Brake

FAT~DAN

evening,

i have a lot of trouble with my brakes no matter how sharp the grind how mew and well set up the brake is and no matter what pads (koxx,heatsink,rimjam,magura) none of them squeak and sound like a reasuring locking brake they jus make like a swoooshing noise and doesnt sound re assuring at all

i am geting a new pair of heatsinks soon and regrinding /rebleeding my wheel/brake so nothing will be wrong but has anyone got any avdise when setin the brake up or anyhhin

Dan thanks in advance

Hi Dan!

You say that independent of pads used you can't get a squeak out of them? I think you'll have to take a photo or two of your brake set-up to show how you've got everything postioned. That said, that won't capture how they behave as you pull them to contact the rim, and that's where you have to examine them carefully.

I only wish that my brakes would be quieter since it seems to annoy my neighbours on the few occasions that I pop out in the road!

It can be hard to see whether your brakes are set up completely flat with the rim. I thought mine were when I first bought Koxx bloxx, but they didn't squeak. After a little riding I took them off and could see that they hadn't been in contact with the rim across the whole area. Spent some time setting the brake up, inspecting it from various angles as it hit the rim (making sure one end didn'y contact first), and low and behold it squeaked with very little provocation after that.

If you can get it mastered, you'll be treated to a very low and loud grunt of those blue pads vibrating (Y)

Steve

heres a bit of magura science for you:

Noise does not = power

just because back in the day everyone used tar / still does and they get a nice loud squeak it seems that everyone beleive that that is the sound you want when your brake is set up correctly/working great. Well it isnt. Set up your pads correctly like.. try everything the old 2p trick, taking your tyre off your rim so you can align the pads easier. Just anything, the swooshing noise usually happens when your pads are angled ( like mine were doing last night )

Edited by Spacemunkee

thanks for the replys guys when i get my new pads through from steve i will take as much time as i can over seting the brake up as i set one side of my brake up perfect and this side doesnt squeak and hasnt worn much but the other side was a bit off and ddoesnt squeak either so il spend some time seting them up perfectly and let you no how i get on

Dan

heres a bit of magura  science for you:

Noise does not = power

just because back in the day everyone used tar / still does and they get a nice loud squeak it seems that everyone beleive that that is the sound you want when your brake is set up correctly/working great. Well it isnt. Set up your pads correctly like.. try everything the old 2p trick, taking your tyre off your rim so you can align the pads easier. Just anything, the swooshing noise usually happens when your pads are angled ( like mine were doing last night )

Thats not what experiance tells me. A squeaking brake is actually a working one. When it swooshes it slips. If you take your swooshey pads off theyre probably worn gay, 2p technique and all, when you tighten everything down the sometimes move..

Thats not what experiance tells me.

My brake used to be totally silent, but was the most powerful brake ive ever used.

Theres so many other factors. I think a 12mm thick booster, massive seatstays and 'proper' backings (not the short ones) helped dampen the noise...

Thats not what experiance tells me. A squeaking brake is actually a working one. When it swooshes it slips. If you take your swooshey pads off theyre probably worn gay, 2p technique and all, when you tighten everything down the sometimes move..

hmm not exactly true either,

my brake works pretty damn well, makes the swooshing sound and doesnt slip, might be something to do with the frame, booster, rim and tyre combination too.

Spacemunkee, heres a bit of brake science for you. ;)

When a pad hits the rim it will cause friction, if you set the pads up at an angle to the rim, then when the forst part of the pad contacts it will start slowing you down, the harder you pull the more contact area and therefore greater friction.

Now, with a trials brake we don't really need to angle our pads to the rim for modulation, in fact a brake feels and works better for trials when the pads are flush with the rim. If the pads are flush with the rim all the pad material will make contact (almost) immediately and the pads will bite, the bite makes the pads try to move and therefore produce a vibration giving the squeak we all know and love.

That is why trials brakes squeak, and a well set up pair of pads will almost always squeak, this is why a squeaking brake is a working brake.

Also Fat-Dan, take the pads of and sand them lightly on a flat surface, give the rim a grind, spray muc off on it, set up your brake using the 2p trick and then ride around alternately dragging and grabbing the brake. See if that helps, it can take a few goes (Y) This will hopefully make the pads wear flat to the rim. improving your braking.

Spacemunkee, heres a bit of brake science for you. ;)

When a pad hits the rim it will cause friction, if you set the pads up at an angle to the rim, then when the forst part of the pad contacts it will start slowing you down, the harder you pull the more contact area and therefore greater friction.

Now, with a trials brake we don't really need to angle our pads to the rim for modulation, in fact a brake feels and works better for trials when the pads are flush with the rim. If the pads are flush with the rim all the pad material will make contact (almost) immediately and the pads will bite, the bite makes the pads try to move and therefore produce a vibration giving the squeak we all know and love.

That is why trials brakes squeak, and a well set up pair of pads will almost always squeak, this is why a squeaking brake is a working brake.

All well and good. But what if theres a vibration dampener? That goes straight out of the window.

Pads can still vibrate if set up at silly angles too.

My brake was silent, and awesome. Can you explain that to me? (Y)

Yeh, you had a "vibration damper". (Y)

What I said will almost always hold true, my brake actually seems to rotate between silly noise and quiet swoosh while still working really well. But a ceramic rim is normally a bit odd.

Was your silent brake on a ceramic rim by any chance? Also say you have a t-mag frame (the old one) the sound will get amped in the downtube as you say it's not JUST the brake but the brake is the biggest factor.

My set-up with a ground D521 in a Base frame and a simple magura booster over the top plus the same white Heatsink pads is a very noisy begger (Y)

Hmmmmm, my Brake ( heatsink white's on an echo rim) only swoosh's and is very rarely loud, and it is mintalicious  ;)

Meh. dunno ;)

I have the Echo control booster, an Echo rim and huge ass tyre, that will all together most probably dampen the noise a bit....

I love it, Silence and sheer braking excellence (Y)

Edited by Fishwog

hmm not exactly true either,

my brake works pretty damn well, makes the swooshing sound and doesnt slip, might be something to do with the frame, booster, rim and tyre combination too.

I said it was from my experiance. Not meaning its gospal.

Just with any set up of mine:

Base Frame, Salsa Booster & Magura Booster, heatsinks and a ground 521 and a minion st 2.5 tyre. When it swooshed it was pants. When it squeeked it was brilliant.

Levelboss with same tyre, pads and with a try all booster is the same. Sqeek and it works none and it doesnt.

My mod is the same too, T-pro frame, rb booster (not actually gonna qualify as a sound damper is it :unsure: ) koxx bloxx on an echo cnc rim ground. Some luna cheapy tyre. When the wheel moves ever no slightly out (hardly noticable) the brake swooshes causing it to be relativly wank.

Its just from personal experiance, Most people I ride with find that too.