Wtd: Digital Camera Recommendations

Heatsink

Hi,

Thought it would be a good idea to add to some research I've been doing into this by getting some recommendations from you guys :S

I've made some poor choices on digital cameras in the past when left to my own devices!

Here are some features I've come to think are good for my needs.

* Multiple shot function (for capturing moves in a sequence of shots)

* No more than 4 Mega Pixels (2 is enough but not many cameras sold with this spec)

* Simple to use user interface (I have no need for loads of pre-set scenes etc, just want a good point and shoot)

* Cable download not cradle (so can download on any PC)

* Takes 2xAA batteries (go anywhere use - never get caught short like I have been with a Li-Ion battery)

* Medium size (Not pocket size since the lens is too small and they're too fiddly to hold. Not full SLR size because these are just too bulky for me)

* Video with 640x480 pixel output (VGA size) with 30frames per sec (fps) and sound

The current cameras I have are:

Fuji FinePix A204 (2Mp) - a good purchase!

+ Excellent Picture quality

+ Simple to use user interface

+ Good size to hold

- No sequencial shot feature

- No sound on video, and only 320x240 pixels and 10fps

Casio Exilim Z40 (4Mp) - a bad purchase!

+ Very small (I now realise this is not a good idea!)

- Bad picture quality because Lens too small, lots of image noise especially in low light conditions and indoors

- Too small to easily hold

- Too many unnecessary features

- Li-Ion battery and charging cradle - Would prefer the simple and more portable 2xAA battery and cable download of the FujiA204

I've been looking at cameras such as:

Canon Powershot A510, A520 (but they need 4 AA batteries not 2!)

Fuji Finepix E500, S3500

And some Olympus cameras too.

I really need to check these out in a shop so that I can see how the UI works and to find out about features that aren't usually listed or clear in web based specs (although when I pop into a high street shop on every occasion so far I've found that I know the cameras better than the shop staff from just reading about them on the web!)

First hand feedback from people who've have the time to get to know cameras is really valuable, especially from fellow riders who are likely to want many of the same things I want from a camera.

Look forward to receiving your recommendations.

Steve

I'm sure you are aware that image quality is not completely defined by the number of pixels. However, more pixels is pretty much always better - Allows you to zoom in on a photo and cut some of the background out or something. If you can, try and take some photos in different scenarios and see what the colours look like. With my camera, it takes really nice, vibrant photos in bright daylight/outside in the daytime. In the dark, the flash tends to make everything looked a bit washed out. Switch the flash off and the pics look good, but are very blurry (holding the camera in your hands is not an option - tripod required). Although I think that is something that all digital cameras suffer from. The other thing is photos in snow aren't great either. In that respect, I've heard good things about the Olympus Mu cameras, but they are definitely pocket-sized and perhaps suffer from the problems your Casio had.

As for videos and frame rate, I wouldn't bother. Get a camera that does nice photos. Digital cameras are never great for video, really.

I can't really fault my camera - it's stuck with me through everything, and even worked when I poured beer in the battery slot ( :S ) It's an Olympus C360z - Might be worth looking at the C370Z (updated model). I'm pretty sure that fits the bill (apart from the video which I imagine is 320x240x25fps like mine). Not too expensive either. How much were you wanting to spend?

I'd recommend a Sony W12. Will write more later when (hopefully) my net connection works for more than 2 mins at a time!!!

^ If this is the one you use for your photos in your shop etc, then the image quality is very good :S

It's a bit annoying because we paid £250 for the Casio which can now be bought for £150 6 months later. If we'd have bought a bulkier camera 1st time around(which wouldn't be hampered by the lens size image quality problems) then I don't think I'd be in this situation now of still looking around!

Price wise, I think I'll have to compromise on the video quality aspect. I think I'd probabily be quite happy with the spec of the camera you suggest Tom considering the price at less than £100. Can you set it off on a timer and have the sort of scatter shot feature where it takes say 10 pics in a second. This would be perfect for when it's set-up on a tripod and I trying to catch myself doing a move.

I guess the more realistic spec would be video better than 10fps, and the scatter shot feature in a 2-3Mpa camera. I've learnt from the Casio that I don't need more all the fancy features!

Thanks for your ideas and keep the suggestions coming :P

Steve

It's a bit annoying because we paid £250 for the Casio which can now be bought for £150 6 months later. If we'd have bought a bulkier camera 1st time around(which wouldn't be hampered by the lens size image quality problems) then I don't think I'd be in this situation now of still looking around!
That's technology for you. My camera was around £200 a year ago :S Still, I've got some great photos to show for it, and you can't always wait for next year's prices...

Can you set it off on a timer and have the sort of scatter shot feature where it takes say 10 pics in a second. This would be perfect for when it's set-up on a tripod and I trying to catch myself doing a move.

I think 10 pics/second is a bit hopeful on a cheap camera, but mine does 5 in quick succession. I didn't actually realise you could combine it with the timer, but you can. Although there is a 10 second delay, followed by the five pictures. Might still be hard to time it right. Although it does give you some warning beeps. Having said that, the updated model might be better, or maybe worse to save costs. Not sure, but my camera looks nothing like the one in the picture (although the feature list is almost identical)!

