Faster Pc Software?

Corish

I'm wanting my PC faster it takes around 5 seconds to load up a picture, about 8 seconds for a song (Y) I removed a lot of shite the other night but it knackered up my msn so i restored it back to the other day, now I'm having trouble un installing s few things.

So really what are the best *FREE* prgrams out there that will wipe shit off my pc and make it faster at loading pictures and things.

Also while I'm here, When I open a picture thats on my Desktop, it comes up but says "No Preview Available." but if i drag it into "My Documents" it works even using the same program to view it (Windows Picture and Fax viewer or something)

Thanks for any help

corish

Adaware

Spybot S&D

YOU look them up.

Already have mate, I'm just looking for advice instead of filling up my pc with EXTRA SHITE

Already have ad-aware, forgot to mension that.

I'll try Spybot.

thanks.

anymore would be helpful

corish

anymore would be helpful

start>run>msconfig

Uncheck stuff you don't think you need from the startup tab. I only have 6 or so things in there. If you have more, it's slowing the computer down. Don't worry about deleting too many. If you delete stuff you shouldn't have, you can put it back. Spybot is generally a bit better than Adaware.

start>run>msconfig 

Uncheck stuff you don't think you need from the startup tab.  I only have 6 or so things in there.  If you have more, it's slowing the computer down.  Don't worry about deleting too many.  If you delete stuff you shouldn't have, you can put it back.  Spybot is generally a bit better than Adaware.

Done that, but what are the ones I need to keep;

Heres the 'still' ticked ones:

ccApp

SOUNDMAN - Thats my sound card drivers (I think well it was called that when I installed the drivers)

jusched

MsgPlus - Msn plus obviously

winampa

NvCpl

MsgPlus - Plugin for messenger I think.

msnmsgr

You can probably keep all of them. I'm not gonna look them all up individually, but there isn't too many of them. Out of those however, I don't think you really need the Winamp Agent (Winampa). Doesn't really do much...

You can probably keep all of them.  I'm not gonna look them all up individually, but there isn't too many of them.  Out of those however, I don't think you really need the Winamp Agent (Winampa).  Doesn't really do much...

What if I took em all off?

corish

my advice would be to run the windows disc cleanup, then try fragmenting your drives, to get all the data in order. I am still yet to find a decent free alternative to windows defragmenter, i know that the norton systemworks one is better but i lost my copy of that ages ago (Y)

If you have a large hard disk partion it into 2. I have mine setup as the following...

C: 25Gb - Windows + stuff that needs installing

D: 124Gb - Music, Movies, Etc, Etc

That way when i come to the time where windows is getting old and knackered just format C: and all your data is safe on D: no backing up required (Y)

If you have a large hard disk partion it into 2.  I have mine setup as the following...

That way when i come to the time where windows is getting old and knackered just format C: and all your data is safe on D: no backing up required (Y)

Hmm, right. how do I partition?

corish

If you have a large hard disk partion it into 2.  I have mine setup as the following...

That's a good idea i'll probably do that sometime, when i get a larger hard drive.

I use a program called 'Partition magic' for partitions corish, but its not free (unless you umm...download it (Y) ).

You shouldn't advise someone to use MSConfig if they know sod all about computers...... :P

Just wipe your PC and start fresh. But try to KEEP it clean, if you wonder about whether or not to add something onto your PC, then google it, look on bit-tech.net, OR you've always got me on your MSN to ask.

You shouldn't advise someone to use MSConfig if they know sod all about computers...... :P

Just wipe your PC and start fresh. But try to KEEP it clean, if you wonder about whether or not to add something onto your PC, then google it, look on bit-tech.net, OR you've always got me on your MSN to ask.

I do know well enough about PC's to not f**k something up :P I just dont know of any decent programs, anyhows I've got it going faster now.

So, how do I get my pics on the desktop working with "Windows Fax and Picture Viewer" ??

thanks

corish

Done that, but what are the ones I need to keep;

Heres the 'still' ticked ones:

ccApp

SOUNDMAN - Thats my sound card drivers (I think well it was called that when I installed the drivers)

jusched

MsgPlus - Msn plus obviously

winampa

NvCpl

MsgPlus - Plugin for messenger I think.

msnmsgr

ccApp is norton apparently. Uncheck it and just manually run norton every week or however long if your worried about virus', at the moment its checking for viruses every time you open a file and stuff. Infact id uncheck them all except msnmsgr, ONE of the MsnPlus's and NvCpl (apparently something to do with your graphics). If your soundcard doesnt work after that, check it back in :P

ccApp is norton apparently. Uncheck it and just manually run norton every week or however long if your worried about virus', at the moment its checking for viruses every time you open a file and stuff. Infact id uncheck them all except msnmsgr, ONE of the MsnPlus's and NvCpl (apparently something to do with your graphics). If your soundcard doesnt work after that, check it back in (Y)

The NvCpl stops my msn signing in.

I will format whole PC anyway soon, just transfer some files over MSN to my adsd pc which is hooked up to the internet through my pc with en ethernet cable so it will go very very fast, already tested and its SUPER FAST things like 1000Mb in like 3 seconds or so :sick:

corish

I will format whole PC anyway soon, just transfer some files over MSN to my adsd pc which is hooked up to the internet through my pc with en ethernet cable so it will go very very fast, already tested and its SUPER FAST things like 1000Mb in like 3 seconds or so (Y)

It's not that fast.

here

easy cleaner from toni arts: clean up the registry, unneccessary files, history/cookies/recent lists, clean up start-up (IE: remove any programs), unistal programs (and if they are gay and remain in the add/remove list after you've unistalled them- you can delete them from the list.

really good and easy

adam

here

easy cleaner from toni arts: clean up the registry, unneccessary files, history/cookies/recent lists, clean up start-up (IE: remove any programs), unistal programs (and if they are gay and remain in the add/remove list after you've unistalled them- you can delete them from the list.

really good and easy

adam

Thanks mate (Y)

Corish