Is My Hope Dead?

Simon

Basically, over the past few weeks, my hub hasn't been skipping, but just not enganging. I thought nothing of it until it kept happening.

So lee had a look, and it was sorted, until it started skipping really bad.

Then, last week on the worthing ride, it just went balls up.

I will try to explain it.

I would be riding along, and the hub/cassette which ever it may be, just locks up for a second or to. Which ofcourse f**ks everything up, as the chain gets thrown down.

I took it apart today, and i noticed a few things.

The teeth, obviously from where that much force is put on it, have been squashed sort of thing. You know when you hammer something, in the same place, the metal has no where to go but squash out, so every tooth has a that bit of metal at the top. Not sure if this could be causing it?

Other then that, the hub looks like any other trials used hub.

So, any ideas? Just incase i send it to hope just so they can tell me it isn't the hub.

Also, a quick question. Can i send hope the whole wheel, obviously without tyre/tube if it comes to sending it to them. Or do i have to strip the wheel to just the hub.

No i haven't rung them yet, simply because im not 100% sure its the hub, or even if its worth sending it.

The flattened bits on top of the ratchet ring will be from the axle flexing and the freehub hitting them (will be scores on the freehub where it enters the hub body.

This has to be sent to hope to fix, best to call them and ask them what you need to include.

You will have to send the full wheel to hope.

01282 851200

The flattened bits on top of the ratchet ring will be from the axle flexing and the freehub hitting them (will be scores on the freehub where it enters the hub body.

This has to be sent to hope to fix, best to call them and ask them what you need to include.

You will have to send the full wheel to hope.

01282 851200

Ratchet ring? Freehub? :">

I have the scores on the bit you can remove, where the pawls go into. I think thats the freehub?

Im more concerned on the teeth. Diagram...

1337diagram0mm.jpg

Basically, red are the teeth, from top and side. Black arrow going to right is direction pawls travel in, obviously, then the black arrow going up is where the metal has gone because of the force, leaving the metal at the top, like a little mountain (green)

So er, yeah :unsure:

hopes number 01282  851200

address : hope mill , skipton road barnoldswick, lancashire, england bb18 6en

Cheers :unsure:

Could of found it in search anyway, but thanks (Y)

Right, armed with a file now, but is it worth me trying to file the metal excess off? Or should i just send it off?

Just send it off to Hope they are great at gettting things repaired for you pretty fast service too.

I dont know about sending the whole wheel because if they change the outer of the hub or the hub needs removing they will not rebuild the wheel.

Just send it off to Hope they are great at gettting things repaired for you pretty fast service too.

I dont know about sending the whole wheel because if they change the outer of the hub or the hub needs removing they will not rebuild the wheel.

Well, its getting sent off, on the wheel. If they need to unbuild it, then thats fine, as long as i get my hub fixed :lol:

There not in today, so just sending it off as it is heh. Given my phone number and return address so if they need to get in contact, they can.

Cheers for all the help (Y)

dont

just ring them before you do because they will be able to tell you what you need to do as they WONT unbuild your old wheel for you so you will have to unbuild re/send (if it comes to unbuilding it)

ads i found out

so i wouldnt jus give em a call up

aDAn