Frame Jig

ScotchDave

Evening lads and lasses.

I want to make myself a frame because I feel nothing out there caters for me.

However I don't know how to weld, and I think that building a jig may cost a lot, so is it really necessary?

I seem to remember something about it not being used for prototype frames??

yes..it's very necessary if you want to make a frame of any quality / alignment.

you can just about get away with it only clamping the contact points (bb shell, headtube, dropouts) provided you have other stuff for the other tubes to rest on or get them a snug fit before brazing/welding.

yeah, you need a jig, unless you want your drop outs to be uneven, your head tube not 100% vertical (no horizontal degrees), your BB shell in straight, etc.

but i have the same problem as you, no one makes the frame I want.

I want a horizontal drop out, 1100wb, 40mm+ BB rise, and rear disc (Y) unless you guys know of such a frame?

Edited by CoppellStereo

yeah, you need a jig, unless you want your drop outs to be uneven, your head tube not 100% vertical (no horizontal degrees), your BB shell in straight, etc.

but i have the same problem as you, no one makes the frame I want.

I want a horizontal drop out, 1100wb, 40mm+ BB rise, and rear disc  :-  unless you guys know of such a frame?

just to say, horizontal dropouts and disk breaks are not good parteners :blink: especially when taking the rear wheel out! it means you have to take the caliper off in most cases (Y)

ah well

Evening lads and lasses.

I want to make myself a frame because I feel nothing out there caters for me.

However I don't know how to weld, and I think that building a jig may cost a lot, so is it really necessary?

I seem to remember something about it not being used for prototype frames??

Get your priorities right, man. If you can't weld, you're wasting your time making a jig. When we did our custom frame we didn't use a jig and we couldn't get it spot on, despite everything being clamped down to a lathe bed (i.e. perfectly flat). What I would suggest is:

1. Learn to weld.

2. Weld together a good quality jig

3. Now start making your frame. I'd suggest finding a frame that's closest to what you want, and building the jig round it, making small changes as you go.

Yes this will all take time, but if you actually want to get a rideable frame out of it then time is needed.

just to say, horizontal dropouts and disk breaks are not good parteners (Y) especially when taking the rear wheel out! it means you have to take the caliper off in most cases :-

ah well

yeah, i run v brakes on my BT with Plaz CRV pads with the huge CNC'd backing, and if my rim goes out of true by a hair, it will rub on the pads, so disc would handle that, and i love single speed, without derailluers, and i think mods look nice in the rear with disc and single speed, but i want that as a 26"

i'm not sure whether you see how much time and effort you will end up wasting.

I'd go back to basics, and just look for a frame that suits you... Making a frame, when your not even familiar with DIY techniques, could lead to a lot of trouble. You will never get the right weight to strength ratio, and i can garentee (sp?) that you'll end up making more than one frame. Personally i dont see the point, sorry to be a bit pessimistic. But there are plenty of frames about, i'm sure theres one for you.

Your building a frame idea is kinda like me saying i'm going to rebuild my engine, only i dont know why theres oil in it. Get my drift?

i'm not sure whether you see how much time and effort you will end up wasting.

I'd go back to basics, and just look for a frame that suits you... Making a frame, when your not even familiar with DIY techniques, could lead to a lot of trouble. You will never get the right weight to strength ratio, and i can garentee (sp?) that you'll end up making more than one frame. Personally i dont see the point, sorry to be a bit pessimistic. But there are plenty of frames about, i'm sure theres one for you.

Your building a frame idea is kinda like me saying i'm going to rebuild my engine, only i dont know why theres oil in it. Get my drift?

whats wrong with him trying? it means that if he decides to go on to be a welder in later life, he will be slightly ahead of the game, compared to someone who hasnt seen a welder before. he will be more confident with welding equipment?

sorry to be a nob, haha.

whats wrong with him trying? it means that if he decides to go on to be a welder in later life, he will be slightly ahead of the game, compared to someone who hasnt seen a welder before.  he will be more confident with welding equipment?

sorry to be a nob, haha.

i agree theres nothing wrong with him trying it out, all i'm suggesting is

a ) it will take more time and effort than you predict.. (and being a student myself understand how little of this we all have)

b ) Not meaning to be of offense, but if he hasn't found an existing frame, maybe hes not looked hard enough? But, i could and may well be wrong....

just a suggestion, i'm just casting my opinion of the topic. I also at home have the equipment to make one, but i dont have the faintest of how a welder works, hence my opinion... (Y)

edit: and yes, if i learnt to use it now, i probably could become a full time welder at some point in my life too!

