Fines

Extreme_biker0

I now know of two people who have been hit with £2,000 fines for downloading music off the internet, one of them a close friend, and she can't really afford to pay it. I'm not sure on many of the details, but she was logged downloading songs off the internet, they gave her a list of songs, how long it took her to download them, every last detail. The fine for breaching copyright (which you do when you download ONE song) is something quite high, probably >£4,000, and this £2,000 was an out of court settlement. They logged her for six months before prosecuting.

This is scary shit.

It is nowhere on the news yet but trust me it is happening to people. Do what you want, but i know this morning i removed all of my p2p applications.

Does anyone else know anyone who has been 'done'?

Do what you want, but i know this morning i removed all of my p2p applications.

RIAA - 1 Scared Kid - 0

The risks are negligible really. It is quite hard to track downloads, especially most P2P applications and the cost of investigating and proving is too high. That's why there are these 'example' cases, they're just to test the water and to scare off downloaders. Nothing's going to change in the mainstream.

How was your friend caught?

I am not a scared kid. I'm an accountant. I know about the law and money. Anyway, if they can automate the logging of people on p2p networks, think how easy it is to make money out of this thing. They send say 5 subpoena's out a day, each offering a £2,000 out of court settlement. They all pay. That's £10,000 a day. In America they are doing it because it is making the govornment a lot of money. They are sueing people 200 at a time. Dont be surprised if it comes over here.

By the way the costs of administering the fine to my friend:

1 envelope - 20p

A few sheets of paper - 2p

A guy to operate the computer they used to catch her - £100

other cheap stuff like electricity.

Like i said, she never went to court so no costs there.

Edited by Extreme_biker0

Hmm, I think it would be more than that, but we're just speculating here. It still remains that it is highly unlikely that we will be caught and prosecuted (is copyright enfringment a civil or criminal act?). I guess you can call this denial but I think it's obvious, and it's likely that the RIAA and what-have-you will go after the big sharers.

What was your friend using and how was she caught?

Servers log everything you download, they have done for years. As far as I know they have to keep your records on file for 8 years before they can remove them.

It depends on what your though, most of the data servers are just saving info about the packets etc your recieving, with little idea of the actual content of the packets.

You can get around it by running a box with smoothwall or something alike, but it's not worth it, the chances of being prosecuted are something like the same as winning the lottery. Though 'example cases' are more common in the USA so i've heard. You'd have to be loading massive amounts of data anyway...

It's a load of rubbish anyway, if you listen to internet radio, the music is being buffered to your computer as your listening to it, so during that time period your illigally storing the music... (Y)

Technically when you record a TV programe to watch later your breaking the same law...

I'd just Fdisk my computer and tell them to prove it... :-

Haha! You make me smile, because I used to think like this. And god it would be amazing if i knew two people who won the lottery! Especially a good friend! She'd be my best friend then!

She downloaded the odd song, not many. And definately not massive amounts of data, she is on 56k!

BTW just f-disking you PC wont help. You buy an 80gb h/d and msot the time you only get say 79.5gb, Whenever you delete stuff its not completly gone, theres a file on your PC that has information of everything you have deleted even if you f-disk it its stored there.

Thats why if you f-disk something and lose it you can get some funky program to recover the file. Also its fun to see what stuff you have deleted.

But on the main part of this, they are takingout the uploaders, like all the university networks where people are uploading music with their 1gb connections or whatever uni's have. Once they take out the uploaders then theres nothing for the downloaders. simple really, and after that most of the songs wont be leaked and there will just be a few left at slow speeds slowly killing off the network.

BTW just f-disking you PC wont help.  You buy an 80gb h/d and msot the time you only get say 79.5gb,  Whenever you delete stuff its not completly gone, theres a file on your PC that has information of everything you have deleted even if you f-disk it its stored there.

Just use Evidence Eleminator, 100% none retrevial of any data. No matter what software is used, it's even FBI proof.

And Your gettin confuddled, you mean when you format files aren't stored there whatever, they're just swtiched over so you can write over them.

How many times do I have to say! We are not debating here weather or not they take out people who download like 10 songs a month and hardly upload at all. Because we know they are doing. My friend was on 56k. You know, non-broadband. How could she have been a major uploader?

So is everyone continuing to download songs then?

Personally, I'd rather have £2,000 towards my new car than a hard drive full of music. The risk isn't worth it.

Some people have insane amounts of music on there PC, like >4Gb, i only have 400mb. But i'm ok as i took them all off CD's that i bought, then they were mistakenly lost and thrown into the sea. So i'm 100% legal.

You can't complain if you get fined, it is illegal afterall.

Edited by JT!

I've got 24GB of music, but all of it's legal ish. Just my own CDs and some I've borrowed. I suppose that's not particularly legal... But I haven't been near a P2P program in years.

Well Im sure someone will say Im BSing here but I have 50gb on here now and thats all I can fit due to h/d lmiitations but I have 104 700mb cd's filled up so thats 67gb odd if you take each with 650mb on each, although most are 700mb odd. And yes I have listened to it all, and yes I do like it all.

Do I need it all, no, thus I only have 50gb on pc now. Some of it is from borrowing cds like about 10gb worth, the rest is illegally downloading, but Ive stopped now except the odd album I really want, or a Promo, if I really like it I'll go buy it.

Edited by Team War Rider

The Americans sued some diasbled girl. They are trying to set examples. We'll sue a disabled girl so we'll sue you sorta thing. IF it worries you do it if not don't do it.

Yes the last bit is mixed up and yes I can't be bothered changing it.

Edited by MrMonkey

erm on kazaa it says i'm sharing 28 files - but i'm not as i keep no files in my shared folder and always click stop sharing as soon as i download.

please help me get rid of this

Get the hell off P2P then, what's the point in taking but not giving?

Out of interest what music are these people that you know that got done for downloading music into?

I can imagine people getting f**ked for downloading stuff thats really popular... Ie most pop music, indie stuff (the killers... I bet she downloaded something of theirs) and older rock music.

I cant see them being so bothered about people downloading some obscure hardcore music that doesnt make them money.