The Old Mod Or Stock Question

nbr-chris

Sorry i know mod v stock has been done to death but i want the opinions of people that own these bikes.

Basically about 75% of my riding is natural and i have 2 great spots a few minutes away so getting places isn't that much of an issue.

I race dh so obviously am used to a 26 and i've been riding a stock for about 8 months and its time to start saving.

I'm thinking Team but i'm still not 100%, mainly because i use 1st 2nd and 3rd for riding so thats 22-12 -13 and 14

Which would you have- team or control?

Cheers and sorry again for yet another mod or stock :(

Edited by nbr-chris

Personally I prefer mod and am thinking of getting a Team as alot of people have told me they're a brilliant ride (although I still want to ride one first). If you do go for 26" though I'd get the Control, the Pure rides well but I just really like the look of the Control and can't imagine it riding any worse.

Well I went from a Monty to the Echo so it was a big change for me but not as much as going to a Zoo would have been.

It took a few weeks to get used to the extra length of the bike but once I hd the 362mm chainstays really make the bike so more flickable than the Monty. I can still ride with my very streety style on a long bike.

I dont feel as cramped on the bike yet I dont feel too stretched soething that happened on the monty despite it being so short. I can only assume it has something to do with the frame geometry and that I cahnged from Brisa bar and stem to Echo bar and stem.

Im using a 18:13 gear ratio and I used to use 20:13 its a big change but I got used to it and its slowed me down and improved my techique as I can use the brute power and speed appraoch anymore.

Im loving the bike but thats a bit biased.

It weighs in at about 19.5 lbs and the overall weight distribution is quite good and it feels alot leighter. Its leighter than my brothers old Echo Team and his is the short version.

I'm very tempted by the Team, just the ss ratio thats putting me off really. I'l have a look at what the equvilant to 22-13 is and it will be around the gear i usually use Maybe knock it down to 20-13 or 18-13. I might just stock up on sprokets and have a play round with different ratios, see what suits me best

Edited by nbr-chris

Cheers for the comments guys, i reckon a 16-12 would be about right for me so the ratio is no longer a problem.

My build comes to 1010 with everything apart from brakes, freewheel and a headlock coming from Tartybikes.

Spec will be,

echo team, long

team forks

hope headset

team stem

echo bars

echo cranks

echo rims on echo hubs

maggies

maxxis creepy crawleys

etc etc.

Its going to be about 90% echo stuff then :( but its cheap (relatively) and pretty good so can't complain.

Only problem is i've just put a deposit down on a new dh bike so its going to be about 4 months before i have the cash :P busted

hey

I owned both before :"> but I must say the team is like 1000% more fun, theres no mech or anything to to worry about, also the team is very nice to throw about lol, but the control is allrigh ( not my cup of tea) aabit to long, but its nice on the back wheel, erm... but its not very nice to do tech moves on it etc... like *gap to front to back* on a poste etc.. but this is my opinion, other might think im wrong but meh.

hope this helps.

erm... if you want to see this echo team is action download my lastest vid(Y)

click here Mod & stock.

Best regards Dan

One last thing to anyone thats bought one- is the bashplate included in the price? Theres no mention of it as an extra part so is it just classed as the frame?

hope this helps.

erm... if you want to see this echo team is action download my lastest vid(Y)

click here Mod & stock.

Best regards Dan

Good plug there mate :(

Is it the Mod Stock video with HIM on the soundtrack or a different one? Don't want to download the same one twice

:edit: no worries, checked the file names, downloading it now

Cheers

Edited by nbr-chris

Dont you think that they are rather expensive bikes to be chosing between? I mean you could go for the team and then realise yo prefer stock, what a waist that would be and how much of an idiot would you look? To be honest mate i would think of you as being the spoilt rich kid! Hate people like that! So dont make the wrong decision!

Why dont you start with a cheap secondhand bike and then decide on what you want then?

Personally i would go for the mod you cannot go wrong! i love mine :(

Tom

I find stock soooooooo much more satisfying than mod. Mods feel too easy and almost.....well, cheating.

