not given the chance to take their own life. They should be made to suffer, just as their victims were.

I know what you're saying about the death sentence thing and the fact they should be made suffer. But in a way they get a free place to live (especially at the moment) and they get free food etc. Even if they were in their for full sentences like Life means until they are dead not 25 years, it may be more acceptable. But in some cases they should just be killed. Or for stealing once you loose a hand, do it again you loose a foot no not a hand a foot, then do it again which would be really hard you loose your other foot. If you can manage to do it again you loose your hand. Old style punishment from ye olde days.

I know what you're saying about the death sentence thing and the fact they should be made suffer. But in a way they get a free place to live (especially at the moment) and they get free food etc. Even if they were in their for full sentences like Life means until they are dead not 25 years, it may be more acceptable. But in some cases they should just be killed. Or for stealing once you loose a hand, do it again you loose a foot no not a hand a foot, then do it again which would be really hard you loose your other foot. If you can manage to do it again you loose your hand. Old style punishment from ye olde days.

Bugger. I meant to put that in as well :(

Good to see we both think along the same lines though :D

This needs to be done in this country, certain people should be either A- Steralised in whatever way or B- Killed.

Oooooh... controversial. Very controversial. But... some of the points you made were, although shockingly blunt sometimes, quite true. On a seperate point, it does make you wonder whether people are scared to say what they really think, especially when you discuss things like crime and punishment; and don't even mention the 'I' word... shhhhh if we say immigration and suggest it should be controlled we'll all be dubbed racists. (See news story some time last week - somebody did just that).

I digress, but maybe we do need harsher punishments. Prevention is the best cure, and the thought of LIFE beind bars might just put one or two of these shit's off in the first place. Maybe if life meant life, no piss-balling around, there would be less crime? Found guilty? You're going down, simple. (Although this goes on to raise questions of 100% proof of guilt: I mean, if they have you by the balls and YOU DID IT).

Another film link here, but has anyone seen Catch Me IF You Can? Better still, has anyone read the book? In that, Frank Abagnale describes a stint he did in a French prison, where they barely even gave him them minimum requirements for life. He was fed (occasionally) and had an area in which to 'go' when nature called (i.e. bucket) and that was it. He slept on cobbles and he was washed when they had the hose out. That, he said, was quite obviously why less crimes were committed in France.

I think this is one of those topics where people say "something needs to be done", but it will have to reach breaking point before anyone actually does anything. It's like house prices: they have gone up and up and up, and now people are starting to think "oh shit, new buyers can't afford to buy houses, s'pose we better do something". I think the legal system will get the same way. "Bollocks" says Mr. Justice, "we can hardly move without people sueing each others arses, we better sort this shit out" and then things will change, because they have to.

I don't think I'm anywhere near qualified to be ranting about this :( Anyone here do law?

Oh no you mentioned Immigration. That means I can, basically if you come to this country and don't do your fair share you leave or get killed. Also France isn't war torn they should stop their first. But no they come here with our good benefits and free health service. It annoys me so much. ARGH piss ants.

As I said, I know this is very rare...and somebody is probably going to mention DNA analysis. However, DNA is not completely unique, somewhere in the world, there will be somebody with matching DNA to you.
Where did you get that from? :(

Also France isn't war torn they should stop their first. But no they come here with our good benefits and free health service.

The French health system is many times better than ours. So that's a rubbish argument :( However, I have no idea what the other benefits are like in France compared to the UK.

The problem with the "I" word as you've called it is that the people who are most opposed to the system are the people who are most racist. It's like Michael Howard in some interveiw the other day. He was asked about an immigrant from Glasgow, the US, and the Middle East. Basically he said that the Glaswegian was welcome, as was the American... It wasn't out and out racism, but it was really not very far off. I really hope that dick never gets into power. Luckily, it doesn't look like he ever will.

That's about all I have to say on the matter, for now.

