Im Soooo Confused, Disk Or Magura

HargrovesToby

hi there,

I am going to be building up my new bike soon with a new toxin frame, koxx forks, and high spec onza wheels etc, but ive hit a hard spot....

.....i am not sure wether to go disk or magura on the front, i no that disks can be imensely powerful but i also know that they are crap from the downhill racing i do. I saw the kot promo video from tartyybikes the other day and that rider looked imense with a magura.

so whats your imput, a magura at the front, or a disk.

(p.s. the new magura wont be a 2005 as i think the lever metal is crap!!!!)

cheers,

Toby

Well both will give you a good front brake, since both are very poweful..Its all really your preference, maguras tend to give a very good on/off type brake, and discs will usually give you more modulation but will still lock the wheel if they need to, its all down to how you want to ride i think

What are you lot banging on about, disk for modulation, pah! My avid has immense power! I cant handle the crapness of maggies anymore, it makes me sigh that people still use them. But eh, each to their own.

maguras are far too inconsistent, overpriced and an arse to set up!

get a

decent vee: sdy calliper on an xtr lever/avid ultimate set up with nokon cables and some heatsink pads if you need any extra power

or a disc: avid 185 on an xtr/avid ultimate lever and nokon cable or a hope mono trial

simple matey ^_^

id go for my set up anytime-avid 185(160 lacks hold-had 1 before but im almost 13 stone), nokon cable and a ultimate lever (used to have xtr and that was sweet too :P )

Dependant on:

the conditions and area you ride?

Weather you want to maintain it all the time?

How much you've got to spend.

The list goes on , As for discs in downhill and in trials, downhill they are being used at high speed where as trials its all modulation.

So what you think is crap may be really good on a trials bike for instance the Avid's. I would go with a v-brake as I've seen the setups they give but don't over look the avid's cable disc :("

Craig

Maguras Are The BEst!

Think before you post (Y)

Get a disc on the front, mine is so powerful (Magura Louise FR) I cant really imagine using a maggy on the front again :D

And youve got the advantage of it still be powerful in the wet

They are extremely powerful, I got one in 180 (had to send it back, but thats another story) and I feel I could have easily got away with a 160, I'm 13 stone and I like a powerful brake. :P

EDIT

So in other words, a 160 will be plenty. :D

Edited by div