Maxis 2.7

Nick Garland

Shape of a tyre depends on the rim your using.

I reckon it would work if you were running a d521 with a pad bodge as the rim would give the tyre more profile and less width.

Also maxxis tyres are rather narrow for the stated size, or they used to be.

I remember old 2.5 maxxis measuring 2.25 or there abouts.

Whereas tioga over measure there tyres, they state 2.3 when infact its a 2.5/6 at least

Shape of a tyre depends on the rim your using.

I reckon it would work if you were running a d521 with a pad bodge as the rim would give the tyre more profile and less width.

Also maxxis tyres are rather narrow for the stated size, or they used to be.

I remember old 2.5 maxxis measuring 2.25 or there abouts.

Whereas tioga over measure there tyres, they state 2.3 when infact its a 2.5/6 at least

if you are using a 521 DO NOT get a 2.7 maxxis. i had bad problems with my 2.5 maxxis on a 521 as it allways popped off the rim with the slightest foldage..

I was thinking of when I get my new wheel which would be a 47mm probaboly.  Humm I spose Ill go for the 2.5 to be safe.  I could always borrow my mates front wheel which is 2.6 Gazzoldi and see how much space I have.  Thanks for help.

Better idea go to a decsent bike shop and ask if they will let you put a 2.7 tyre on a rim with an inner tube and see if it fits or the friend idea is a good one

Better idea go to a decsent bike shop and ask if they will let you put a 2.7 tyre on a rim with an inner tube and see if it fits or the friend idea is a good one

Could he not just measure the gap between his current tire and chainstays and see how much room there is?

Maaaaaaaaaaybe, but the width of the tyre varies hugely depending on rim, pressure, and so on. You don't know how wide it is in the first place anyway, so if you can test it for real that'd be better. But I suppose if he measures it and it comes out as 2.6" 'tween the stays he's raped either way.

Nah doubt it will. Wayne-King's 2.5 maxxis used to rub the stays.

but was that before or after he snapped his king axle.. can't remember :P

Sam

That was when the hub as all fine and dandy, but he had a REALLY bad wheel build, which twisted when he put power down...

I would go for 2.35 myself :P" (just to be different)

look, IT WILL NOT WORK! okay? :P levelboss's barely take a 2.5! i have less than 1mm clearence each side (and with my old wheel, the tyre rammed into the chainstay with each kickhop! was a poor build though) and it still did it when i got my HD king axle!

Edit: and why would anyone want a 2.7" rear tyre!? the weight is just stupid, and it feels horrid on the backwheel becuse the tyre has so much rolling resistance, even at high pressure

Edited by Wayne-king

Hmm Dan's running a Michelin Comp 24 2.5 in his levelboss, with a Ronnie rim, I didn't think they'd fiddled with the chain stays over the years :o

Maxxis 2.5's are no where near 2.5. So it's strange that it won't fit. Surely they'd make them so they could run their Try-All Rim and Try-All tire?

Hmm Dan's running a Michelin Comp 24 2.5 in his levelboss, with a Ronnie rim, I didn't think they'd fiddled with the chain stays over the years (Y)

Maxxis 2.5's are no where near 2.5. So it's strange that it won't fit. Surely they'd make them so they could run their Try-All Rim and Try-All tire?

2.5's do fit, but 2.7's may not...