New Rims

CurtisRider

ive finally got some cash to build some new wheels for my bike as ive sold both of my old ones (im running some spares now)

ive run mavics and onza rims up until now and found them all very good functionally (no major buckles, no dents, not to hefty) but i fancy a change as they dont look as nice as id like :">

i recently got an atomlab trailpimp rim on a hope bulb for a jump bike but i liked the look of it and whacked it on my trials bike

it didnt appear to be much heavier than my reggie on a hope xc which got me thinking it would be nice to run one at the rear too

i ride mainly streety stuff and natural whenever i can. im not the smoothest rider in the world but i rarely dent rims (dont think i ever dented my ronnie) and i dont do huge stuff (i hate doin drops) so strength may not be as much as an issue for me as it is others

so my questions are:

can they hold grinds well? do they dent easily? what are they like for flatspots? is the fact they are pinned but not welded a real problem? how much do they weigh (in comparison to a mavic d521?), would drilling out the front one be ok?

i know matt berridge runs/ran them but i wasnt sure if he was sponsered by them or not

the other rim i liked the looks of was the tioga (black and white suits my base as the frame is black with white decals) but i dont know where on earth to get them-same questions apply to them as the atomlabs

cheers guys (Y)

i think tart built ben rowlands an atomlab rim a while back and lets just say it didnt last and ben got pissed off with it so went back to a 521 after a week or two...

i dont think tart was to impressed with the way it built up either...might be wrong.

It wasnt the greatest rim ever, thats for sure. Didnt help that Mark Anthony sent the wrong rim though... (which meant incorrect spoke lengths and poor tension - Ben just wanted to ride it though).

wasnt / isnt boon sponsored by atomlab?

Yeah, but he still ran 521s, lol.

tart to go off topic , how tight do spokes need to be?

should you be able to squezze them and have them flex / move ?

Its not really as simple as that unfortunately, theres a few other things you need to take into account.

But, to half-answer your question, they need to flex, as its the flex that keeps your wheels straight.

But, to half-answer your question, they need to flex, as its the flex that keeps your wheels straight.

I've heard that a lot of wheel builders like to get their spokes to ring out a D or G note (musical note (Y))

Park also sell spoken tensioner checker for ridiculous amounts...

Ah well, back to the question in hand i suppose :D

ok so this atomlab rim is basically crap? :D

i have a spare silver d521 i could spray it up-im not too fussed about stickers (Y) just it wont look as cool-will normal car spray paint be ok?? or will it need an undercoat?

those tioga rims-anyone got any useful info on them? cos the crc site wasnt very helpful :D

im so stuck cos i really like those atomlabs (Y) but i know mavics are the best (just look crap :P )

cheers so far