Braided Hosing?

RicH_87

Right, my problem is that my rear brake is mondo spongey. Basically, i bleed it air free and seal it all up, re-adjust my TPA and it's nice and firm (the way i like it) but only for about 30mins.

My brake gradually gets softer and softer (so i have to keep tightening the TPA to keep up with it) eventually it stops at a certain point and its like that until i re-bleed it, or top the lever up with water.

The fact is, it's deffinatly not leaking, if it was surley it would keep getting more and more spongey untill i had no pinch at all?, I have sealed up all the joints to make sure no water can escape but somehow air still gets in :(

Anyway, could this be because i have braided hosing? My bridge hose is the normal plastic one but i have a long peice of braided hosing from my lever to the primary cyclinder. Ever since i put the briaded hosing on it's been like this. But i only put it on becasue i was having major problems with my old lever and plastic hoisng after a run in with a bus :">

Soooo, does anyone recommend me going back to the normal hosing or sticking with the braided hosing and trying something else?

(My lever is new so it's not that)

I know it's 'not leaking' but check behind the pads for signs of fluid there.

Jon

Thats where mine was leaking and i didn't notice. I would get my bike, to find that i had to tighten the tpa up by about 5 turns. :(

Its the one from supercycles, i can't remember what it's exact name is becasue i got it about 5 months ago.

Surely if fluid was leaking out, it would get consistently worse until no more fluid could be pushed out?

It's kinda like when you have a full glass and you put a bit of ice in and it forces some out but then stops.

I would say about 4cm of tube is full with air whenever i bleed/top it up.

I thought it could be that some of the fluid was getting forced into the platic that surrounds the braiding and therefore was no longer in the pipe line, more like it was in a tube surrounding the pipe.

When i first connected it all, it took about 10 bleeds before i had any pinch at-all becasue the hosing was gradually changin colour, like the water was saturating into the hosing itself???

Perhaps the hosing expands a little everytime i pull the lever? something that the plastic one couldn't do maybe?

My expericence with braided hosing wasnt very good either,i fitted it and everything and to be honest it did look the part and med the bike look cool.

But the performance i thoguht was shit on the magura made it feel really spongey and weak,I went back to standard hosing and ill be stickign with it me thinks.

However the braided hope cable works well!

Lee :(

My brother used to have it and all i can say is :( :) :P . I think it's the unex one you have if it's from supercycles. The main problem with it is that after you kink or bend it, the steel inside it snaps and all the liquid seeps into the outer plastic and you can't fix it. I'd say get the normal magura hosing, kinda stronger and you can actually use it with oil.

Just stay away from unex hoseing.

Cheers,

Josh.

ok, think i get the picture now.

I really think it's becasue the fluid is leaking inside the hosing rather than out of the system.

Being the mini bike pimp that i am i want some coloured hosing. Is there anywhere i can still get red? (because cleanbikes and bikedock are sold out) :)

better go root around for some spare olives and stuff. :(

ok, think i get the picture now.

I really think it's becasue the fluid is leaking inside the hosing rather than out of the system.

Being the mini bike pimp that i am i want some coloured hosing. Is there anywhere i can still get red? (because cleanbikes and bikedock are sold out)  :)

better go root around for some spare olives and stuff.  :(

The Unex stuff isn't great. I've heard of it leaking internally before.

I've very few problems with the Magura stuff and some people swear by Goodridge.

I'm not sure about coloured hosing... The only people I can think of apart from those you mentioned are tartybikes - they may be able to get some for you.

Jon

I had the exact same problem as you, and I found out that the Unex hosing was leaking inside the hosing itself, I just replaced it with standard hosing and it was fine :P

I wouldn't recommend the Unex hosing, it really is crap, makes the brake work very poorly, and leaks (Y)

I cannot comment on any other braided hosing, I just use the standard magura hosing now :P

should you be using water with braided hosing ?  :P

i was using oil before and it was the same.

i though the oil was the probelm to i took the whole thing off and washed the enire thing out, cleaned, re-mounted and bled with water. (one seriosuly blagging job (Y) )

Same deal.... (Y)

a bit off topic but......

if any of you are after braided cable for your disc try the new hope braided cable!

avaialble for all hope models

ive been using this for about a year now with no problems, it makes the brake feel a bit more solid and gives it good looks and is strong as hell

regards ash :lol:

a bit off topic but......

if any of you are after braided cable for your disc try the new hope braided cable!

avaialble for all hope models

ive been using this for about a year now with no problems, it makes the brake feel a bit more solid and gives it good looks and is strong as hell

regards ash :D

ahem is that advertising i see?

ben

i used to run it on my old magura seemed very strong but it dragged on the tire unless i used zip-ties, i wouldnt really recommend it due to the fact i dont think its really needed it makes your bike look 'cool' some would say but i prefer the normal good old black plastic hosing easy to cut, move etc etc.

Reading this my magura would randomly leak but i never figured out why there was no sign of oil the lever would just pull to the bar instatnly and i had to re-bleed. To be honest i think its more hassle than its worth :D