Kill off all the stupid people, and you'll just inbreed the clever ones, giving you back what you started with. Imagine if the Nazi's got their way of everyone being blonde hair blue eyed... it'd be pretty boring and not long before they all went stupid. I personally like my non-blue eyes and non-blonde hair :P

Anyway, im not saying that we dont need harsher punishments, 'cos we do.. but I'd put sorting peoples narrowmindedness out first (not an easy task :(), and I think alot of other problems will be solved. Harder punishments can only sort out so much in the short term... bad things will still happen. A nationwide change of attitude is needed, but that'll never happen.

... good film :D

3 words

" the shawshank redemption "

im really too lazy to type a full answer but watch the above film and see if you still beleive the same things about the prison system , i suppose now the emphasis of prison time is to prevent the crime happening again not punishing you as such , but still watch or read the shawshank redemption

Alot of the points here I agree with i.e eradicating the low life that ruin ours.

These people need getting rid of and I think that evolution needs to carry on its course.

*Puts on Bill Oddie voice*

Assume that there were salamanders living in some grasslands.

Suppose that these salamanders had a hard time walking because their short legs couldn't trample the tall grasses or reach the ground.

Suppose that these salamanders began to slither on their bellies to move from place to place.

Because they didn't use their legs, the leg muscles wasted away from disuse and the legs thus became small.

Then the salamanders mated and passed this acquired trait to their offspring.

In time the salamander's legs were used so rarely that they disappeared.

Thus legless salamanders, i.e snakes, evolved from salamanders by inheriting the acquired characteristic of having no legs.

Now imagine the chav, a group of low life scum that society hated and wanted to make sure that this scum was not on the planet for the next generation.

These chavs waste the tax payers money in such ways as, being in prison, vandalising property and normal people getting so streesed they buy a shotgun to kill them all.

Now imagine if all these chavs were locked up by the rest of the population, females in seperate prisions to males.

This would, eventually, kill off all the unwanted and useless (like the salamanders legs) chavs and thus natuaral selection would have occured.

And one other thing, that movie is one of the best I seen and actually triggered some emotions.

This guard, Percy (evil one), is another type of person that needs eradicating.

He gets a thrill out of torturing others and then gets away with it as his dad is in a high position in the business (I think).

These people are scum and I agree with MrMonkey.

I have very strong views and I think that chavs should not exist at all!

THE END!

Thanks,

Callum

Edited by Has anyone seen my shoe?

Not quite the epitome of tolerance there MrMonkey. People are different, and people will always do things that you don't like, raining things down on them that they don't like is what starts argument, fights, wars and every other kind of human conflict, which is animal behaviour. What with all this talk about civilisation you've got to realise that you've got to make the step of forgiving people somewhere along the line.

No I'm not a Christian, and nor do I condone a lot of the shit people do.

Joe

EDIT: Another thing about all this chav bashing. They probably think similarly to the way you do. A lot of what trials riders do is technically criminal damage, in the eyes of the law you're not all that much better. Though on moral grounds most of us are a bit higher than those part of the chav/yob culture as what we do isn't done with any malicious intent. That goes of course for everyone who doesn't hold these kind of resentful hate-fuelled opinions, which kinda put you on the same level.

Edited by Josephine

that film seemed a bit pointless to me if he can bring the mouse back to life and heal all the people why didnt he just bring the two girls back to life and saved all them problems

They had been dead for too long.

Kill off all the stupid people, and you'll just inbreed the clever ones, giving you back what you started with. Imagine if the Nazi's got their way of everyone being blonde hair blue eyed... it'd be pretty boring and not long before they all went stupid. I personally like my non-blue eyes and non-blonde hair :P

Anyway, im not saying that we dont need harsher punishments, 'cos we do.. but I'd put sorting peoples narrowmindedness out first (not an easy task :(), and I think alot of other problems will be solved. Harder punishments can only sort out so much in the short term... bad things will still happen. A nationwide change of attitude is needed, but that'll never happen.

... good film :D

Why would you inbreed all the clever people? People do not necessarily have to be clever to be worthy of being alive. People can be stupid but be extremely nice. It's the people who don't deserve to live who I am talking about.

