Headset Cups Coming Loose?

rich4130

I just fooked up a bunnyhop gap, and kinda landed hard, and my bottom headset cup has moved in the headtube!? It's like 1mm clear of the frame at the rear, and the headsets gone really tight.

Has anybody else done this, and the frame was ok? I have a feeling its flared it.

Ashton Edd Tongue frame, Pig Pr (sealed) Headset.

Yep, that's most definately flared.

I doubt you'll get a warranty replacement on it, but call them and see what they say.

Failing that, whip out the bottom cup and see if the headsets ok. Check that's still fairly round and if it's still useable. Being a Pig and them generally being hard as a jonah you should be ok.

Depending how flared the headtube is (you should be able to tell by how easily it comes out) you have two options to repair it:

1) Put it in the frame with lots of bearing fit and glue it in straight. I've done this before and it worked really well, still managed to get the headset out once I'd glued it in too. Just make sure there's no grease on any of the surfaces and it should hold in fairly well.

2) If it really is pissed, and a mega loose fit, cut up bits of a coke can and make them so they fit round the lip on the cup. Glue it on and sand round the top part so it slides in easier.

It will be hard but just smack it in with a hammer, because of the coke can being the softest of the 3 materials it will deform enough to give it a nice tight fit in the frame and you should be fine for a good while.

Hope you manage to sort it out dude, tis the only gay thing about alloy frames being so soft. I'd also check the welds around the headtube for damage and check the whole things not about to snap off...

Cheers

James

Yep, that's most definately flared.

I doubt you'll get a warranty replacement on it, but call them and see what they say.

Failing that, whip out the bottom cup and see if the headsets ok. Check that's still fairly round and if it's still useable. Being a Pig and them generally being hard as a jonah you should be ok.

Depending how flared the headtube is (you should be able to tell by how easily it comes out) you have two options to repair it:

1) Put it in the frame with lots of bearing fit and glue it in straight. I've done this before and it worked really well, still managed to get the headset out once I'd glued it in too. Just make sure there's no grease on any of the surfaces and it should hold in fairly well.

2) If it really is pissed, and a mega loose fit, cut up bits of a coke can and make them so they fit round the lip on the cup. Glue it on and sand round the top part so it slides in easier.

It will be hard but just smack it in with a hammer, because of the coke can being the softest of the 3 materials it will deform enough to give it a nice tight fit in the frame and you should be fine for a good while.

Hope you manage to sort it out dude, tis the only gay thing about alloy frames being so soft. I'd also check the welds around the headtube for damage and check the whole things not about to snap off...

Cheers

James

Hmm yea, cheered me up :)"

You speak the truth though, I wanna check, I just realised something..... (Y)

Can give me yours if you like? :)

Hahah, I haven't even rode mine yet. I'm so slow at getting it built.

Don't worry dude it will be alright, if it's flared it's flared, no use crying over spilt milk. At the end of the day it's repairable and if done well should last plenty a long time. At least the headtube didn't tear off....

James

Sounds like a good excuse to get your arse in gear with this custom frame, Rich  (Y)"  :)

Heheh, my Dad said the same!

I just had a look at it, its moved away at the front as well, which Is better I suppose, means its just abit loose, not ovalised, hopefully!

I'm 99% sure its ok, the headset had just come 'loose' the cup wasn't in, it was square, but just not pushed home anymore, I have a feeling when I was preloading the headset the funny topcap I have may have been bottoming out on the steerer from when I changed stem, I wacked another spacer on and done the fooker up tight (Y).

cheers for all the, help.

I did that with my justice :"> Did a little gap and messed up landing on my front wheel weird, the bottom cup naerly came all the way out (Y)" Bent my fatties in the process aswell.

I`m in the backgroung of one of the cultiv8ed vids smacking my headset off a wall trying to put it back in hehehe :)

fsa pig headsets are a bit larger diameter than other headsets (for some reason).

well, the ones we have are - the cheapie ones.

They're pretty heavy - cnc'd steel cups - but they are tough as you like.

The larger diameter makes all the difference in frames where the headset is a bit loose, or the headtube flared.

Might be worth a go.