You might not be able to go as big on a stock (debatable) but the feeling you get riding them is far batter than mod, its difficult to explain but thats how I feel

Stocks dont look as silly too :(

Dont you think that they are rather expensive bikes to be chosing between? I mean you could go for the team and then realise yo prefer stock, what a waist that would be and how much of an idiot would you look? To be honest mate i would think of you as being the spoilt rich kid! Hate people like that! So dont make the wrong decision!

Why dont you start with a cheap secondhand bike and then decide on what you want then?

Personally i would go for the mod you cannot go wrong! i love mine  :S

Tom

Maybe before you jump to conclusions you should read the post properly.

I've been riding a cheap stock (t-raptor) for ages and it needs replacing since its cracked, the cranks are quite bent etc so theres not much that i could use to rebuild and most of what i would have would be cheap onza tat basically.

As it happens i'm not a kid and work 5 days a week to pay for my bikes and racing .

Fair play you didn't know that but thats a good enough reason to not start slagging people off surely :(

Funnily enough i'm not a fan of spoilt rich kids either and theres plenty of them racing geting driven to races by there parents on the latest bikes that can't ride for sh*t.

Just because i'm asking for peoples opinions doesn't mean you have to talk to me like shit

I find stock soooooooo much more satisfying than mod. Mods feel too easy and almost.....well, cheating.

I've always found it the other way for natural; when riding stocks you can roll sooooooo much more than on mods, so it just feels a lot easier and floatier to ride? I haven't really had much of a chance to ride street on stocks 'cos I just hate the feel of them. I always seem to catch the back tyre right in the nuts on stock just 'cos I don't really have to worry about that on my mod, unless something's gone tits up :S

But yeah, stocks aren't necessarily harder to ride than mod; for a lot of natural stuff the bigger wheels roll far more easily, and for front touching you've got a greater margin for error again 'cos of the larger wheels. Seeing as you can also get super light, nice riding stocks now too there's less in the way of trouble from having to run generic MTB parts on it instead of trials specific, which has basically always been available on mod.

In a comparison of them both, I'd go mod, just 'cos they're more fun to throw about. Stocks always feel like you have to plan what you're going to do more just 'cos they aren't as flickable, but you can just basically dick around on mods :(

Mark.

Personally i would go for the mod you cannot go wrong! i love mine  :(

Tom

Sound's like someone's jealous :P" Or not reading post's right.

MGet the Team mate :D

I have always rode Stock until, very recently... I have a Koxx levelboss with a decent spec so I would class it as a 'good bike'. I have just built up an Onza t-pro, I have been out on the mod since a built it and when i try to ride stock it just feels slugish (even though thats what i've been used to).

I find (as Ali C says) mod very easy in comparasson to stock. Statics to back wheel, statics to front wheel and backwheeling higher without the need of front touch...

I also found it to be a lot more controlable on rocks but as Onzaboymark said stock to do roll over rocks better (found out the hard way, wheel into small gap lol)

I think if you want to improve slightly quicker, go for the mod. They are super fun to ride, can go as big as a stock if you need and generally A LOT less hassle to flick around.

Maybe before you jump to conclusions you should read the post properly.

I've been riding a cheap stock (t-raptor) for ages and it needs replacing since its cracked, the cranks are quite bent etc so theres not much that i could use to rebuild and most of what i would have would be cheap onza tat basically.

As it happens i'm not a kid and work 5 days a week to pay for my bikes and racing .

Fair play you didn't know that but thats a good enough reason to not start slagging people off surely (Y)

Funnily enough i'm not a fan of spoilt rich kids either and theres plenty of them racing geting driven to races by there parents on the latest bikes that can't ride for sh*t.

Just because i'm asking for peoples opinions doesn't mean you have to talk to me like shit

In what way was i talking to you like shit mate?

Think about what your saying before you get your knickers in a twist! Fair enuff you were asking for coments and feedback as soon as you get some you go off on one! i was mearly staiting what i felt would happen if you were to chose a bike and then not like it!

Sorry that you feal that i was taking the piss and no your clearly not a spoilt rich kid!

I was not specifically slagging you off mate!

Maybe you should read my post properly before you go off on one bout how hard life is like an utter tit!

Other than that

Cheers (Y) (Y) :)