Not quite the epitome of tolerance there MrMonkey.  People are different, and people will always do things that you don't like, raining things down on them that they don't like is what starts argument, fights, wars and every other kind of human conflict, which is animal behaviour.  What with all this talk about civilisation you've got to realise that you've got to make the step of forgiving people somewhere along the line.

No I'm not a Christian, and nor do I condone a lot of the shit people do. 

Joe

EDIT: Another thing about all this chav bashing.  They probably think similarly to the way you do.  A lot of what trials riders do is technically criminal damage, in the eyes of the law you're not all that much better.  Though on moral grounds most of us are a bit higher than those part of the chav/yob culture as what we do isn't done with any malicious intent.  That goes of course for everyone who doesn't hold these kind of resentful hate-fuelled opinions, which kinda put you on the same level.

This is not chav bashing, if anyone deserves to be destroyed they are. Such as a goth kills someone they do not deserve to live. I ain't going from what social group you are in. But we know that most of the people who are like this are chavs.

What Michael Howard said about immigration though would of had something to do with how hard they are willing to work. They know Americans and Glaswegians will work, but people from the Middle East may try to live off benefits. Or there's a higher chance of them trying to.

What's the point of the shawshank redemption I've seen it, but what does that mean. Is it even relevant?

Tomm, France is much worse in some ways (I just thought of Health Service and I don't know why) but benefits wise I do have a feeling it is worse. Or why would they pass through France to come to here.

Edited by MrMonkey

Then you come to think of the Nazi's ok they were extreme with their removing of people from the gene pool. But they were onto some very good ideas. They didn't want Jewish people (this will not get racist) so they killed them, they only wanted fit blue eyed blonde haired people. So these people were the last sent to war, so more people would have the chance of been the same. This needs to be done in this country, certain people should be either A- Steralised in whatever way or B- Killed.

Erm maybe its just me but dosnt anyone else see how truly stupid that comment is?

You cannot justify killing people because you dont like the type of person they are. There seems to be a lot of hate directed at Chav's in this thread. The Nazi's did not have a good ideas. Wiping out all the chavs/jews/immigrants in this country is not a cure for any of our problems (other then overcrowding (Y) ).

Oh no you mentioned Immigration. That means I can, basically if you come to this country and don't do your fair share you leave or get killed. Also France isn't war torn they should stop their first. But no they come here with our good benefits and free health service. It annoys me so much. ARGH piss ants.

One of the disadvantages of being a successful country is that you're good reputation will make you more appealing then other countries. We have the 3rd (I think) biggest/best economy in the world, so if you're an immigrant looking for work thats going to look pretty good, plus we have free healthcare as you mentioned. I'm not against immigration in anyway, i'm in favour of it. Its been mentioned by several polititions on various boring news programs that immigration is actually good for the UK economy and makes more then a couple of million a year.

Its easy to scapegoat Immigrants as a certain type of british person seems to like blaming everything on dirty foreiners. Illegal Immigration is a different matter, if people have been denied access here they should be deported immediatly, the system is a mess at the moment, but its uber-hyped up by the media (notice how its always asylum seekers 'flooding' or 'swarming' the country in the headlines and conveiniently no figures mentioned)

Erm... i think i've strayed from the point....

I digress, but maybe we do need harsher punishments. Prevention is the best cure, and the thought of LIFE beind bars might just put one or two of these shit's off in the first place. Maybe if life meant life, no piss-balling around, there would be less crime? Found guilty? You're going down, simple.

Yup, that would certainly work. It would be good to see more policemen actually on the street doing something, its very rare to see a 'bobby on the beat' now. We should get rid of street wardens (Who have the power to ...er...call the police) and employ more actual coppers. It would make a difference for people to see policemen out and about doing something rather then the odd one driving past in a car.

Harsher punishments gets a thumbs up in my view too, halving the sentance for good behavior is rubbish, prisioners should serve the full sentance they are given.

However, I'm not so sure about the death sentance. Although it's very rare into today's age, mistakes can happen with the judicial system, and people do (although very rarely) get put away for something they did not actually do.

