Hope Mono Trial

monkeyseemonkeydo

I recently put a Hope Mono Trial on the front of my Python. It works fine, plenty of power etc but if you hold the brake on loosely and rock the bike backwards and forwards the pads move in the caliper by about 1-2mm, as the pad retaining pin is smaller than the hole in the pad itself. This results in a nice 'BANG' as the pad reaches its limit. Is this a common thing with the Trial brake? I've been a Hayes person until now and this doesn't exactly reassure me of the quality of Hope gear.

Dave

think about it the pads need clearance otherwise they woudnt move out if they were a perfect fit

Yep, thats true, however Dave seemed to describe two seperate issues...

Edit: Reading again, seems like he's on about 'pad wobble' only... can't say ive noticed it while riding (can get the pads to 'knock' a little if i try though, while not riding the bike).

Top brake otherwise! :(

The problems the clearance between the pad retaining pin and the hole in the pads through which it passes. This allows the pads to rock between the limits and makes a quite harsh 'crack' when there's a bit of force going through it.

I'm probably just too much of a perfectionist but I've run a Marta, hayes, a louise 2k and now a louise 04 FR and a mono trial and the Hope is the only one to do this.

Dave

The problems the clearance between the pad retaining pin and the hole in the pads through which it passes. This allows the pads to rock between the limits and makes a quite harsh 'crack' when there's a bit of force going through it.

I see what you mean... however the click comes from the pads themselves? (which have clearance inside the caliper). The pin is a loose fit through the holes in the pads - its only there to stop the pads falling out.

Im sure Hope would try and sort something for you if you get in touch :(

yeah mine clicks a bit when track standing with front brake slightly on. i wouldnt worry as ash says. also my mates does the same thing still both brakes work brilliantly.

its prob something to do with the fact the pads work with magnets not springs like the other hope brakes.

i tend to ignore rattles cracks and squeeks on my bike though, life is more carefree that way :("

i have the same problem, well its not really a problem im my opinion, but when you lock the brake there is still movment in the pads when you rock the bike back and forward with the brake on, and as a result you get a knocking sound, presumably fromthe pads moving back an forth :( hope that makes sense