Tyre Tapping........

pock3t

Hi peeps,

Im just making a new thread asking about tyre tapping on mods, Is tyre tapping more for a stock than a mod, because ive recently been watching a few vids and noticed that no one really does them on a mod, and when I try and do them I can only do 30" tap at record. does anyone know of any vids or anyone who has done a fairly high tyretap on a mod. charzzz

Pock3t (Y)

What sort of tyre-tap do you mean? D'you mean like an abubaca where you go straight up and come back down fakie and roll out, or more like a fufanu where you'll go at an angle?

Don't really mind doing abubacas. Prefer doing them up steps for some reason (like roll along the floor at bottom of steps, then boost up to X step height, plant the back wheel, launch off backwards). Got a fufanu on this weird bank->tree root thing, but I need to practise them loads more.

Do "tyre taps" in a BMXing sense sometimes though, but I just do abubacas mostly...

I think maybe he means 'tapping' or front touch?

If so, yes its more suited to stock riders but mods can do it too. When I had my mod I found it look a lot more balls to tap a mod. The fact you had to get very close before boosting up put the shits up me.

Aaaaaaaaaah, I see - front touching. Yeah...

Since I got 175mm cranks on mine, it meant I had to take off later in general to actually get the power down properly (spinnier 'n' stuff, so I had to kick later to get the same power). This meant I was sorta forced into doing front touches more just because of the later take-off. I haven't properly learnt taps yet, but I've done some accidental ones out on rides, so my highest 'accidental tap' was around 48"...

Mark

What sort of tyre-tap do you mean?  D'you mean like an abubaca where you go straight up and come back down fakie and roll out, or more like a fufanu where you'll go at an angle?

Don't really mind doing abubacas.  Prefer doing them up steps for some reason (like roll along the floor at bottom of steps, then boost up to X step height, plant the back wheel, launch off backwards).  Got a fufanu on this weird bank->tree root thing, but I need to practise them loads more.

Do "tyre taps" in a BMXing sense sometimes though, but I just do abubacas mostly...

Im not sure what you mean when you say abubaca or fafanu if its bmx slang, then I dont know. The one im on about is where you ride up to a wall, wack your front tyre on the top of the wall, or railing if your CLS (Y) and use your momentum to send you up to the back wheel.

Pock3t

i think he mea`ns as in tapping into the face of the wall mark..

yeah some 20 inchers tap.. but i also know of quite a few that just use the weight of the bike to there advantage and just throw it up

I think we need a thread for the proper names for certain moves lol

lol i think it was tried before agessssss ago and just ended up in a huge argument over which was better, then all the "newer" riders came along with their stupidly named moves... "james' frog jump"

I believe Mr. Ben Slinger can front touch / tap fairly high on his mod. I seem to remember he does the smaller part of the Coust wall (slightly sloped brick wall) on the TRA England 2 video... Very nicely i might add (Y)"

I believe Mr. Ben Slinger can front touch / tap fairly high on his mod. I seem to remember he does the smaller part of the Coust wall (slightly sloped brick wall) on the TRA England 2 video... Very nicely i might add  (Y)"

slinger doesn't tap

The main thing to remember on mod's is that it's so much easier to bunnyhop. For smaller ups a touch can be used but due to the 'dodginess' because of the small wheels and the limits of what's possible due to wheelbase issues they have limitations. I can stick a tap in on mod up to about 45" or so, then it just feels wrong. But then I just pedal hop up stuff or bunnyhop it to back wheel.

Dave

The main thing to remember on mod's is that it's so much easier to bunnyhop. For smaller ups a touch can be used but due to the 'dodginess' because of the small wheels and the limits of what's possible due to wheelbase issues they have limitations. I can stick a tap in on mod up to about 45" or so, then it just feels wrong. But then I just pedal hop up stuff or bunnyhop it to back wheel.

Dave

Yeah, same here really. I just find it a lot 'easier' to bunnyhop or pedal up. I say "easier" - when taps go OK, they're fine, but I'm a LOT more consistent with straight upping. Just sucks that all these stock riders are getting 50-55" tapping, and I'm limited to 50" pedalling up :deej: Just need to get a bit better at doing it I guess, but I don't really know what the limits are. Probably a good thing I guess (Y)

Mark

slinger doesn't tap

He did on the tra england 2 video when he had his t-lite...

There are quite a few mod riders now who tap, alex markwart has some good practice vids riding his mod with slo-mo moves in, one of them has a big tap at the end of it, which was well over bar height...you can see the vids on Observed Trials under the video section, then click on canberra trials and go on single rider practice videos, you have to be signed up as a member though...

I ride mod and i tap (koxx lb long) its not the easest thing in the world but its good if you have a small ammount of run up...if i have a big enough run up i just whack the speed up fly at it and either bunny hop or just pedale up it like normal with out the tap...

Nick.