You Guys Can Help With My

cant_ride

hey hey .. just started my design studies module and its so dam cool.

but anyway I'm basically doing a product appraisal for the first 3rd of my portfolio. I chose to do a multitool because it has to be a simple mechanical (ie no electronics) product. I'm doing a Topeak Hexus toolage and I need people here to tell me what experience you've had using this tool and any other multi-tool you may have used... advantages/disadvantages.... ease of use.... versatility .. that kinda thing.

anything you can say will help out as I have to include some kind of public consumer input into the report.

oli :P

my experiences with that type of tool are in general good, they are easy to use and small and light to carry. However the main stumbling block many stall at is that the bolts upon which the tools unfold often come loose, and require additional tools to tighten, which is far from ideal in the middle on no-where.

i have no actual experience with that exact tool, but they are my thoughts.

The experiance that ive had with that multi-tool can sometimes be frustrating as often the removable sides fall off, but other than that it is fine to work with as its not as chunky as some of the multi-tools at there. The chain tool built into does kind of suck say to a stand alone chain tool but in the worst situation can be used. But overall the tool is a handy thing to have on a ride.

Hope thats sorta what you want.

Alex

although i havent got as much to say as everyone else.. since they have practically said everything the only thing i can see wrong with them is everytime ive had a multi tool ive lost the little addon hexaganol bolt thingies (dont know what they are exactly) there is one in the picture youve put up on the chain tool end its on the last piece. i think you use them for rotor bolts im not too sure.. anyway yea theyve always come seperate like just click in to a little slot in the side of the tool. grr im not making sense now sorry

The plus side of such tools is the convenience of having a multitude of useful tools all together where they can't be lost. The downside is that each of the tools is harder to use ergonomically because of them all being attached to the body. Because you tend to hold the body as you use he tool, I find that it's a battle to keep the joint from articulating as you use the tool (annoying as you're putting a bit of torque in to tighten up the bolt/screw at the end), whilst the body does get in the way as you use it.

What's our reward for getting you an A++ in your report? :P

The plus side of such tools is the convenience of having a multitude of useful tools all together where they can't be lost. The downside is that each of the tools is harder to use ergonomically because of them all being attached to the body. Because you tend to hold the body as you use  he tool, I find that it's a battle to keep the joint from articulating as you use the tool (annoying as you're putting a bit of torque in to tighten up the bolt/screw at the end), whilst the body does get in the way as you use it.

What's our reward for getting you an A++ in your report?  :wink2:

yeh thats the kind of stuff im writing about but its all good input... for a reward you shall recieve a halibert and a thankyou.

leave addresses for the haliberts/halibi ... whichever makes more sense to you.

oli

I have that tool, i like it a lot, only niggles...

8mm adapter thingy is on the 5mm allen key, and being the most used the 8mm bit gets in the way sometimes, would be better on the less used 6mm allen key.

My friend had a different version and one of the side bits snapped :wink2: maybe metal or stronger sides should be used.

Tried to true a wheel yesterday and well the nipple key on the tool is very poo :P

Also i find with multi tools there is never a screwdriver that fits mech/v brake adjustment screws nicely and the heads end up getting recked quite quick.

On an old mutil tool i had it had a knife that was useful...

Other than that theyre really useful!!

Seb

I've got one of thoooooose. They're pretty good, except for the following niggles.

1. The 8mm adapter thing is made of cheese

2. The tyre-lever/ chain tool thingies on the side are sooooo easy to lose

3. The chain tool isn't big enough for a KMC Kool

Whine over, otherwise it's a great way to have bike specific allen keys on you, as opposed to the halfords type ones that have a load you never use and no 8mm.

Joe