I also think the giving somebody a death sentance is the easy way out. I'd much rather see criminals really suffer inside a prison for the rest of their lives, than suffer pain for a couple of seconds, and never have to face the world again.

I agree, death is final and if you kill someone by accident theres no bringing them back. For that reason alone I am against the death penalty. But also the death sentance woud be an easy way out as George say's. I would much rather they suffer for the pain/damage they've caused.

Or for stealing once you loose a hand, do it again you loose a foot no not a hand a foot, then do it again which would be really hard you loose your other foot. If you can manage to do it again you loose your hand. Old style punishment from ye olde days.

Thats too far I think. Again if someone is wrongly convicted and you've just lobbed off they're hands, what are you going to do then, how is that good justice? You're just becomming as bad as the criminals. What about someone who has done something minor, are you going to give them a mild beating? You wont solve crime with violence as the criminals will just resent the justice system even more, at least if you treat them with basic rights they can have no grudge agaist you.

Ive written way too much. MrMonkey, its good to see you speak your mind and some of your points have been controversial but very good (this may be the first thread of yours i've thought is really decent (Y) ). However some of the thing's you've said you should be ashamed of really. I'm not trying to have a go at you but you should be able to see that a comment like "the nazi's had some good idea's" when referring to the extermination of millions of innocent people is totally out of order.

Ive written way too much. MrMonkey, its good to see you speak your mind and some of your points have been controversial but very good (this may be the first thread of yours i've thought is really decent (Y) ). However some of the thing's you've said you should be ashamed of really. I'm not trying to have a go at you but you should be able to see that a comment like "the nazi's had some good idea's" when referring to the extermination of millions of innocent people is totally out of order.

I don't see how you can call these people innocent, they basically breed problems. They as young adults fight and drink, then they claim benefits (These are major generalisations I know) then they drain society more by putting children on this Earth who they do not love or raise correctly. These children think this is normal so they do the same but at the moment in my school you can see how much worse each year is, Year 7 is absolutely horrendous. The Year 11s have had over 250 suspensions already this year. Most are for assault or carrying an illegal weapon and I think it's between about 40 people. Do you see the problems now. I'm not saying killing innocent folk, I'm saying kill the guilty and those who have a very high chance of being in a similar position. The Nazi's were right by removing people that were not worthy out of the gene pool. They just didn't do it the right way. Yes my points are controversial as I've been banned from 2 forums for making this same post and another one it was deleted within a matter of seconds. I'm glad to see this forum is for more mature and open minded to accept the more contreversial points I have raised and I would like to thank the admins and mods for this (Y)

I don't see how you can call these people innocent, they basically breed problems. They as young adults fight and drink, then they claim benefits (These are major generalisations I know) then they drain society more by putting children on this Earth who they do not love or raise correctly. These children think this is normal so they do the same but at the moment in my school you can see how much worse each year is, Year 7 is absolutely horrendous. The Year 11s have had over 250 suspensions already this year. Most are for assault or carrying an illegal weapon and I think it's between about 40 people. Do you see the problems now. I'm not saying killing innocent folk, I'm saying kill the guilty and those who have a very high chance of being in a similar position. The Nazi's were right by removing people that were not worthy out of the gene pool. They just didn't do it the right way. Yes my points are controversial as I've been banned from 2 forums for making this same post and another one it was deleted within a matter of seconds. I'm glad to see this forum is for more mature and open minded to accept the more contreversial points I have raised and I would like to thank the admins and mods for this (Y)

I was referring to the Jews not Chav's.

I'm glad we have free speech on this forum and your posts havn't been deleted but i'm not that supprised other forums have taken action agaisnt you.

"I'm not saying killing innocent folk, I'm saying kill the guilty and those who have a very high chance of being in a similar position"

Contradiction. If you havn't been convicted of something you ARE innocent. Are you saying you want people killed because they have a dodgy backround?

You're absolute hate of 'chavs' is (perhaps mild) rascism. I know i'll probly get moaned at for saying that but you're basically saying you want to kill people of a certain type and backround just because you dont like the way they live they're lives.