I've been immensly impressed with my Canon Powershot A75. Admittedly it takes 4xAA batteries which may not be seen as a good thing, but I bought a set of 8 2000mAhr batteries plus charger from the same shop for a very good price and from what I've experienced you can never have too many spare batteries.

It's not actually that bulky for the amount of batteries (something I was a little concerned about when purchasing it), and the placement of the battery compartment makes for a very comfortable grip.

Spec wise its a 3.2 megapixel camera with a 3x optical zoom. It has the ability to put new lenses on (such as fisheye, and various other zooms). It has the multi-shot feature plus lot of other modes and settings if you want to dabble. But from the sounds of it you are like me and just want it work out of the box, and for that the 'auto' mode is excellent, I've hardly used any of the others.

Lastly it's simple to use, connecting to a pc is as simple as connecting the cable and turing on the camera, I've not even had to install any drivers.

It's a quite an old model, so availablilty might be an issue, though I found the other two from the same range (the A85 and A95) here at the place I got mine from. The also do the two Canon cameras you mentioned.

I would certainly recommend Canon as a make from what I've experienced :S

Thanks for that Tom :S

It may be that the sucessive shots feature turns out to be of no real use. I was wondering whether it could be used with the timer for shots of me riding, and also if it could help to catch the best moment when taking pictures of others:

For example this fluky shot I caught at it's most impressive moment:

gallery_201_104_132533.jpg

Some times a single shot doesn't do the full extent of a Trials move justice. It's really cool to capture the whole thing in a single shot.

bike2.jpg

^ This sort of thing.

I think it would be really useful if people can tell me what specs & features they've found to be great for Trials use because what I think I want may be a bit off at the moment!

Steve

The multi shot can be useful if you want a long move, but not as a video. It will require a bit of photoshoping to get right but the results can be impressive. I've found the most useful features for me have been a zoom (for when you can't get close enough) and a setting for high speed shutter (when moves get a little faster). I'm certainly not one who likes to spend half an hour setting up a shot :S

An example of multishot:

^ If this is the one you use for your photos in your shop etc, then the image quality is very good :S

Some of them, yes. Its been used for the outdoor shots, but not (most of) the photoshopped ones.

If you'd like me to email you a few example (uncompressed) pics from my camera, let me know Steve :P

As for features...

15fps 640x480 video with sound

5mp

Infra-red night focusing light (absolutely awesome, very hard to trick it!)

Various flash levels (and very bright too)

Multi-shot mode

Manually adjustable shutter speed/aperture (but not extensive. Still does 1/1000 sec -> 30s, and a couple of apertures)

Various 'pre-set' modes, all selected easily

Very large LCD screen on the back

Simple interface (Ive not used the manual yet!)

Comes with case, 128 and 16mb cards, 4x NiMh batteries and charger (only requires 2, and the batteries last me usually around 250 pictures)

Stylish black finish

As recommended by Chris Ratcliff (hehe)

I think i paid £299 from Jessops, probably a bit cheaper now!

I've just found that you can get the Fuji S5100 for the price of the S3100 in the high street. £190ish (postage not included)

Seven day shop

S5100 review on Megapixel.net

It's got good zoom capabilities (which I may or may not find useful) is really nice to hold, and has the 640x280 30fps and the multiple shots thingy.

That reviews site is really detailed Andy - That'll come in handy :P

Thanks for all your recommendations and info Stevo/Adam/Andy/Tomm :S

I'm sure to have some more recommendations when school's out :lol:

Steve

That would probably be the camera I would get if I ever wanted a new one, or something similar. I.e. One with a few more features (manual focus, apertures etc). However, there's definitely something to be said for having a small (ish) camera that you can take everywhere. With my camera it's just small enough to fit in your pocket, which is definitely a plus. Although if you already have the Casio one, you could buy this as a more "serious" camera :S

Hey Steve,

That camera above(the S5100) is the same camera as what I have! I really cant explain how happy I am with it! The functions, looks and weight are perfect!

The manual mode is great, can choose manual focus, shutter and aperture setting as well as many other preset modes. The shutter speed is great and you can capture any moment as all you have to do is hold the button down half way and then just click and it takes it exactly when you want it, not like some cameras where you have to guess the timing to get the perfect moment!

I would definitely recomended this camera!!!!!!!!!!!!

Heres an example of some of the pictures I have taken with that camera (S5500)

just to show how precise it is and how good image quality is.

CLICK!

some more examples

CLICK!!

Any more questions give us a shout!

Cheers Rob :S :P

• 2 months later...
Thanks for that Tom (Y)

It may be that the sucessive shots feature turns out to be of no real use. I was wondering whether it could be used with the timer for shots of me riding, and also if it could help to catch the best moment when taking pictures of others:

For example this fluky shot I caught at it's most impressive moment:

gallery_201_104_132533.jpg

Some times a single shot doesn't do the full extent of a Trials move justice. It's really cool to capture the whole thing in a single shot.

bike2.jpg

^ This sort of thing.

nice pic,

where is that anyway?

it looks like an amazing place to ride...

sorry if this is off topic (Y)

heres my camera:

cam410-2.jpg

quite good I think you would agree!

and heres a good quality image I took of a temple which was in my garden.

camera_todo_3.gif

cost me about 70p from a stationary and craft shop.

Edited by MC-Bolo!