Locking Folders On Xp

TomR

Any chance of somekind of screenshot of what you`re looking at?

On my XP Pro, if there is more than one user you can make certain folders private but not them lock, however you can get some additional software that enable you to lock and hide folders for network purposes.

Right click folder > Click Advanced > Encrypt (bottom option) > Click the check box.

Only you can now read/edit that file. If you logout, then log back in as someone else, they can view the file, but can't view the contents.

Not sure if thats what your after?

While we're here, is there any way to put a lock on a folder/file, so that you have to type a password to get at it?

I just use PGP. I have an image thats 80 Gigs and 256Bit Encrypted with two fish i think don't quote me on the style. But yea, i just double click the image and PGP adds like a 4th hard drive under 'my computer' that has the contents of the image in there. I use it mostly for my music and msn chat logs.

PGP Is the way forward, funnily enough there is an aplication 'folder lock' that puts a password on a folder but that is a simple windows service and can be stopped under Administraion Services. It was on some free CD i got donkeys ago

Edited by Tim