Edited by skandy32

I want a 1070 +15 mm bb and 385ish stays a 73 degree head angle steel frame. Don't exist.

I am gettin some CAD software so I can get the tubeset sorted and then I'll get on with the next stage.

Don't use cad, no need.

Just get yourself a load of cheap mild steel to start with, shaping tubes is much harder that you would think hehe.

You can mix and match from diffferent bits etc, what I did, shame i've never used any of it.... (Y)

i know you can mix u match, nearly all the tubes im gunna get are gunna be gura ones, then im gunna get disk tabs..etc....

ta

Will

p.s. does this mean your selling tubes rich? if so, then pm me :-

just to say, horizontal dropouts and disk breaks are not good parteners :) especially when taking the rear wheel out! it means you have to take the caliper off in most cases :-

Not entirely true, practically ALL dirt jumpers use horizontal drop outs and a helluva lot of them use discs.

Might not be that brilliant fro trials though? I'm thinking of the force of the disc break pulling the wheel out of place?

I want a 1070 +15 mm bb and 385ish stays a 73 degree head angle steel frame. Don't exist.

Have you tried phoning companies like leeson and curtis and talking to them really nicely?

You never know.

is there a place where you can get a custom frame made if you give them specs? for cheap? :P

Clive (leeson bikes) will to a certain extent however you're pretty much having to stick to a preset frame design and just making tiny alterations.

Always worth asking though :P

yes..it's very necessary if you want to make a frame of any quality / alignment.

you can just about get away with it only clamping the contact points (bb shell, headtube, dropouts) provided you have other stuff for the other tubes to rest on or get them a snug fit before brazing/welding.

firstly this is NOT true,,

the first EVER frame i made was made with no JIG or any alignment clamp..

and it was straight,, i mean EVERYTHING was straight! it just takes more time,, i put alot of hour into making the frame ,, you just have to be skilled :)" and VERy careful and dont rush,,

i wanted the rear end to be 382mm long,, but i was willing to give or take a few mill if i had to , in order to get it perfectyl straight..

when finished it measures to 382mm exacly..it just took more time..

people are too scared of building something imperfect to even try things these days., ,try stepping away from all the dreams of CNC machines and top of the range TIG welders.

..grab your file,hammer and what ever else you have ,and go for it !

the first frame i made, was largely welded with 2 old car batterys a set of jump leads and some arc welding rods ! but the frame never cracked..

the main thing is that , in order to achieve what we think of as 'PERFECTION' dont be worried about fu<king stuff up..

iolo

I am gettin some CAD software so I can get the tubeset sorted and then I'll get on with the next stage.

i think the new monty x-lite, isnt far of that,,

1070 or 1075 wheelbase

i think 10mm BB rise

385mm rear end

and a 73 deg head angle..

consider it,,, email cleanbikes for more info,,

and i think the new Vario is even closer to what you want,,

tartybikes.co.uk are gonna have em soonish..

look into both....

you dont wanna waste alot of time and then no use/finish something that you need..

and if your current frame is fine for the time its gonna take you to build your new one,,

you could think about whether you really need to be so specific/fussy about your geo..

no offence or discouragement ment at all....just tryin to help you a bit,

Right, I typed a huge essay, posted it, came back to see if there had been replies and it had dissapeared. :)

Basically I'll sum it up

Me poor, me want to learn to weld, me want new STEEL frame, me not too bothered about geo but that would suit me best I think. :)"

Also how much for a cheap custom frame Mr Iolo? :P"

I'm not at all offended or discouraged, I have a few wee ideas I'd like to try. Also the CAD thing, I have no idea about tube thicknesses so I need it to tell me what I need. :P"

Right, I typed a huge essay, posted it, came back to see if there had been replies and it had dissapeared. :P

Basically I'll sum it up

Me poor, me want to learn to weld, me want new STEEL frame, me not too bothered about geo but that would suit me best I think.  :P"

Also how much for a cheap custom frame Mr Iolo? :P"

I'm not at all offended or discouraged, I have a few wee ideas I'd like to try. Also the CAD thing, I have no idea about tube thicknesses so I need it to tell me what I need. :-"

your gunna have to learn to ask it too remember :P

:)

Your building a frame idea is kinda like me saying i'm going to rebuild my engine, only i dont know where the oil is. Get my drift?

didnt you loose quite a bit of that oil, in your new car, that now has major problems?

just thought that was quite a funny example, about the oil in the engine

luisio