Cad Zoo

andyroo

I wanted to have a bash at some complex cad work, so i thought id model a zoo python. Tell me what you think, (couldnt find a decent material by the way!) and if you want the use of my services, please ask!

gallery_3959_647_19699.jpg

gallery_3959_647_21750.jpg

gallery_3959_647_15004.jpg

Andy

EDIT: Im aware that some dimensions are wrong, but i was workin by eye off some crap pictures! :P

Edited by andyroo

yeah very cool man

the only things i can see that may need attention is the head angle and the fact that the bb and headtube aren't al;l that round but i know nothing about cad so maybe thats as good as it comes...

You can have them any shape you want! They looked round in the pistures. i dont have a real one to look at :P donations anyone :P

Wayne from Aire Valley Cycles (very knowledgable!) said that if they're gonna crack anywhere it'll either be around the rear dropout yokes or the fancy welding around the bb area which is new for the CLS version.

I can send you pics of my python but no frame i'm afraid :P

f**k me, thats bloody good.

Can you not stress test things in CAD too?

Would be interesting to see where they might snap, if they ever do :P

Not in autocad supplied software you cant, but you can probably get a program to test it, but its probably quite expensive!

I was pleased with this bit too:

gallery_3959_647_8307.jpg

as for stress testing, their would be no point as 99% of frames snap on the welds, as this is where the stress risers occurr.

And theyre pretty much impossible to replicate in a CAD package (too much human error involved during manufacture).

Obvious high stress areas could be calculated, i guess. But, then again, they shouldnt be there in the first place!

Also, what loads are there on a frame? So complex!

Bloody good work Mr! That looks really good. Only thing that kinda looked a bit sketch was:

gallery_3959_647_21750.jpg

Where the chainstay/BB join looks a bit butch, but that's about it. The side-on view looks as real as it could do, to be fair :P

Good work with the headtube stamping too. Noticed the sorta weird texturization there, then saw the pic in your other post - good work :P

Mark.

Theoretically you can use CAD to test a frame for strengths and weaknesses (software developed by Skunkworks for their B52 bombers and the Bluebirds used test data to see how the jets systems would function at speeds well in excess of 2000mph, and at altitudes of over 75,000ft), but again this is only theoretical, you'd need proper ballistic data (use of wind tunels, physical simulators, etc) to really test a product before you could predict where and when a frame/component would brake, and then reinforce it. Not entirely sure many trials specific companies have access to those kind of facilities, but using them you could basically make the ultimate frame by knowing exactly where and when it would braek and where it wouldn't and scultpting the frame around those physics. You'd need a budget to rival a Michael Jackson lawsuit, but it could be done...

Pretty cool designs though, wish I had the software to try some of that.

Rich

Testing the tubes for mechanical properties (strength, etc) is quite easy. Replicating welds can also be done, though not with any commercial CAD package. A full blown FEA program such as Patran or Ansys would be more capable.

Good effort though, looks rather good :P

PS. The test option in Solidworks is utter wank, I used it last year at work and was not impressed...

i dont think you could predict where a frame will break as people have different techniques and apply different amounts of pressure on different parts of the frame and at different/the same time(s).

but yeah, i reccon the python is almost perfect  :P

Will

I was kind of trying to explain that; with the currently existing technology used by the defence agencies of most major government's, they can simulate EVERY possibly way any given object can take any given force. In theory it would work, and would actually be quite easy once the basics were applied to the programming.

Pity its considered more important to use such amazing technology to come up with new ways to kill people, but here we are...

Rich

I was kind of trying to explain that; with the currently existing technology used by the defence agencies of most major government's, they can simulate EVERY possibly way any given object can take any given force. In theory it would work, and would actually be quite easy once the basics were applied to the programming.

Pity its considered more important to use such amazing technology to come up with new ways to kill people, but here we are...

Rich

The software is available to most companies who can afford it. Programs such as MSC. Marc and MSC. Dytran are the cutting edge of this market with ability to consider a model within an environment which has a number of variables acting at the same time (such as temperature, forces, even fluid flow), as opposed to older programs such as Nastran, and Cosmos etc which could only deal with one variable at a time (this limits the accuracy of results).