Does Any Body Use Ringle Hubs For Trials?

Swindon rider

I have them on my DH bike and they are beasty as fook, They have beefy as fook 3 pawl ratchet (beefier than a hope) but they have more engaments ( so there are more teeth on the ratchet, making them smaller/finer). It is 10X louder than a Hope, suggesting they have a more sold engament.

I was just concered about the finer ratchet that is all.

Please discuss

Stu

When i worked at Leisure Lakes i had a good look at them (N) they seemd prettyood, and felt like theyd be good for trials use. In the hand the engagements felt so much more definate and stronger than a hope in hand.

They also seemd to be pretty beefy.. suggesting wieght may be an issue?

sharn

Hmm, I wouldnt say it works like that.

The teeth skip over each other more the faster you go - just another clever thing about the design.

Id be more 'worried' about bearing drag, since you'll need to put about 1000 miles on a pair of hubs to fully bed them in (Y)

I assume the hubs arent for a road bike... so... why is rolling resistance a problem? The extra weight of a stealth would hold you back more...

Unless he have his bearings awfully tight ( i don't know if kings can go too tight?) or lower tyre pressure...

It's my hub he s talking about. We have got almost the same bike, except i run a king, and he runs a hope... I'm almost certain it is my hub, because i could roll alot faster/ further with my old hope xc.

Possible it is the bearings? i have never done anything to my hub since i got it from waynio. How would i check the bearings? or is there anything else i could try??

P.S, sorry for kinda stealing the thread (Y)

It's my hub he s talking about. We have got almost the same bike, except i run a king, and he runs a hope... I'm almost certain it is my hub, because i could roll alot faster/ further with my old hope xc.

Possible it is the bearings? i have never done anything to my hub since i got it from waynio. How would i check the bearings? or is there anything else i could try??

P.S, sorry for kinda stealing the thread (Y)

To check bearing tightness, you can pick the bike up by the top tube, and spin the wheel :lol: or take the wheel off and check.

p.s you never used the Hope on the leeson did you! :D

Edit: and the bearings on my king have much less resistance than the bearings on my hope did (Y)

Edited by Wayne-king

To check bearing tightness, you can pick the bike up by the top tube, and spin the wheel :lol: or take the wheel off and check.

p.s you never used the Hope on the leeson did you! (Y)

Edit: and the bearings on my king have much less resistance than the bearings on my hope did :D

Next time we ride, we will have to compare our wheels for spinning resistance.

Your right, i didnt ever use my hope on my leeson, but i did use my king on rich's leeson, and it did slow down alot quicker than with his hope (Y)

Next time we ride, we will have to compare our wheels for spinning resistance.

it did slow down alot quicker than with his hope (Y)

yeah, but have you felt the bearings in his hope? they are propper worn out!

anyway, back to the original topic :D i'd say go for the ringle :D same number of teeth as a bulb (i think) and the price looks pretty good. Theres a couple of reviews here

Unfortunetly, the rear hub won't hold up for me. I'm 6'3" at 225lbs. The first time, the guys at Supergo told me the pin that holds the ring gear in place sheared. It took six weeks to get the wheel back. The after a couple months, it broke again. After another long wait, Sun Ringle sent me a new wheel. About 5-10 rides later it broke.

On an XC bike, ouch.

I remember a guy at a local shop, Guildford Cycles, used to run a rear Ringle hub.  It was much like a mono but a bit quicker, and he had no problems with it.  Loud, smooth, quick, light, strong (Y)

i have ben running one now for a few months and its awesome. they look good and sound even better. the engagements are really responsive and it hasnt skipped yet so all is good.