I was referring to the Jews not Chav's.

I'm glad we have free speech on this forum and your posts havn't been deleted but i'm not that supprised other forums have taken action agaisnt you.

"I'm not saying killing innocent folk, I'm saying kill the guilty and those who have a very high chance of being in a similar position"

Contradiction. If you havn't been convicted of something you ARE innocent. Are you saying you want people killed because they have a dodgy backround?

You're absolute hate of 'chavs' is (perhaps mild) rascism. I know i'll probly get moaned at for saying that but you're basically saying you want to kill people of a certain type and backround just because you dont like the way they live they're lives.

No, I'm still not getting through. I am not talking about chavs, I mean anyone. It's just that when I look around me at the problem kids, they all are chavvish and so are their parents. If I look at the goths in my school they get picked on daily. Now they are forced to stay in classrooms at dinner. This is the most extreme form of bullying I have ever known about. What do you think has happened to the kids doing it? Nothing, they are all still in school. Those people need to be wiped from existence so nobody has to fear their type. I know I'm always looking over my shoulder and around me to make sure there's no-one around. People are guild before they are convicted of something, I'm guilty of dancing but I don't think any of you could prove it (Y) (Sorry about adding humour to a very serious topic)

What Michael Howard said about immigration though would of had something to do with how hard they are willing to work. They know Americans and Glaswegians will work, but people from the Middle East may try to live off benefits. Or there's a higher chance of them trying to.
You are treading on thin ice there. The thinnest kind. If you're gonna say things like that, you had better have something to back it up with.

What's the point of the shawshank redemption I've seen it, but what does that mean. Is it even relevant?
He was meaning that the guy in the Shawshank Redemption was jailed for 18 (?) years for a crime he didn't commit. All the evidence was against him. Under the Monkeyocracy, he'd be dead/severed...
Tomm, France is much worse in some ways (I just thought of Health Service and I don't know why) but benefits wise I do have a feeling it is worse. Or why would they pass through France to come to here.

Yeah, you're right. But France's public services are second to none. They get taxed high and the money pays for sweet trains (Fast,cheap and run on time etc) and good hospitals etc.

I'm glad to see this forum is for more mature and open minded to accept the more contreversial points I have raised and I would like to thank the admins and mods for this (Y)

You are of course entitled to your opinions, and the other forums aren't really embracing that idea. However, you have to admit, they're pretty controversial (bordering on racism), and you can see why they might not be wanted.

You are treading on thin ice there.  The thinnest kind.  If you're gonna say things like that, you had better have something to back it up with.

He was meaning that the guy in the Shawshank Redemption was jailed for 18 (?) years for a crime he didn't commit.  All the evidence was against him.  Under the Monkeyocracy, he'd be dead/severed...

Yeah, you're right.  But France's public services are second to none.  They get taxed high and the money pays for sweet trains (Fast,cheap  and run on time etc) and good hospitals etc. 

You are of course entitled to your opinions, and the other forums aren't really embracing that idea.  However, you have to admit, they're pretty controversial (bordering on racism), and you can see why they might not be wanted.

Well in the Middle East not many people work in the same ways we do, it's more of the whole community pulls together (Not saying that is bad) also they won't have a very good education so finding a job would be hard. I did not mean in anyway that they do not want to work, but their lack of education would make it very difficult.

The Shawshank Redemption was set before DNA was discovered.

Probably why they come to use then, high taxes that is.

Well in the Middle East not many people work in the same ways we do, it's more of the whole community pulls together (Not saying that is bad) also they won't have a very good education so finding a job would be hard. I did not mean in anyway that they do not want to work, but their lack of education would make it very difficult.

You're still on very thin ice. What with all your chav-bashing earlier, do you really think that intelligence/education is the issue here?

I really don't see how you can say, "I am better than all these scallies, they should be culled." You come across as though you are somehow mighty and superior.

How do you decide who to cull (and who decides)? You gonna establish a superior race who are most worthy of life and they decide? It's just not viable.

There are a lot of nasty poeple in the world but it's not your decision (or anyones) who lives and who dies.